2586 replies to this topic

#981 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Looks nice! Just like Spotted Cow, for sure.

#982 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Thanks!  I had to rush it some for a bbq we hosted this past weekend, so it didn't have time to clear.   It's hard to beat a simple, easy to make beer that tastes good!

#983 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

This. I don't drink it often but sometimes Spotted Cow is just perfect for the occasion. 

#984 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

20170606_190436_resized_zps4omfqmt6.jpg

Spotted Cow clone. Pretty tasty.

Looks refreshing... Have a recipe you can post for that?

#985 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

20170606_190436_resized_zps4omfqmt6.jpg

Spotted Cow clone.  Pretty tasty. 

I'd drink the sh*t out of that.  Looks like an excellent solution to the hot weather that summer will soon bring.

#986 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thanks!  I had to rush it some for a bbq we hosted this past weekend, so it didn't have time to clear.   It's hard to beat a simple, easy to make beer that tastes good!

I went on a tour at New Glarus and the tour guide was telling us a story about how Spotted Cow is not super clear anyway. He mentioned that there was a keg of it at a tavern in a small WI town and it sat for long enough that it got clearer than normal. A group of people came in and ordered Spotted Cow and when the glasses arrived at the table the customers said, "That's not Spotted Cow. It's too clear!". So I think your beer captures it pretty well. And I agree that when you have a simple, straightforward & refreshing beer... you can't beat it.

#987 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

Q:WHAT IS THE SEDIMENT IN MY BOTTLE OF SPOTTED COW?
A:Spotted Cow is one of our unfiltered brews, which simply means that the brewer's yeast is still in it. Brewer's yeast is full of wonderful vitamins and minerals, and adds the final layer of character that is intended for this brew. It is full of Vitamin B and potassium, and also contributes to a smooth mouth feel and great bready notes! The brewer's yeast will sometimes settle at the bottom of bottles that have stood upright and stationary for a time while waiting to get to you (either during transportation or while waiting for you at your local establishment), and it is always a good idea to reincorporate the brewer's yeast for the vitamins and flavor layers that it adds. To do so, carefully set the bottle on it's side on a flat surface and gently roll the bottle back and forth with the palm of your hand. This should reincorporate all those wonderful flavors!

https://www.newglaru...cfm/brewery/faq

#988 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

Since this was talked about in another tread, this is the single decocted Vienna Lager fermented with MJ's M76 yeast. this is after a 3 week lager and about a month in the kegerator. still cloudy, but a malty, nice drinking beer. 

20170607_103035_zps7dlntd2u.jpg

#989 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Absolutely love Vienna Lager

#990 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53897 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

Absolutely love Vienna Lager

Me too, Brother. I plan to make one with this Omega Bayern Lager yeast.

#991 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

My next batch in the coming weeks = same, with 3rd gen of 34/70

#992 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Looks refreshing... Have a recipe you can post for that?

Yep.

https://www.northern...ckledHeifer.pdf

I used 7.5 gal RO w/ 6 gr CaCl.  I did a LoDo method w/ yeast deoxygenation of the mash water.    Added 3 gr of Antioxin SBT just before mashing in. Mashed at 148 for 45 min, 162 for 45 min, and 172 for 10.   No sparge mash.   Added 1/2 tsp BTB at 15 min left in boil.    Pitched 2 packs of US-05 and fermented at 65 for 7 days.   Fermenter primed w/ 7 oz DME and let keg carb at 68 for 10 days.  

Oh yeah.   I did throw in an ounce of homegrown hops my brother sent me at knockout.   He doesn't know what they are and they were pretty darn  mild from an aroma standpoint.  I don't think they added much as this beer is all about the tasty grain flavor. 

#993 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Yep.

https://www.northern...ckledHeifer.pdf

I used 7.5 gal RO w/ 6 gr CaCl.  I did a LoDo method w/ yeast deoxygenation of the mash water.    Added 3 gr of Antioxin SBT just before mashing in. Mashed at 148 for 45 min, 162 for 45 min, and 172 for 10.   No sparge mash.   Added 1/2 tsp BTB at 15 min left in boil.    Pitched 2 packs of US-05 and fermented at 65 for 7 days.   Fermenter primed w/ 7 oz DME and let keg carb at 68 for 10 days.  

Oh yeah.   I did throw in an ounce of homegrown hops my brother sent me at knockout.   He doesn't know what they are and they were pretty darn  mild from an aroma standpoint.  I don't think they added much as this beer is all about the tasty grain flavor. 

Where did you score the Antioxin?

#994 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

Since this was talked about in another tread, this is the single decocted Vienna Lager fermented with MJ's M76 yeast. this is after a 3 week lager and about a month in the kegerator. still cloudy, but a malty, nice drinking beer. 

20170607_103035_zps7dlntd2u.jpg

Looks great.    I've got a dunkel that I'm anxiously awaiting to tap...

#995 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

Where did you score the Antioxin?

Made it myself w/ ascorbic acid, BTB, and gallotannins.   I add the extra BTB in the boil because I haven't gotten my hands on a SS counterflow chiller yet.  

Now understand...    I'm a fairly recent convert to the LODO thing.    I'm a believer, but definitely not a zealot.    Live and let live and all that...(smiley face)

Edited by pkrone, 07 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#996 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Made it myself w/ ascorbic acid, BTB, and gallotannins.   I add the extra BTB in the boil because I haven't gotten my hands on a SS counterflow chiller yet.  

Now understand...    I'm a fairly recent convert to the LODO thing.    I'm a believer, but definitely not a zealot.    Live and let live and all that...(smiley face)

Nice, thanks. Im cool with it, no worries. Do you happen to know the ratio of mix or a link to how to make it?

#997 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Nice, thanks. Im cool with it, no worries. Do you happen to know the ratio of mix or a link to how to make it?

I made at 45/45/10 mix of sodium metabisulfite/BTB/ascorbic acid.    3 gr in 7.5 gallons of  water gives me about 50 ppm of SMB.   I've only had one sulfury beer at that level (a weissbier) and it dissipated pretty quickly after just a couple of pulls from the keg.

You should check out www.lowoxygenbrewing.com      It's a low-key, non-confrontational, mutually-supportive forum.   Kinda like brews-bros.  I've gotten lots of good advice/help there.   I've been brewing for 20 years and like to keep learning.      Cheers.

#998 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

I made at 45/45/10 mix of sodium metabisulfite/BTB/ascorbic acid.    3 gr in 7.5 gallons of  water gives me about 50 ppm of SMB.   I've only had one sulfury beer at that level (a weissbier) and it dissipated pretty quickly after just a couple of pulls from the keg.

You should check out www.lowoxygenbrewing.com      It's a low-key, non-confrontational, mutually-supportive forum.   Kinda like brews-bros.  I've gotten lots of good advice/help there.   I've been brewing for 20 years and like to keep learning.      Cheers.

Good stuff, thank you. Last time I looked (admittedly it was a good while back) I couldn't find the trifecta recipe on that site. I'll give 'er another check. 

#999 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Just pulled a sample of this- its almost carb'ed. This is my 2nd go at a SMaSH of Golden Promise and Mosiac Hops- 5.5% and 60 IBU. There was a few *Firsts* with this beer; first time using Bru'n Water to fine tune the water profile, with success. (with treatment, pH was 5.3, without it was 5.8) first time using Linemann's Bry-97 west coast yeast, doing a hop-stand at 150 degrees, vs the usual 180 degrees i tend to use, AND using a plate chiller. 

I think the modification of the water profile made this beer from good to great! it has that crisp, refreshing element that always escaped my pale color beers. 

Prost!

20170609_101237_zpsbkiqbxc3.jpg

#1000 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Oh man I can still remember that first pale beer I did after figuring out how to control pH. It was like the BOOM, and the lights came on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users