#1 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

I was in TX for work and drank Prarie Bible Belt on draft a few nights and then brought back a few bottles to Chicago.  I was wondering, do any of you guys brew a stout with peppers like that?  It was frickin' fantastic and would love some input on it.

https://prairieales....eer/bible-belt/

https://www.beeradvo...e/30356/115939/

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Aye carumba. 13% and 65 IBU? Whoo boy. Never heard of it but I'd bet someone here knows about it and has a feel for how to get close. Also, and as always, these craft brewers would probably be open to sharing some information with you. The last two times I have emailed head brewers for information on their beers, I got very detailed information on the recipe and the brewing process (the guy at Metropolitan, Doug Hurst went as far as to say... "Ferment at 61° for 12 days...", etc) so send them an email and see what you get. Then brew it and tell me when I can come over and try it! Cheers.

#3 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

It's the perfect blend of Chilli Peppers, Vanilla and Chocolate.  It is SO dang good!  OK, I'm going to email Prairie and see what they say.

Anyone here brew with Chilli's before?  I never have and would like some information on how and when.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

This post has sparked my interest with huge scoville units.  If you get any responses, please share please.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

While not the same beer you may want to some research on cigar city hunahpu, they also use chili peppers and chocolate and it is a wonderful beer when fresh. 

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

When brewers use peppers, do they usually cut them up, add them to vodka (or similar) to make a pepper tincture and then add that to the secondary?  Do they just add the peppers straight to the secondary and screw the tincture?  I could see the vanilla being relatively easy.  I don't think I have ever used chocolate (we're talking chocolate chocolate right?  Not Chocolate malt) so not sure about that part.  Mark, I would bet that the brewers there will at least give you some information so you could get to a starting point... they're very good about that.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

I've been wondering around this one for a while now. https://www.northern...n/AG-Gojira.pdf

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

When brewers use peppers, do they usually cut them up, add them to vodka (or similar) to make a pepper tincture and then add that to the secondary?  Do they just add the peppers straight to the secondary and screw the tincture?  I could see the vanilla being relatively easy.  I don't think I have ever used chocolate (we're talking chocolate chocolate right?  Not Chocolate malt) so not sure about that part.  Mark, I would bet that the brewers there will at least give you some information so you could get to a starting point... they're very good about that.

Cut them up and add them, typically a tincture is not used.  Chocolate a lot of times is done as nibs.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Cut them up and add them, typically a tincture is not used.  Chocolate a lot of times is done as nibs.

Okay, so raw cut-up peppers right into the secondary. Maybe the guys at the brewery will say what kind of peppers and how much per 5 gallons (or something usable). On the nibs, is there an oil concern at all? Oil from the nib futzing with head retention, etc? I assume NO but just thinking out loud.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Okay, so raw cut-up peppers right into the secondary. Maybe the guys at the brewery will say what kind of peppers and how much per 5 gallons (or something usable). On the nibs, is there an oil concern at all? Oil from the nib futzing with head retention, etc? I assume NO but just thinking out loud.

This was for hunahpu but it is fitting for information

"I won't comment on amounts. I will fill in the gaps. Cacao(only from a certain region of the world), cinnamon(a specific type of cinnamon), ancho, pasilla, guajillo(all chiles dried and chopped) and vanilla beans(specific type). "

#11 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ken - I make Chocolate Oatmeal Stouts all the time.  I use 8oz of the Cacao Nibs from "The Spice House" in old town.  Stouts turn out like liquid chocolate, so good!  I'm fine with the Chocolate and the Vanilla, it's just the peppers that I can't figure out how much to use.  What peppers?  I don't want this thing to be dark colored fire water....

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ken - I make Chocolate Oatmeal Stouts all the time.  I use 8oz of the Cacao Nibs from "The Spice House" in old town.  Stouts turn out like liquid chocolate, so good!  I'm fine with the Chocolate and the Vanilla, it's just the peppers that I can't figure out how much to use.  What peppers?  I don't want this thing to be dark colored fire water....

Okay, so email the brewery and tell them that you're a hotshot homebrewer and you know how to use the chocolate & vanilla but not the peppers. Tell them that you have won the Sam Adams Longshot and all of that... they'll appreciate it. Ask about which hops they use (unless you already know) and the peppers and my guess is that you will have a good springboard at that point. Now I want to come over and help you make it because it's got such a multi-faceted character.

Edited by KenLenard, 24 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#13 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Okay, so email the brewery and tell them that you're a hotshot homebrewer and you know how to use the chocolate & vanilla but not the peppers. Tell them that you have won the Sam Adams Longshot and all of that... they'll appreciate it. Ask about which hops they use (unless you already know) and the peppers and my guess is that you will have a good springboard at that point. Now I want to come over and help you make it because it's got such a multi-faceted character.

I emailed them over the weekend and haven't heard anything yet....

Will keep you posted if I do!

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

I emailed them over the weekend and haven't heard anything yet....   Will keep you posted if I do!

Those are usually low-priority emails that are picked up by administrative people who eventually forward them to the brewers so it may take awhile. I hate to say it but unfortunately there ARE some places that will not give you information. I know you said that the Careys gave you info at New Glarus but when I emailed them and got the wife (Deb?), she would not help me one bit. She said that the industry was too competitive for that. :(

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

From a barrel at Cigar City.  May give some idea on amounts of peppers

httpss://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/998545_595734533781394_1191558133_n.jpg

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Wow, cool. How many gallons do you think all of that was for? Did someone sneakily snap that pic while on a tour of Cigar City? Sweetness.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Wow, cool. How many gallons do you think all of that was for? Did someone sneakily snap that pic while on a tour of Cigar City? Sweetness.

It was mentioned 53g but I would just go with 60g to be safe.  It was taken on a tour from what I could find out, possible a members only tour?

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

If those are decimals, it seems like it would not be enough for 53 gallons??????

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

If those are decimals, it seems like it would not be enough for 53 gallons??????

I am assuming dried peppers

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53988 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, I thought the amounts were very small. Does Hunaphu (sp?) have a BIG pepper flavor or is it way in the back? If it were 60 gallons, you would take all of those numbers and use just 1/12th of it... pretty small amounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users