#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

So the talk in Ken's Pilsner thread got me thinking about 6-row. I have a guy in my club(a different one) that is on this big 6-row kick. Mainly because there is a farm here making it locally. So he is claiming how much better it is because its higher in protein and enzymes and produces a much better Pils or Saison. Again I had to resort back to the better modified malts these days answer. But there is no convincing people once they get there minds set. Anybody here use it?

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Not I. If I wanted that cereal grainy flavor that denny talks about I might try it. 

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Almost never.  And these days, 2 row has about the same diastatic power anyway.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

I made BYO's Spencer Belgian clone a few months ago and it called for 10# 2-row and 2# 6-row and about 4 or 6 ounces CaraMunich. 

I can tell you this; to my uneducated palate, I could definitely identify the 6-row for exactly that bready, cereal grainy quality.  But.... after about a month in the keg the beer mellowed out very nicely and much of those 6-row qualities sorta dropped. If I were to do that batch again I'd cut the 6 in half and amp up the caramunich a bit and add more hops to combat all the malt that shined through.

#5 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

So the talk in Ken's Pilsner thread got me thinking about 6-row. I have a guy in my club(a different one) that is on this big 6-row kick. Mainly because there is a farm here making it locally. So he is claiming how much better it is because its higher in protein and enzymes and produces a much better Pils or Saison. Again I had to resort back to the better modified malts these days answer. But there is no convincing people once they get there minds set. Anybody here use it?

Riverbend Maltings? I love their pilsner malt. Took B.O.S. with a cream ale made with that malt.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Riverbend Maltings? I love their pilsner malt. Took B.O.S. with a cream ale made with that malt.

Yep that's them. I haven't even tried anything of there's yet.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

I made BYO's Spencer Belgian clone a few months ago and it called for 10# 2-row and 2# 6-row and about 4 or 6 ounces CaraMunich. 

I can tell you this; to my uneducated palate, I could definitely identify the 6-row for exactly that bready, cereal grainy quality.  But.... after about a month in the keg the beer mellowed out very nicely and much of those 6-row qualities sorta dropped. If I were to do that batch again I'd cut the 6 in half and amp up the caramunich a bit and add more hops to combat all the malt that shined through.

it's neat to me that as far away as FL people are interested in spencer abbey.  pretty cool.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

I was listening to this week's Basic Brewing Podcast yesterday and they were talking to Michigan maltsters and hop growers about locally produced ingredients for brewing. There was a conversation about all the small maltsters popping up around the country and someone specifically mentioned the 6-row from Riverbend Maltings to point out what an awesome malt is was and as an example of what these small producers are able to make.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

I was listening to this week's Basic Brewing Podcast yesterday and they were talking to Michigan maltsters and hop growers about locally produced ingredients for brewing. There was a conversation about all the small maltsters popping up around the country and someone specifically mentioned the 6-row from Riverbend Maltings to point out what an awesome malt is was and as an example of what these small producers are able to make.

IIRC there have been some new developments in 6-rows out of Canuckistan that rival traditional 2-rows for quality

#10 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yep that's them. I haven't even tried anything of there's yet.

Hey Matt, Got a sack of thier pale malt sitting in my dining room. Havent even opened the bag yet, got it straight from Asheville. Gonna combine it with southlabs N1 to make a "carolina beer" along with some homegrown cascade and nugget hops. Yeah I know...gimmicky; but who can resist when you have a locally produced yeast strain, barley malt, and hops?? 

#11 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:17 AM

Hey Matt, Got a sack of thier pale malt sitting in my dining room. Havent even opened the bag yet, got it straight from Asheville. Gonna combine it with southlabs N1 to make a "carolina beer" along with some homegrown cascade and nugget hops. Yeah I know...gimmicky; but who can resist when you have a locally produced yeast strain, barley malt, and hops??

That's cool, let me know how that goes. BTW you need to check your PM's, I sent you one awhile back.

#12 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

You might want to narrow your mill gap ever so slightly, double-mill,  or throw in a little extra. I lose some efficiency with my regular gap because the six-row kernels aren't as fat. Don't get crushed as well. (I double-mill)

Edited by Darterboy, 21 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users