#761 Steppedonapoptop

Steppedonapoptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Mmm, that looks like a beery beer. Nice work Brother Poptop. What was the yeast again?

Thank you. Assured, my pic's will get better. For this five gallon batch I used 2 packs of dry 34/70.

#762 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 AM

So is this Jamil's Vienna? It doesn't look quite as dark and it seems to lean towards red a little bit more. What was the recipe?

#763 Steppedonapoptop

Steppedonapoptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:18 AM

Yes, Jamil's recipe with minor mod's by me (Midnight Wheat). Actually darker than I anticipated. ~26IBU, finished at 5.5% abv.

5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) GR
3.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Midnight Wheat (744.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 40.0
1.5 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0
2.0 Saflager 34/70
It's definitely the pic that lightens this batch. Actually teeters toward amber/brown

#764 drez77

drez77

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 AM

That Vienna is my plan for next week.  I plan to use the 34/70 I saved from kegging my IPL.  Here is the IPL going into the keg with some Biofine and 3oz of Loral and 2oz of Equinox hops.  So far I am liking this beer. Here is what they said about Loral "HBC 291 is the perfect hop when you want an American take on noble hop character: floral, spicy, mint, herbal & slight eucalyptus all in one," says Jeremy Marshall of Lagunitas.  I am picking up on the herbal quality but so far it seems to be working out good in the beer.

16003293_10155924937849657_8531955943981

#765 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Yes, Jamil's recipe with minor mod's by me (Midnight Wheat). Actually darker than I anticipated. ~26IBU, finished at 5.5% abv.

5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) GR
3.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Midnight Wheat (744.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 40.0
1.5 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0
2.0 Saflager 34/70
It's definitely the pic that lightens this batch. Actually teeters toward amber/brown

Mmm, I wonder about the difference between using MW and the German Carafa Special III that I typically use in that beer. I do get some red in mine but it seems like you have to get the angle of the glass just right to get that color out of it. I really like that recipe although mine is slightly lower gravity. I'm trying to determine if I should make it with the 2124 I have up and running right now or wait until I get 2308 or the Bayern Lager yeast ready. Such a great beer.

#766 Evil_Morty

Evil_Morty

Comptroller of <non-pr0n> pr0n

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,822 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Mmm, I wonder about the difference between using MW and the German Carafa Special III that I typically use in that beer. I do get some red in mine but it seems like you have to get the angle of the glass just right to get that color out of it. I really like that recipe although mine is slightly lower gravity. I'm trying to determine if I should make it with the 2124 I have up and running right now or wait until I get 2308 or the Bayern Lager yeast ready. Such a great beer.

I bet the diff would be minimal.  I think the important factors are 1) dark and 2) no husk.

#767 Steppedonapoptop

Steppedonapoptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 AM

I have to admit, the base recipe can work in many different ways, even maybe adding some caramel and dropping the M-wheat. I like the body this beer has. As Ken mentioned, it's a beery beer.

#768 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,183 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 AM

The character you get out of the German Carafa is really, really nice. It's dark and smooth but contributes a really nice flavor too. I'm a huge fan of it in any sort of dark lager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users