24 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Made my Hacienda Lager this morning & got about 40 minutes into the boil, added my 20-min addition and noticed that the boil was getting sluggish and the propane tank was getting light. Came out 10 minutes later and the flame was OUT. So I figured that I had about a 50-minute boil where I would ordinarily go 60. I dropped my whirfloc tab into the hot wort at that 10-minute mark, stirred, put the lid on and said #### IT! and just left it there for another 10-15 mins, chilled it, etc. Anyone see an issue? I have had a very slow boil for that 1ast 10-15 mins but I don't think I ever just let it coast with no flame like that.

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

I think you will make beer.  Hop utilization might not be on par with what you are used to, but I thought most of the other events that you are concerned about (its been so long I don't want to sound stupid) would have been taken care of earlier in the boil... break, dms, etc.  

I also wonder if the Whirfloc will be very effective... don't know.  

At worst, you can use it to boil your brat burgers before grilling them.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

I think you will make beer.  Hop utilization might not be on par with what you are used to, but I thought most of the other events that you are concerned about (its been so long I don't want to sound stupid) would have been taken care of earlier in the boil... break, dms, etc.   I also wonder if the Whirfloc will be very effective... don't know.   At worst, you can use it to boil your brat burgers before grilling them.

The whirfloc seemed to do okay because the wort going into primary was clear. This was only a 25 IBU beer or so and I guess I could see it coming in a couple ticks lower than that but nothing problematic... for me anyway. Cheers!

#4 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

I think you'll be FINE!  The 20 min was more like a 2 min addition is my guess. 

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Don't know how much pils malt is in the recipe but could DMS be an issue with the short boil followed by 10-15 hot with the lid on?

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Don't know how much pils malt is in the recipe but could DMS be an issue with the short boil followed by 10-15 hot with the lid on?

4 lbs of Vienna, 3.5 lbs of Pils along with some flaked maize & caramunich. I thought the same thing but didn't smell anything that was off. I will probably be on the lookout for it though.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

You're probably fine. It will be tasty.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

ken is RDWHAHB to the max.  well done.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

4 lbs of Vienna, 3.5 lbs of Pils along with some flaked maize & caramunich. I thought the same thing but didn't smell anything that was off. I will probably be on the lookout for it though.

I don't remember the last time I did a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt.  But it's been exclusively Canada Malting Pils for at least 6 years.  Doesn't seem to need it at my place.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

I don't remember the last time I did a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt.  But it's been exclusively Canada Malting Pils for at least 6 years.  Doesn't seem to need it at my place.

I used a bunch of that over the last year, no DMS issues @ 60 minutes

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'd be on the lookout for some extra corn flavor but should be fine overall.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Hooray!

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I'd be on the lookout for some extra corn flavor but should be fine overall.

might taste more Mexican that way :D

seriously they do use a lotta corn in those Mexican lagers

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

seriously they do use a lotta corn in those Mexican lagers

Cheap and locally available. My primary is already starting to bubble so it's off to a good start. I'll report back after I have the chance to sample it.

#15 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14104 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

ken is RDWHAHB to the max. well done.

This. My OCD tendencies mean four 20 lb bottles, and two 40 lb. Worse yet, my grill is piped into the house natural gas supply, so they are all for beer making. :covreyes:

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

This. My OCD tendencies mean four 20 lb bottles, and two 40 lb. Worse yet, my grill is piped into the house natural gas supply, so they are all for beer making. :covreyes:

Posted Image

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Is it worse that I brew electric and made sure my generator is big enough to run the system if needed?

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

I hear this but I refuse to do anything about it. The closest I will come to resolving this is getting a propane grill which would put two LP tanks at my house and if I run out while grilling, I'll steal the brewing tank and vice versa. What usually happens is my boil gets sluggish with 10-15 minutes left and stays sluggish but it finishes. Either that or it gets sluggish only 15 mins into the boil which causes me to go get a propane exchange. This is the only time I can remember where I saw that it was getting sluggish and the next time I came out... the garage was SILENT. I was like, WHAAA!? Oh well, the beer is fermenting and smells nice so I'm going with it.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

I hear this but I refuse to do anything about it. The closest I will come to resolving this is getting a propane grill which would put two LP tanks at my house and if I run out while grilling, I'll steal the brewing tank and vice versa

this is what i do.  works great!

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

this is what i do.  works great!

I suppose it could be 7pm and I am grilling, run out of propane, go get the brewing tank and find that it's almost empty and then my local store is closed. This is probably what causes DG's OCD but I don't really want to have a lot of additional fuel around for when that inevitable house fire breaks out. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users