#41 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

My wife has asked my son for his phone and he allowed her to look through the messages. We let him have the phone when he's at work but when he gets home he gives the phone up. Sure he could delete messages that come in during the day but after about 3pm, anything that comes through we see. I'm sure some here would say that's a violation of privacy but what he did was a violation as well and trust needs to be restored.

more PH like content for me (apologies to blktre) but the bigger concern here is the privacy of the people who chat with him.  has he warned his friends that his parents are getting messages intended for him?

#42 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

more PH like content for me (apologies to blktre) but the bigger concern here is the privacy of the people who chat with him. has he warned his friends that his parents are getting messages intended for him?

I usually worry about my own kids and interests first. I think Ken is on the right track. Sometimes locking beer stuff up and continually parenting no matter how hard it gets is the best thing. If I can get two kids to adulthood with open taps Ken can too. When kids get older and out on their own they will see the light and be thankful and understanding of what you had to do.

#43 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the other kids.  It's possible that my son has warned them so maybe he'll start getting fewer and fewer messages until this blows over.  My son's cross-country team takes part in a cross-country basketball league in the summer (weird I know) but he has done it the last 3 years.  All of the kids from the XC team meet up with another school and have a basketball game.  There are refs, schedules, etc.  When he went to one over this past weekend, my daughter said, "Are you SURE that's where he's going?".  He was picked up by another XC team member and after the game, he took a pic of all the kids (sweating) who were all XC kids we know... and he texted it to us.  So I feel funny crawling up his ass with a microscope on every occasion but it's what has to happen for awhile until we can trust him again.

There is more to the story that I now know regarding the party.  Guv, if it makes you squeamish that we're discussing this here, I'll just leave it & I'm in no mood to resurrect the other thread.  On one hand, anyone with teenage kids can be helped by this thread whether it's here or in the PH.  If a mod disagrees, he can feel free to move it or lock it... which I don't want to do to GNEF.

Edited by KenLenard, 07 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the other kids.

it could be a valuable lesson for them when they haven't confirmed that the line of communication is secure :lol:

hopefully your son warns them quick b/c he'll become pretty unpopular otherwise.

Edited by TheGuv, 07 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

it could be a valuable lesson for them when they haven't confirmed that the line of communication is secure :lol: hopefully your son warns them quick b/c he'll become pretty unpopular otherwise.

The thing about that is that I know all or mostly all of the kids that were here. The next time I see them I could say, "Were you at my house when I wasn't?" and wait for the look on their face. My point is that these kids shouldn't necessarily expect that I'm just going to let this pass. If they text something suspicious to my son, I might see it. Sorry. But I'm sure my son has started a group chat of his own saying, "Hold off on all sketchy messages or exclude me from group chats until further notice". He won't let us cause too much damage, I'm sure.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

The thing about that is that I know all or mostly all of the kids that were here. The next time I see them I could say, "Were you at my house when I wasn't?" and wait for the look on their face. My point is that these kids shouldn't necessarily expect that I'm just going to let this pass. If they text something suspicious to my son, I might see it. Sorry. But I'm sure my son has started a group chat of his own saying, "Hold off on all sketchy messages or exclude me from group chats until further notice". He won't let us cause too much damage, I'm sure.

so are you going to warn the parents of the girl throwing the party?  what do you do with the intel you are collecting?

#47 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

so are you going to warn the parents of the girl throwing the party? what do you do with the intel you are collecting?

Slippery slope indeed.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Slippery slope indeed.

I could see tipping them off - I mean, I'd probably want to be tipped off.  But then again.....

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Personally, no. My wife said it depends but that she could see herself telling parents of things she knows about. Another mom found out about a party and called all of the other parents once (a kid who is not friends with any of my kids) and now she's like the 'hated' mom because she messed it up. I would rather know about the info just for its use as it impacts my son. I know I'm not going to know everything nor should I. At some point you have to hope that the foundation you laid with your kids will hold up now that the kids are older. When it comes to alcohol (making my way back to the OP now), I don't really drink anything but beer. I do not get nutty when I drink. My kids have all said that they have never even seen me drunk. They probably have but I don't act wacky or do nutty things when I'm drunk. My friends have said the same thing... I can't even tell when you're drunk! So our approach with our kids is that alcohol is not meant for them and when they're older they can decide for themselves if they want to drink it. I know parents who will not drink in front of their kids but I don't think that's the way to handle it. Are they lying? Are they hiding it? Hiding it makes it seem worse than it is. My kids don't see me drink & drive and they don't see me acting like a blithering idiot.

Edited by KenLenard, 07 July 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#50 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Personally, no. My wife said it depends but that she could see herself telling parents of things she knows about. Another mom found out about a party and called all of the other parents once (a kid who is not friends with any of my kids) and now she's like the 'hated' mom because she messed it up. I would rather know about the info just for its use as it impacts my son. I know I'm not going to know everything nor should I. At some point you have to hope that the foundation you laid with your kids will hold up now that the kids are older. When it comes to alcohol (making my way back to the OP now), I don't really drink anything but beer. I do not get nutty when I drink. My kids have all said that they have never even seen me drunk. They probably have but I don't act wacky or do nutty things when I'm drunk. My friends have said the same thing... I can't even tell when you're drunk! So our approach with our kids is that alcohol is not meant for them and when they're older they can decide for themselves if they want to drink it. I know parents who will not drink in front of their kids but I don't think that's the way to handle it. Are they lying? Are they hiding it? Hiding it makes it seem worse than it is. My kids don't see me drink & drive and they don't see me acting like a blithering idiot.

anonymous tip ken!  no need to divulge your secret identity.

#51 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:05 AM

Back OT...

If the taps are all about the same you could just have a solid bar that can lock down in front of them.  Maybe like a gate that swings down and locks in place?

#52 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Back OT...

If the taps are all about the same you could just have a solid bar that can lock down in front of them.  Maybe like a gate that swings down and locks in place?

securing the kegs is always going to be required.  otherwise a kid such as myself would have just acquired my own personal picnic tap (this is all assuming I was willing to take a risk in the first place).

#53 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

securing the kegs is always going to be required.  otherwise a kid such as myself would have just acquired my own personal picnic tap (this is all assuming I was willing to take a risk in the first place).

Yes, very true.  The kegs need to be locked, too, to protect against the more savvy kids.

#54 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hell, they can just learn how to pick the lock in about 25 seconds on You Tube.

#55 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hell, they can just learn how to pick the lock in about 25 seconds on You Tube.

25 seconds plus some uknown amount of time.  i don't think it's as easy as that to pick up.

#56 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

25 seconds plus some uknown amount of time.  i don't think it's as easy as that to pick up.

It is. You can make find the tools for it in about 10 minutes, watch the video, and practice on a master lock while you watch. Takes about 25 or 30 seconds to get it even if you've never done it before.

#57 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

It is. You can make find the tools for it in about 10 minutes, watch the video, and practice on a master lock while you watch. Takes about 25 or 30 seconds to get it even if you've never done it before.

combo lock with no key.  now they have to learn to listen to the clicks.  i tried to do ths on an old lock that i had forgotten the combo for.  i gave up.

#58 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

combo lock with no key.  now they have to learn to listen to the clicks.  i tried to do ths on an old lock that i had forgotten the combo for.  i gave up.

Actually, the old masterlock combo locks were super easy to hack.  There was a very basic algorithm.  They've upgraded it now, but it was able to break into a few that I forgot the combo for very easily.

#59 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Actually, the old masterlock combo locks were super easy to hack.  There was a very basic algorithm.  They've upgraded it now, but it was able to break into a few that I forgot the combo for very easily.

when did the update happen?

#60 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

when did the update happen?

Like 15 years ago.  I still have one of the locks I cracked way back then.

I think this is the algorithm to crack the newer ones.  It seems much more complicated than what I did.

https://www.wikihow....ombination-Lock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users