#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

I can't remember the thread that had the Bio-Fine in it, but after talking to my LHBS, I wanted to really support them so I bought some Super-Kleer.  It is a 2 step process with Keselos in the first pack and Chitosan in the second pack.  So long story short is that the beer is definitely not Kosher.

Question... when you use a clarifying agent like Bio-Fine or Super-Kleer, how long do you have to wait?  I know I've got time, but I'm just wondering because I'm anxious to try a keg to keg transfer.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

I can't remember the thread that had the Bio-Fine in it, but after talking to my LHBS, I wanted to really support them so I bought some Super-Kleer.  It is a 2 step process with Keselos in the first pack and Chitosan in the second pack.  So long story short is that the beer is definitely not Kosher.

Question... when you use a clarifying agent like Bio-Fine or Super-Kleer, how long do you have to wait?  I know I've got time, but I'm just wondering because I'm anxious to try a keg to keg transfer.

I clarified a mead with super-kleer once. It was crystal clear in about 24-36hrs. That's all I got.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I clarified a mead with super-kleer once. It was crystal clear in about 24-36hrs. That's all I got.

Sounds good to me.

They did say that they could special order the bio-fine for me, but that I'd be taking a pint.  How long does that stuff keep?  Anyone know?

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Sounds good to me.

They did say that they could special order the bio-fine for me, but that I'd be taking a pint.  How long does that stuff keep?  Anyone know?

IDK on the biofine.

Whats the argument against gelatin at cold temps?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I saw the Super-Kleer 2-part product at my LHBS and it reminded me to ask them about BioFine. They didn't carry it so I went back to the Super-Kleer, looked at it and said, #### it. I did not buy it but I do want to try Biofine.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Biofine is clear for me on day 2

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Biofine is clear for me on day 2

Is this room-temp or cold?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Is this room-temp or cold?

Cold. I add it to the keg,rack on top and then drop it in the serving freezer set to 42. One or two glasses of shmutz then clear beer.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Cold. I add it to the keg,rack on top and then drop it in the serving freezer set to 42. One or two glasses of shmutz then clear beer.

I am not aware of a clarifier that doesn't work better cold especially on chill haze, which needs to be near freezing to precipitate anyway.

I just bought a new supply of gelatin, store brand 32 packets for $7

as to the Super-Kleer, hope it's not a hoppy beer, that stuff works almost too good, IMO

Edited by miccullen, 16 July 2014 - 06:13 PM.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

I am not aware of a clarifier that doesn't work better cold especially on chill haze, which needs to be near freezing to precipitate anyway.I just bought a new supply of gelatin, store brand 32 packets for $7as to the Super-Kleer, hope it's not a hoppy beer, that stuff works almost too good, IMO

Just as a point of reference,I have had no issues with biofine and hoppy beers.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Just as a point of reference,I have had no issues with biofine and hoppy beers.

biofine is made for beer, Super Kleer isn't, it's IMO too good of a clarifier

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

I may bite the bullet and buy the pint of Bio-Fine.  I'll ask again.  Any idea on the shelf life of this stuff.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

I may bite the bullet and buy the pint of Bio-Fine.  I'll ask again.  Any idea on the shelf life of this stuff.

wish I could help on that

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

I may bite the bullet and buy the pint of Bio-Fine. I'll ask again. Any idea on the shelf life of this stuff.

MSDS says 12 months. Northern sells it in one ounce doses if you are worried 4 ounces is to much.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Drez, I want you to know that your reference to "shmutz" is very close to my trademarked word Schputz®. I have no problem with you using your own interpretation of "stuff" that we tend to want to leave behind in brewing but if you get any closer to my trademarked word, you'll hear from my attorneys. :P

biofine is made for beer, Super Kleer isn't, it's IMO too good of a clarifier

Hey, hey... you just got my attention. TOO good of a clarifier, you say?  :scratch:

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Drez, I want you to know that your reference to "shmutz" is very close to my trademarked word Schputz®. I have no problem with you using your own interpretation of "stuff" that we tend to want to leave behind in brewing but if you get any closer to my trademarked word, you'll hear from my attorneys. :P

Hey, hey... you just got my attention. TOO good of a clarifier, you say?  :scratch:

it's made for Liquor, you want super duper kleer it'll do it

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

Maybe I'll try the biofine at some point. I will not use gelatin again on a hop forward beer. Hop character is more important to me than anything else in those beers. I'm not usually hell bent on clear beer but I have to say it is nice in a lager.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Maybe I'll try the biofine at some point. I will not use gelatin again on a hop forward beer. Hop character is more important to me than anything else in those beers. I'm not usually hell bent on clear beer but I have to say it is nice in a lager.

you can gel in secondary, to knock out the haze, then dry  hop in keg

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I don't like to secondary except in a keg. Plus the gel can still knock out hop character gained in the whirlpool. Also it will be hazy from the dry hop so I guess I don't care much about chill haze at that point. I really just want every last bit of hoppy goodness I can get from those beers.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

I don't like to secondary except in a keg. Plus the gel can still knock out hop character gained in the whirlpool. Also it will be hazy from the dry hop so I guess I don't care much about chill haze at that point. I really just want every last bit of hoppy goodness I can get from those beers.

I am not a hop junkie like most, but I certainly see your point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users