#1 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

On a whim, I took some left over mashed potatoes and got out a few other ingredients to go with them:

Posted Image

That's roughly 2 cups of mashed potatoes in the bowl. I used 3 or 4 small cloves of garlic, and that's 1/4 of a standard sized onion. I used one fairly large habanero from the jar. I pretty much eyeballed the flour, so I couldn't tell you how much I used, although I'd guess it was close to about 3/4 cup to a whole cup, though. If you've ever made potato patties you basically know how much to use here.

Onions and garlic in the butter:

Posted Image

This was added, butter and all, to the potatoes along with a heavily minced habanero, the egg and the flour before being mixed well. What resulted was a very thick batter rather than a dough, which was what I was aiming for in the first place.

Arming myself with ice cream scoop, headlong into about an inch of oil on medium-high heat (we'll say 7 on a scale of 10) they went:

Posted Image

A closeup after being flipped about 3 to 4 minutes later:

Posted Image

The finished products sit on the rack to cool before being consumed:

Posted Image

That was just the first batch. I made a grand total of 20.

Tearing into one before it even had time to cool:

Posted Image

We coupled them with a drizzle of some ranch dressing. It took us less than 15 minutes to eat the entire batch of 20. Nice blend of heat from the habanero without being overpowering to anyone. For a spur of the moment idea I think I struck gold here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users