#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

So do silicone hoses eventually stain? Or should they clean out spotless every time?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Mine are stained.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Good to know. Even after one brew I can tell the hoses that wort ran through have a slight tinge compared to the ones with only water.

I think I am just being paranoid over a bunch of things. I think I liked the looks of my system better before I started using it. :D

Edited by matt6150, 10 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

The one to my RIMS is pretty stained. PBW and starsan rinses only get it so clean but I have had no issues.

#5 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3215 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Same as above. Slightly discolored but clean.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, unless you see particulate build up on the inside you're probably fine. Hot pbw and starsan rinse means it's clean. Just make sure you take off your QD's every now and then and cut them a little shorter. You will eventually get a contamination source at the end of the nipple.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

Yeah, unless you see particulate build up on the inside you're probably fine. Hot pbw and starsan rinse means it's clean. Just make sure you take off your QD's every now and then and cut them a little shorter. You will eventually get a contamination source at the end of the nipple.

Good to know. I assume you mean in between the barb and the hose just behind where it is clamped? I can see where that could harbor a contamination.And yes, silicone hoses will discolor the first time you use them.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Good to know. I assume you mean in between the barb and the hose just behind where it is clamped? I can see where that could harbor a contamination.And yes, silicone hoses will discolor the first time you use them.

Yeah. They will break down at the clamp too and get pin holes, I end up cutting mine shorter at least once a year.

Pro Tip: don't use a silicon hose between your plate chiller and the hose for cooling water. Those 1/2 inch hoses will expand to about 5 inches in diameter. When they bust it sounds like damn gun shot. I'm pretty sure I hit the roof when that happened.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 21 July 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Pro Tip: don't use a silicon hose between your plate chiller and the hose for cooling water. Those 1/2 inch hoses will expand to about 5 inches in diameter. When they bust it sounds like damn gun shot. I'm pretty sure I hit the roof when that happened.

I had mine set up like that for a while.  I am glad I changed it!  I plan to hard pipe the input of my CFC soon just to minimize hoses and restrictions.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I've found the hose I use to drain the mash tun is way more stained than the one I use to drain the kettle (chilled wort).  I'm thinking temperature of the liquid is a factor.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

I've found the hose I use to drain the mash tun is way more stained than the one I use to drain the kettle (chilled wort).  I'm thinking temperature of the liquid is a factor.

you may be right.  The hoses that go from my MLT to my RIMS and back are stained the worst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users