positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

get those glasses "beer clean" DS! ;)

eta:  this was pointed out to me at some point and it was appreciated.  if you see bubbles sticking to the side of the glass it means there is some residue (maybe soap or detergent) left in the glass.  kills head and might even affect taste.  avoid it!

sure it's a delicous beer tho :cheers:

Edited by Evil_Morty, 02 December 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#682 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:15 PM

Aramis for the win!

Okay, so what's the story with Aramis? Bittering? Flavor, aroma? I have not used it but if you guys have used it in Pilsner and Kolsch, it sounds like I would like it. If it's a finishing hop, how would it be in a hoppy blonde ale? I found THIS. Sounds interesting.

#683 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

Okay, so what's the story with Aramis? Bittering? Flavor, aroma? I have not used it but if you guys have used it in Pilsner and Kolsch, it sounds like I would like it. If it's a finishing hop, how would it be in a hoppy blonde ale? I found THIS. Sounds interesting.

Flavor and aroma. Although I bittered with it at 30min. and all was pleasant. I got floral and fruit up front with the citrus and spicy being more subdued. Did not get any earthy in mine and very little of what I would call herbal but my tastes may be different than others. 

Edited by neddles, 02 December 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#684 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

I'm going to be using the Omega West Coast ale yeast here shortly which is supposed to be like 1056 or WL001 so I don't expect it to be unique... but I do plan to make a hoppy blonde ale with it and I was thinking Crystal, Santiam, Glacier, Liberty, etc. but the Aramis sounds nice. Envision a pale gold beer that is clear but with a decent, pale ale-like finish. Two row plus some Vienna maybe and even some wheat or torrified wheat, one of my standard bittering hops like Magnum, Horizon or Nugget (just got the shipping notification on my Yakima $5 pound of Nugget!) and then the Aramis hops late... like an ounce at 15, 10, 5 and WP. Just thinking out loud.

#685 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

I thought it was nice by itself but I can see it pairing well with something spicy like a Santiam, Mt. Hood, or Saaz.

#686 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

The ESB talked about in the other thread.

aE4i2JUh.jpg

Edited by neddles, 02 December 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#687 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

Nice pic!

#688 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

Here's my ESB. Drinking it today during the great blizzard of '16:

102l3md.jpg

#689 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Another batch of this so-called American Premium made with German malts, hops and yeast. Brewed on 11/26 and my last batch of the year.

2rg0wfn.jpg

#690 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Another batch of this so-called American Premium made with German malts, hops and yeast. Brewed on 11/26 and my last batch of the year.

2rg0wfn.jpg

Quite sexy. What is the build up of this one Ken?

#691 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:43 AM

Quite sexy. What is the build up of this one Ken?

Base malt is half Barke Pils and half Rahr 2-row. Then there is a pound of flaked corn and 4 ounces each of carafoam and carahell. Magnum to bitter to between 20-25 IBUs and then 1½ ounces of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 5 minutes. 830 on the yeast. It's "American" because it's so pale, the flaked corn, it's only 5% and only 25 IBUs (ish) but most people who taste it would see that it's got far more German character than they might expect. I realize this looks nothing like a holiday-season beer should look but beers like this are available here year-round. :D Cheers Brother Poptop.

#692 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

Base malt is half Barke Pils and half Rahr 2-row. Then there is a pound of flaked corn and 4 ounces each of carafoam and carahell. Magnum to bitter to between 20-25 IBUs and then 1½ ounces of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 5 minutes. 830 on the yeast. It's "American" because it's so pale, the flaked corn, it's only 5% and only 25 IBUs (ish) but most people who taste it would see that it's got far more German character than they might expect. I realize this looks nothing like a holiday-season beer should look but beers like this are available here year-round. :D Cheers Brother Poptop.

I'd say a beauty like that defies seasons. Thanks for the build.

#693 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

I'd say a beauty like that defies seasons. Thanks for the build.

There are enough people in my target audience that want to drink this type of beer all the time... my dad, two of my sisters, a number of buds, my SIL, etc. so I always have something along these lines on tap. The fun part is seeing some of them move away from that style occasionally. One day over the summer I was drinking my Bordertown Dark Lager and hanging out in the backyard. My SIL said, "anyone need a beer?" and went downstairs to the taps. She came back up with the same beer I was drinking and I was surprised. A little while later her glass was empty so I grabbed our glasses and refilled. Again her glass was empty and this kept going until it was time to fire up the grill. She usually drinks Amstel Light. At some point I said, "You're in a beer-drinking mood today" and she just said, "IT'S GOOD!". This year for Thanksgiving I told her the same beer was on tap and she said, "THE DARK LAGER? HOORAY!" so now she's not as predictable with the pale gold lager anymore. :D

#694 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Most see the "lite" eventually haha

#695 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:37 AM

Most see the "lite" eventually haha

;)

#696 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Another shot of a beer that appears to be meant for unseasonable warmth. :D The last beer I made with S189, a helles with Barke Pils, a smidge of Vienna, CaraFoam, CaraHell and all Hallertau Mittelfruh.

23k3pye.jpg

#697 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

Beautiful beer Ken!

#698 neddles

neddles

No Life