#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Just got a jumper to go between kegs. I secondary in kegs. If it is a closed system, is there a limit to the number of transfers I can make? Or can I make as many as I want?

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

I think you will have a little O2 pick up no matter how closed your system.  It even happens to the pros.  I wouldn't do more than 2.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

why would you want to make so many?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

The most I will do is 2.

Primary to keg with Dry Hopper and clarifying agent if I choose.  From there I will go to 1-5g or 2-3g kegs depending on the destination of the final product.  Sometimes I skip the first and just add the dry hops in the carboy and the clarifying agent if one is used to the destination keg.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

why would you want to make so many?

LHBS guy kind of freaked me out.  I picked up a clarifying agent and he said to let it secondary before using the clarifying.  Ok... I get that... want to make sure we are done fermenting first.  Then he knows I'm transfering to another keg where he says I should use the agent, but then said that if I transferred it again that I'd just be sucking up a bunch of the sediment.  (I do have trimmed dip tubes).  

Thoughts???  

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

LHBS guy kind of freaked me out.  I picked up a clarifying agent and he said to let it secondary before using the clarifying.  Ok... I get that... want to make sure we are done fermenting first.  Then he knows I'm transfering to another keg where he says I should use the agent, but then said that if I transferred it again that I'd just be sucking up a bunch of the sediment.  (I do have trimmed dip tubes).  

Thoughts???  

why not using the clarifying agent in the secondary keg that has the short dip tube?  then you jump to the serving keg and all is well.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

why not using the clarifying agent in the secondary keg that has the short dip tube?  then you jump to the serving keg and all is well.

that's what I'd do, bright tank, yo

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

For some reason he thought that a lot would drop out and still get sucked up.  I don't think it will be as bad as he thinks.  I did transfer from the bucket into the secondary (keg) yesterday.  Gravity has been at 1.010 for a few days straight, so I'm probably good to drop the clarifying agent in and then (when the clarifying agent has had the appropriate amount of time) transfer it to the serving keg and lager it.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

For some reason he thought that a lot would drop out and still get sucked up.  I don't think it will be as bad as he thinks.  I did transfer from the bucket into the secondary (keg) yesterday.  Gravity has been at 1.010 for a few days straight, so I'm probably good to drop the clarifying agent in and then (when the clarifying agent has had the appropriate amount of time) transfer it to the serving keg and lager it.

not sure what the clarifying agent is like but often wouldn't it be good to cold crash your secondary prior to clarifying? 

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

not sure what the clarifying agent is like but often wouldn't it be good to cold crash your secondary prior to clarifying? 

generally, yeah

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

And still do the clarifying in the same vessel you are doing your secondary?  I've got the temp set to 41 degrees right now, so that should work for the crash, right?

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

And still do the clarifying in the same vessel you are doing your secondary?  I've got the temp set to 41 degrees right now, so that should work for the crash, right?

colder is pretty much always better for clearing the beer up.  as close to freezing as you dare.  i might leave it at warmer temps initially or your secondary is really just a bright tank (which is fine).  I just want to make sure you are getting the things out of secondary that you'd like to get out of it.

#13 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

colder is pretty much always better for clearing the beer up.  as close to freezing as you dare.  i might leave it at warmer temps initially or your secondary is really just a bright tank (which is fine).  I just want to make sure you are getting the things out of secondary that you'd like to get out of it.

So should I put the clearing agent in at a warmer temp?

As I said... the yeast has already fermented out.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

So should I put the clearing agent in at a warmer temp?

As I said... the yeast has already fermented out.

I'd put it in at the colder temp so it can help pull down any chill haze (if there is any).

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ok... I'm having a problem.

I've got a 3 foot hose with an "out" ball lock on both ends so that it goes up one dip tube through the hose and down the dip tube.  I hooked it up and nothing.  No flow.  Am I doing something wrong?  What is the optimal pressure setting for this?

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

Never mind. Found the problem. LHBS sold me a faulty lock. There is no pin in the lock to press the poppet. Swapped it with one on a cabra tap and it is filling nicely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users