#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, I thought the amounts were very small. Does Hunaphu (sp?) have a BIG pepper flavor or is it way in the back? If it were 60 gallons, you would take all of those numbers and use just 1/12th of it... pretty small amounts.

yeah that's what?  .4 ozs for 5 gallons?

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

yeah that's what?  .4 ozs for 5 gallons?

I get .53oz of dried peppers (varieties combined) which I would think would be noticeable. The pasillas and guajillos will bring some heat but they aren't scorching.

Does that beer have a character/flavor of peppers or just some noticeable heat or both?

#23 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

I get .53oz of dried peppers (varieties combined) which I would think would be noticeable. The pasillas and guajillos will bring some heat but they aren't scorching.

Does that beer have a character/flavor of peppers or just some noticeable heat or both?

I are a dumbass, I some how did the math for .3 lbs DERP, no experience with the beer personally, but 1/2 oz of dried chilis should be pretty noticible

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Interesting. This is not really my kind of beer but a stout with vanilla, chocolate and peppers? Hmm.  :scratch:

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Interesting. This is not really my kind of beer but a stout with vanilla, chocolate and peppers? Hmm.  :scratch:

Do it!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

Do it!

No, no. I don't want to make it... I just want to taste it. Rich has mentioned that this Hunaphu is about as hard to get as a date with Kate Upton and Mark found the other one in TX.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:03 AM

Some more reading

https://www.themadfe...one-recipe.html

9/25/11 Filled a 1 gallon just with 1 1/8 oz Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 each guajillo and ancho peppers all steeped in 1 cup of boiling water. 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract added as well.

https://www.themadfe...rial-stout.html

Also the Hunahpu clone on HBT lists this

Secondary Fermentation
30-60 days @ 60F - Bulk aging on flavor additions, and in a bourbon barrel

[*]1oz Ancho Chiles
    [*]1 Vanilla bean, split
    [*]1/2 Cinnamon Stick
    [*]6 oz Cocoa Powder
    [/list]

I have not have Bible belt so i cannot comment on teh spice but fresh Hunahpu has some spice but it is not overpowering. 

I have been thinking about this and I wounder if you could use something like a french press or and aeropress and use a small amount of peppers and spices with an existing beer just to get and idea of character.  Similar to what the bruery did here https://bruery.blogs...barelywine.html

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have 2 bottles of Prairie Bomb! on the way so I will be able to give the beer a taste and get a better idea what you are looking for.  As far as I can tell Bomb! and Bible Belt are similar.

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Man, there's not a beer on Prairie's website I wouldn't mind sampling...

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Man, there's not a beer on Prairie's website I wouldn't mind sampling...

I have Bomb! and 'Merica on the way.  I have had Puncheon before and it was very nice.

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

... must have a great source...

#32 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have 2 bottles of Prairie Bomb! on the way so I will be able to give the beer a taste and get a better idea what you are looking for.  As far as I can tell Bomb! and Bible Belt are similar.

Yes, Bomb! and Bible Belt are very similar beers.  In TX these suckers are on tap all over.  Every business trip I take down there I drink the hell out of them. 

Ken - It's very complex (Peppers, Chocolate and Vanilla) but dang tastey and interesting. 

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

I tried Bomb! over the weekend and it was an excellent beer.  I will say though, I did not pick up the peppers at all.  At least not as much as I picked them up in fresh Hunuhpu.  I will say though, Bomb! is like motor oil, damn that is a thick beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users