100 replies to this topic

#61 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:19 AM

so would anyone like to perhaps make some predictions about how the two beers will compare (S-04 vs US-05)?  I plan to ferment them under the same conditions, that is with my temp probe kind of jammed inbetween them with temp controller set to something like 63-64F initially and then I'll let it naturally rise up to 66-67F after a twoish days.

I assume the S-05 beer will be drier and have less body where the S-04 beer will finish higher, have more body and more esters.  I also will say the S-04 beer will have less perceived hoppyness. 

These are just my assumptions.

#62 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

I assume the S-05 beer will be drier and have less body where the S-04 beer will finish higher, have more body and more esters.  I also will say the S-04 beer will have less perceived hoppyness. 

These are just my assumptions.

Exactly this would be my guess. The one hoppy beer I made with S-04 had a very muddy and generic hop character. You could smell them nicely but the flavors weren't clear at all.

#63 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

good guesses.  very by the book ;)

#64 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

good guesses.  very by the book ;)

I'll guess the S-04 beer will finish almost exactly the same gravity, just a hair higher, will be a little bready, but will clear twice as quickly, and be your favorite of the 2.

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

I'll guess the S-04 beer will finish almost exactly the same gravity, just a hair higher, will be a little bready, but will clear twice as quickly, and be your favorite of the 2.

bold move by mean mic!

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

I have to say - the smell of these two beers fermenting in the chest freezer is awesome.  I wish I could tell which beer had which smell but mixed together it's great.  maybe I'll be doing some blended pours after these are kegged ;)

#67 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

bold move by mean mic!

bold indeed.  I am awaiting the results. 

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

bold indeed.  I am awaiting the results. 

you must have done this experiment in the past, right?

#69 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

you must have done this experiment in the past, right?

same beer with those to yeast yes but it was not side by side. 

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

same beer with those to yeast yes but it was not side by side. 

ah - gotcha!  did you do a split batch with the BRY-97 vs US-05 beer?

#71 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

ah - gotcha!  did you do a split batch with the BRY-97 vs US-05 beer?

yes, that was a split of Holiday Hug IPA.

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

gravities are in:

US-05: 1.012

S-04: 1.013

as of now it's hard to tell much about them.  I think i could convince myself the US-05 has more hop aroma.  with no carb in either it's pretty tough to tell.  the S-04 tastes slightly better to me but that could just b/c there is less yeast floating around in it.

#73 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

gravities are in:

US-05: 1.012

S-04: 1.013

as of now it's hard to tell much about them.  I think i could convince myself the US-05 has more hop aroma.  with no carb in either it's pretty tough to tell.  the S-04 tastes slightly better to me but that could just b/c there is less yeast floating around in it.

That is because there is nothing wrong with esters in hoppy beers.  NW APA/IPAs are made with 007/1098/1968/002 all the time and are wonderful and if nothing else more complex than a beer using a neutral yeast like 1056.  That being said... I like beer made with s04 and beer made with s05.  I'm not finicky.. Hell... I even found new love for the Nottingham.  See my hoppy brown recipe.

#74 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

That is because there is nothing wrong with esters in hoppy beers.  NW APA/IPAs are made with 007/1098/1968/002 all the time and are wonderful and if nothing else more complex than a beer using a neutral yeast like 1056.  That being said... I like beer made with s04 and beer made with s05.  I'm not finicky.. Hell... I even found new love for the Nottingham.  See my hoppy brown recipe.

It may be me but I think 007 and 002 are less estery than s-04.  For some reason I did not like the real hoppy beers I did with S-04, it may be me though.  I do love it in other beers and always have some around.  Thinking of using it in my next smoked brown ale.

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:22 AM

it's pretty tough to tell much about the beer right now.  in a week or so I'll be able to say a lot more.

#76 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

the chamber is getting the beer nice and cold and the kegs are assembled with some sanitizer in them.  probably keg tomorrow night or the next.

#77 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

so thirsty for fresh beer.....

#78 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

so I kegged the beers tonight.

as of right now the color and clarity is pretty much identical (both cloudy right now).  of course it's very early to tell on the clarity but I feel fairly confident that the nice copper color will probably be the same in both.

the aromas are similar.  neither is super hoppy right now and I doubt they will be even with more carbonation.  I think my perception of hop aroma has been seriously thrown off by dry hopping and if it isn't dry hopped it rarely has enough aroma for me to consider it "hoppy" anymore.  I guess I could give a slight hop aroma edge to the US-05 version at this point.  The S-04 has a slightly estery "British" character that you might expect but it's very subdued at this point.

the tastes are also pretty similar but with a couple of differences.  the S-04 is slightly more fruity.  The US-05 is slightly more grassy.  They both taste similar in terms of dryness.  They both have a fairly thick body with some toasty character that I'm guessing is from the victory malt.

I'll update this again when they have conditioned for a week or two and have carbed to a reasonable level.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 04 October 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#79 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

unbelievably I think I prefer the S-04 version right now.  we'll see if that changes...

#80 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Don't let Denny know :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users