#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

Just finished brewing this one today.  I wanted a nice cream ale on tap for when it gets hot in the next month or so.

5 lb Weyermann Pils

1 lb Weyermann Munich

3 lb flaked corn

1 oz Hallertau (4.7% AA, pellets), 90 min boil

US-05 will do the heavy lifting in primary.

This one should clock in at ~5.5% (mashing low at 149°F for 90 min should help), ~16 IBU's, and ~4 SRM, for 5.5 gallons into the 1°.

Bklmt2000

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

Nice simple recipe ~ I like it.  The style is one of my summer favorites. 

I just kicked a keg of an 'out of style' Imperial Cream 7.0%.  I over shot my anticipated gravity/efficiency.  It went fast with friends and family.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

American as opposed to......?

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:06 PM

Good question.  I've always heard it referred to as "American" cream ale.

American, cuz its made in America, in this case, in my garage? B)

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

Well, throw in some 6-Row and you have Classic American Cream Ale. I think it almost qualifies as a one of the few American brews. And maybe it does.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

Bklmt: Have you made this beer before? I would probably be a little squeamish using 30% flaked corn but that's only because I haven't tried it. The funny thing about corn is that sometimes you see that it 'lightens and dries out' the beer while other times you see people say that it 'lends a nice sweetness' to the beer. Those two things are contradictory, I would think. Sounds like a beer I'd like to try for the warmer summer months. Cheers.

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ken:  Yes, i've made this beer several times over the years, but usually with American 2-row (think Briess) in lieu of the listed Weyermann Pils.  Always turned out well, too.

I realize 30% of the grain bill being corn may seem like a lot, but in my experience with this recipe, I've found that mashing long and low (sub-150°F for 75-90 minutes, preferably 90) helps dry the beer out, and I also haven't noticed any particular sweetness some might attribute to the corn.

I pitched a nice blob of US-05, which I expect will tear through this recipe and further dry it out, which is exactly what I'm after.  Something pale, fizzy, and <6%, but satisfying when it's hotter than hell out.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic once this batch is kegged and tapped.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

Ken:  Yes, i've made this beer several times over the years, but usually with American 2-row (think Briess) in lieu of the listed Weyermann Pils.  Always turned out well, too.   I realize 30% of the grain bill being corn may seem like a lot, but in my experience with this recipe, I've found that mashing long and low (sub-150°F for 75-90 minutes, preferably 90) helps dry the beer out, and I also haven't noticed any particular sweetness some might attribute to the corn.   I pitched a nice blob of US-05, which I expect will tear through this recipe and further dry it out, which is exactly what I'm after.  Something pale, fizzy, and <6%, but satisfying when it's hotter than hell out.   If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic once this batch is kegged and tapped.

Yeah, yeah... post a pic for sure. I like the use of the Munich in there too so that it has some depth and character. I agree that the US05 will rip through it so it should be dry as you say.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

The one I made with ~20% masa tasted nice going into the keg.

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Well, throw in some 6-Row and you have Classic American Cream Ale. I think it almost qualifies as a one of the few American brews. And maybe it does.

Invented at Genny, so yeah :)

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

My batch calls for 1/2 pound each flaked corn and barley.  Offers a very creamy flavor.  The key ingredient with my set up is a large handful of rice hulls.  This is my only recipe that scares me some at 1st runnings.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

at what temp do you ferment this at?

#13 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

drez: I'm fermenting this in the mid-low 60's w/ US-05, and once primary is done, this beer will get 3-4 weeks in the lagering fridge before tapping.

My fermenter (an Ale Pail) is sitting in an old Ice Cube cooler, in a water bath, and I cycle frozen water bottles through as needed to maintain temps.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:32 AM

drez: I'm fermenting this in the mid-low 60's w/ US-05, and once primary is done, this beer will get 3-4 weeks in the lagering fridge before tapping.   My fermenter (an Ale Pail) is sitting in an old Ice Cube cooler, in a water bath, and I cycle frozen water bottles through as needed to maintain temps.

ALL OF THIS ^^^^^^^

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:37 AM

Thanks, that is where I assumed the temp would be but wanted to double check.

#16 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Trying a masa version tomorrow, possibly with some crystal 80 to give it a little color because of my yellowbeerphobia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users