#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

I paid $13.50 something for a 4 PK. of Founders Old Ale,  which was 9.8 alcohol and full of flavor. Picked up cherry notes, leather type taste, and alcohol and hop bitterness on the last. Great brew. I know guys at work that won't pay more than $2 for a bottle of beer. I keep telling them it's about the taste and NOT the alcohol amount or volume. I have spent maybe $18 on a 22 oz brew and it was worth every penny.

Anyhow, Quality or Quantity for this guy. What have you paid?

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

What you just said is about my limit most of the time, right around $20 for a bomber. I may have paid more for a beer a couple times but only if I knew it was really good and that is rare.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

$20 for a bomber. I paid $19 for a 12oz of a really ####ing good gueuze on saturday. Split it between me and my friend. I'm about to spend $24 on a case of the SNBC beer camp across america tonight.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

$20 for a bomber. I paid $19 for a 12oz of a really ####ing good gueuze on saturday. Split it between me and my friend. I'm about to spend $24 on a case of the SNBC beer camp across america tonight.

There are some good sounding beers in that beer camp box!

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

The most I have spent on a bottle was about $60 for a 750mlCantillon 2010 Zwanze and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Now if you add up all that went into getting a bottle it would be much more.  I can remember one Kate the Great day where I drove up the night before, had dinner, stayed in a hotel, got up at 430am to get my ticket, had breakfast spend 20 bucks for 2 bombers and drove home.  While those bottles may have been 10 bucks each I most certainly paid more than that for them.  Sad part is I never drank them. 

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

The most I have spent on a bottle was about $60 for a 750mlCantillon 2010 Zwanze and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Now if you add up all that went into getting a bottle it would be much more.  I can remember one Kate the Great day where I drove up the night before, had dinner, stayed in a hotel, got up at 430am to get my ticket, had breakfast spend 20 bucks for 2 bombers and drove home.  While those bottles may have been 10 bucks each I most certainly paid more than that for them.  Sad part is I never drank them. 

it was probably a good time though so you can put some of the money towards that.  why didn't you drink them???

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:24 AM

it was probably a good time though so you can put some of the money towards that.  why didn't you drink them???

It was a good time and we had a couple in the pub.  I traded them away for other beers :1zhelp:

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

It was a good time and we had a couple in the pub.  I traded them away for other beers :1zhelp:

i'm pretty sure i had KtG before it became a big deal.  it was good but honestly not a beer I'd get up at 4:30 in the morning for.  Given how nuts people go for them you probably got some good stuff in trade.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've paid $45 for a bomber of CBS at a restaurant that a few of us split. I've sold beers for $300 each. A guy had a cl ad looking for a specific beer and offering 300/bomber. I came across the ad randomly and happened to have a couple bottles in my cellar.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

i'm pretty sure i had KtG before it became a big deal.  it was good but honestly not a beer I'd get up at 4:30 in the morning for.  Given how nuts people go for them you probably got some good stuff in trade.

I only remember one beer and that was A partridge in  Pear Tree.  Ended up selling that one.

Kate is good but I liked their Imperial Porter Better.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

I've paid $45 for a bomber of CBS at a restaurant that a few of us split. I've sold beers for $300 each. A guy had a cl ad looking for a specific beer and offering 300/bomber. I came across the ad randomly and happened to have a couple bottles in my cellar.

Done that too.  What amazes me are sights like mybeercellar.com.  I looked at what things have sold for and I shake my head.  I know Loerik is a bad example because of rarity but DAYUM!  httpss://mybeercellar.com/?itm=9009

Edited by drez77, 15 July 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

I've paid around $35-40 for some bottles.  I have had a chance to taste a bottle of Ballantine Burton Ale from 1934.  My friend who bought it paid over $200 for a 12 oz. bottle.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

I've paid around $35-40 for some bottles.  I have had a chance to taste a bottle of Ballantine Burton Ale from 1934.  My friend who bought it paid over $200 for a 12 oz. bottle.

so how was it?

#14 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

There are enough great beers for $10/bomber or less I can't imagine wanting to spend more. I also try to keep 6 packs under $12 (but will occasionally spend $12 on a 4 pack).  I'm still amazed that Sam Adams was able to sell those Utipias beers years ago :)

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Around $15 for a bomber is the most I've been willing to spend.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

so how was it?

Interesting....it had lost almost all carbonation.  It reminded me a bit of whiskey.  It was worth the money to try a historical artifact more than it was worth it for the beer.

#17 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

$45 for a 9oz bottle of 1993 Thomas Hardy.

Damn. I have an '03 or '04 that you can just have. Stuff's nasty.

Paid $50 for a Cantillion something or other. Plenty of $20 750s, typically either old or hard to find Belgians and sours.

Had the chance to get one of those SA Utopias for ~$100, but after trying the Triple Bock I was a bit gun shy with the crazy SA beers.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Gonna try and leave work early tonight to pick up the beer camp beers. I went last night and they were out. Got a new shipment in today. 

#19 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Gonna try and leave work early tonight to pick up the beer camp beers. I went last night and they were out. Got a new shipment in today.

Still waiting for our first.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Still waiting for our first.

This will be the last I'm told. It's been in town for a week or so and I keep seeing posts on FB about it. Driving me nuts because I have to go way out of the way to get it. I don't usually do that for beer, but this is something special.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users