#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

So I currently have 2 425's, 1 525 and a stout tap all in brass. I rarely use the stout tap and until I feel like spending the money on nitro I want to put a regular faucet in its place and can switch out when needed. Ultimately I would like to get my hands on 2 more 425's, but I've been searching ebay for awhile now with no luck. And I really don't want to get another leaky 525. So looking for other options. I see Perlick has a new one, 630. It's a one piece buy looks more like the 425. No experience there. And as far as I know VM doesn't have anything brass I could pick up. Any ideas?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I am not sure who copied who with this design but his is close to your 425's you have.  I love the 425's I have and may be grabbing some of these for a portable cooler.

https://www.chicompa...roducts_id=3277

ETA:  UGH .. I did not notice Brass in your post.  Sorry

Edited by drez77, 10 July 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Yeah I have seen those, but yes I have a big disadvantage here using brass.

#4 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Stay away from the new version of the forward seating VM, version 1 and 2. We bought 81 units and they are having bonnet seal problems with no real fix for the future. They are not the VM greatness of 10 yrs ago. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 10 July 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Stay away from the new version of the forward seating VM, version 1 and 2. We bought 81 units and they are having bonnet seal problems with no real fix for the future. They are not the VM greatness of 10 yrs ago. 

Thanks for the update.  I knew you had a big group buy and this is not good to hear.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the update.  I knew you had a big group buy and this is not good to hear.

I made a decent fix with removing/adding/re-configuring orings and got them to pour good. But this fix would never work well at the commercial level I dont think. Maybe it would. Dunno. 

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Man that sucks. In the link Drez posted it says something about version 3 but they don't have any.Have you seen the Perlick 630's? Know anything about them?

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Man that sucks. In the link Drez posted it says something about version 3 but they don't have any.Have you seen the Perlick 630's? Know anything about them?

I have a few of the earlier versions. They are also a POS imo. This version not only leaked at the bonnet but also at the oring that where the ball closes against the oring. Brew pubs around here have to replace those ball orings on a monthly basis to keep beer from flowing onto the floor, which is what happened to me. This design relies heavily on keg pressure to help seal the ball against the oring. The new design on the 630's made a thicker oring for the ball to rest against hopefully making a longer lasting better seal. The only redesign the 525 got was the bonnet leak fix. So I consider the 525 to be a POS too. 

Time will tell on the 630 and how well the ball seal will last. But for right now it seems to be the best forward sealing design out there. Nothing will ever compare to the original VM's and the lawsuit Perlik imo. 

Check this out. It shows the new bonnet and ball oring design on the 630.

https://imgur.com/a/MyQ48#otyE4je

#9 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

What is the lawsuit Perlick, the 425?Nice link the new ones could be promising.

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

What is the lawsuit Perlick, the 425?Nice link the new ones could be promising.

That faucet is no longer made because VM sued and won. Perlick totally violated a patent. I cant remember the number on it. But it was an exact replica of the original VM with the Perlick name on it. Its been around 8 yrs since that lawsuit faucet was made Id guess. 

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

So what is the best faucet out there?

#12 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Bingo, and can I get it in brass?!

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

with all the problems you all are talking about with the forward seals why freaking bother with them they don't seem any better than the crappy rear sealers

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Right now, Id say the 630 in that price range.

Bingo, and can I get it in brass?!

There isn't one. Not that I know of because brass is cheap and used on cheap faucets. Id say you are better off getting the 525 and some cheap orings if money is an issue. In the homebrew setting you will have lower failure rates because you simply are not using it as much as the commercial guys. 

with all the problems you all are talking about with the forward seals why freaking bother with them they don't seem any better than the crappy rear sealers

I disagree. Id rather deal with modifying the current VM or the change the leaky 525 oring over a front seal faucet that sticks all the time. And you better get a SS shank because the day of snapping a brass lever is in your future. Just my personal preference. Im hoping the 630 is the one and then VM will one up that one in the near future. 

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

They do make the 630 in brass.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

There you go! 

But Im curious. Did you blow your load on the new brewery? I cant see you having brass anything!  :)

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

There you go! 

But Im curious. Did you blow your load on the new brewery? I cant see you having brass anything!   :)

Yes I did blow my load on the new brewery, but that's beside the point. I was just going for an old cabin rustic look when I built my bar. And I got the tower for a sweet deal. Besides the faucets are SS on the inside, it's just plated brass on the outside.

Posted Image

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Double Oh thats nice! Well done! 

I thought you wanted brass levers. Not sure if the brass 630's come with SS levers or not. I doubt that would matter much on a forward design because those dont stick therefore they wont snap off. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 10 July 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have 2 of the old-school Ventmatic faucets (slightly wider than the standard) and 2 Ventmatic Ultraflo faucets.. all in stainless. No trouble with them and so, so glad I have them. My taps were originally 2 VMs and 2 Perlick 425s but the 425 is one-piece and you can't change out the spouts. Thanks to TAG for selling me 2 of his VMs. Love em!

Edited by KenLenard, 10 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

The 425's I have are all 2 piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users