#642 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

Why so hazy Neddles? :)

Better question might be "why not hazy?" I need to make me a NEIPA.

#643 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

Bourbon Oaked Porter (Brewed in November 2015, Secondary on Oak Chips soaked in Bourbon February 2016Attached File  Bourbon Porter.jpg   8.12KB   0 downloads

#644 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

Dry hopped in the keg German pils. 1.5oz of Tradition leaf in 2.5gals of a leftover keg. Hops are in a panty hose leg. Is it typical for keg hopped beers to be this clear? First one I've dry hopped in the keg. Hops have been in 1 week. Beer is hoppy. herbal, and delicious. Made a ho-hum keg into a tasty beer.

45IOLUF.png

#645 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54028 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

Looks nice, Chils. No, IME, I do not have uber-clear dry-hopped beers. I also use Tradition for bittering only. I once used it late in the boil and I was not happy with that beer. As a bittering addition, it's just fine. Never tried it as a DH addition before. But I have tried to improve an otherwise boring beer by DHing it. Cheers to you my friend.

#646 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

That looks fantastic Chils. My answer to your question is… it depends. On what, I am not sure but sometimes my keg hopped beers are uber clear like that and sometimes not.

#647 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

Looks nice, Chils. No, IME, I do not have uber-clear dry-hopped beers. I also use Tradition for bittering only. I once used it late in the boil and I was not happy with that beer. As a bittering addition, it's just fine. Never tried it as a DH addition before. But I have tried to improve an otherwise boring beer by DHing it. Cheers to you my friend.

I know someone else said the same thing about Tradition but they had used pellets. I had fresh leaf from Hopsdirect. The beer was a lame duck b/c the Spalt Select pellets I hopped it with were from a place we've both had lame noble pellets from. The Tradition have an herbal quality I am enjoying here. Reminds me a bit of Spalt Select. BTW, I'm done with noble pellets. I realized that I've gotten more bad noble pellets than good. From now on I'm only using fresh leaf.

That looks fantastic Chils. My answer to your question is… it depends. On what, I am not sure but sometimes my keg hopped beers are uber clear like that and sometimes not.

Neddles, this makes me wonder if the key to a clear dry hopped beer is to let it drop clear or gel it then dry hop in the keg. I expected some hop haze but this makes me wonder if it isn't more that the hops help hold other stuff--protein/yeast in suspension.

#648 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54028 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

I know someone else said the same thing about Tradition but they had used pellets. I had fresh leaf from Hopsdirect. The beer was a lame duck b/c the Spalt Select pellets I hopped it with were from a place we've both had lame noble pellets from. The Tradition have an herbal quality I am enjoying here. Reminds me a bit of Spalt Select. BTW, I'm done with noble pellets. I realized that I've gotten more bad noble pellets than good. From now on I'm only using fresh leaf.

While I have had the occasional bad bag of pellets, they have been noble and otherwise and I certainly have not had more bad noble pellets than good, that's for sure. I haven't used leaf in a very, very long time and while the poor quality pellets are a real downer, I have no intention of using leaf anytime soon.

#649 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

While I have had the occasional bad bag of pellets, they have been noble and otherwise and I certainly have not had more bad noble pellets than good, that's for sure. I haven't used leaf in a very, very long time and while the poor quality pellets are a real downer, I have no intention of using leaf anytime soon.

I never thought I'd be going all leaf but I realized that I have made my best batches with leaf. The only aversion I used to have with them is the soaking up of wort. I fixed that by just mashing them out after I chill the wort. I pour the wort through a strainer then mash them with a sanitized pot.

I'll also add that by "bad" I'm including the ones that had little to no flavor, most of which came from the same place.

#650 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54028 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

I never thought I'd be going all leaf but I realized that I have made my best batches with leaf. The only aversion I used to have with them is the soaking up of wort. I fixed that by just mashing them out after I chill the wort. I pour the wort through a strainer then mash them with a sanitized pot.

I'll also add that by "bad" I'm including the ones that had little to no flavor, most of which came from the same place.

My experience has been that the leaf hops I used to use did not hold up in storage nearly as well as pellets and the worst-smelling, gym-sock, stinky-feet character that I have ever had was with leaf hops. I think I ordered some kits long, long ago that came with "plugs"... remember that? Those were fine. I also like the relatively small amount of space that the pellets take up in the freezer and I think that they're far easier to measure out. All that said, I have been known to switch gears with my brewing for one reason or another and if my hop pellets were giving me trouble, I'd be looking for a new supplier or do what you did. Cheers.

#651 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Neddles, this makes me wonder if the key to a clear dry hopped beer is to let it drop clear or gel it then dry hop in the keg. I expected some hop haze but this makes me wonder if it isn't more that the hops help hold other stuff--protein/yeast in suspension.

Agree, that's probably the process by which I have had the clearest dry hopped beer. Should check my notes.

#652 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

My experience has been that the leaf hops I used to use did not hold up in storage nearly as well as pellets and the worst-smelling, gym-sock, stinky-feet character that I have ever had was with leaf hops. I think I ordered some kits long, long ago that came with "plugs"... remember that? Those were fine. I also like the relatively small amount of space that the pellets take up in the freezer and I think that they're far easier to measure out. All that said, I have been known to switch gears with my brewing for one reason or another and if my hop pellets were giving me trouble, I'd be looking for a new supplier or do what you did. Cheers.

I'm taking a different approach to my ingredients after the malt fiasco and several lame duck batches of hops. I'm avoiding stockpiling and ordering a little at a time to keep things fresh. I have had leaf stored for awhile (2yrs) vacuumed and frozen and they were great. I recently got some gym sock pellets from another supplier and that sealed the deal for me on pellets. I'll get leaf when in season from Hopsdirect from now on.

Agree, that's probably the process by which I have had the clearest dry hopped beer. Should check my notes.

I'm really digging this beer and the fact that I can get clarity and hop aroma/flavor. Wish I had dry hopped in the keg years ago.

#653 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:55 PM

Simple Saison. 1.046, all Pils, touch of flaked wheat, touch of sugar, touch of late santiam, WY3726. Dry and spicy with very nice phenolics.

S6IizH1h.jpg

#654 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:18 AM

This one dropped really clear :)

14718611_10155576121104657_9208710021850

#655 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

Whoa, what is that handsome pint?

#656 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

Whoa, what is that handsome pint?

This but with S-05 instead of 1450.  I am pretty happy with it overall. 

Edited by drez77, 24 October 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#657 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

This but with S-05 instead of 1450.  I am pretty happy with it overall. 

Links to this page.

#658 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Links to this page.

That was odd bit I fixed it.

https://www.brews-br...tout/?p=2171766

#659 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

Wrecking Ball... Galaxy, Simcoe, Two Row, oats(malted) and caravienne

High floccing yeast, 3 day cold crash at 38 and some biofine... that haze is not yeast!

14908219_10155594891854657_2264573385947

#660 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

Wrecking Ball... Galaxy, Simcoe, Two Row, oats(malted) and caravienne

High floccing yeast, 3 day cold crash at 38 and some biofine... that haze is not yeast!

14908219_10155594891854657_2264573385947

Nice. Multiple DH additions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users