41 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Brewing this tonight. Need something quick, easy, and summery for the taps. 

Mosaic Sunshine PA

6 gallons

OG 1.052

IBU 35

76% Fawcett Golden Promise

20% Breiss Red Wheat

4% Baird's Light Carastan 15L

Mash @154F

26g Northern Brewer @60 to 35 IBU

70g Mosaic @165F whirlpool

45g Mosaic Dry Hop

WY1056

Ca-50, Na-8, SO4-100, Cl-18

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Nice.  I will be brewing something similar this weekend, fingers crossed, with either Simcoe or Mosaic.  I have much less bittering at 60 though.  I only use 7g of Apollo.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I too did something very similar and also had a little Vienna in there.  I used NB to bitter and Citra and Mosaic to finish.  Looking good ettels!

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Nice.  I will be brewing something similar this weekend, fingers crossed, with either Simcoe or Mosaic.  I have much less bittering at 60 though.  I only use 7g of Apollo.

Trying to use up some perfectly good Northern Brewer. I prefer Apollo too but this bag of N. Brewer has served me well. The other thing I am switching up is to back off on the sulfate some. After making quite a few PA/IPA with 200-300ppm SO4 I want to see what difference I perceive in the beer.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Looks tasty!

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I also have a couple ounces of Mosaic and I think I'm going to couple them with some Nugget (for bittering) and make a 5%, SRM 6-7, IBU 35-40 beer with them and ferment the whole thing with 1056.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Trying to use up some perfectly good Northern Brewer. I prefer Apollo too but this bag of N. Brewer has served me well. The other thing I am switching up is to back off on the sulfate some. After making quite a few PA/IPA with 200-300ppm SO4 I want to see what difference I perceive in the beer.

I have plenty of NB but I am saving them for a run of porters and browns.

Funny you mention the lowering of the SO4.  I was planing on doing the same thing after I listened to the Can You Brew it this week for Pale 31. 

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I have plenty of NB but I am saving them for a run of porters and browns.

Funny you mention the lowering of the SO4.  I was planing on doing the same thing after I listened to the Can You Brew it this week for Pale 31. 

I'll have to listen two that one. It's just easy to convince yourself that the sulfate is partly responsible for what your beer tastes like it does. When several of these beers turn out good you give credit, in part, to the SO4. So I want to step it back some and see what difference I notice. Ideally this would be on a more established recipe but I ain't perfect so here goes.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Update. What I never mentioned above was the genesis of this beer. While visiting Oshkosh, WI in early May I stopped by a local place for lunch one day. Not thrilled with their tap selection I had to choose something. Si I chose what I thought was the least potentially bad beer... Souther Tier's Hop Sun. Had never had it but a few other Southern Tier beers had left me disappointed in the past. Well it turned out I was thrilled with the beer. It was uberfresh from what I could tell had a nice floral lemony late hop character that was backed up with a crackery malt flavor that I had tasted before but didn't know what malt it was from. Fast forward a month or more I figured out that Golden Promise produces that malt flavor I liked so much in Hop Sun. I have no idea if GP is what they use in that beer but whatever they use is very similar to me. A little digging reveals that Hop Sun uses "pale malt, wheat ,and caramel" in undisclosed proportions. Rather than try to recreate it I just developed the above as "inspired by Hop Sun". Hop Sun is also straight Centennial for flavor. Being quite familiar with Centennial I opted to go with a hop I had not used by itself Mosaic. In the end the malt character is very similar to what I remember from Hop Sun. If anything maybe a little more wheat and a little less GP would get you there but I really like it where it is. As for the Mosaic it is an enjoyable hop to me. I find it a bit like a light Simcoe with some lemonyness and a faint earthiness (think willamette but much more subtle) and a decided berrylike fruit character on the finish. It has enough going on that it can stand on its own but I think it would really shine if blended just right with some other hops. Getting a little long here so I'll just say that this turned out very well for me and I will use the malt base again with other single or hop combinations to get a better feel for the flavor of other hops.

Posted Image

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Looks nice. My next 1056 beer is going to be the one I mentioned earlier with Nugget and Mosaic. I have the recipe ready to go but it's not in front of me. Interesting about the malt (GP) giving you the crackery profile. I wonder if a combination of the GP plus an English yeast would amp that character up at all. I say this because I seem to get that bready/crackery character when I use a good English yeast like 1099, 1028 or 1968. I mentioned this in my 312 Urban Pale Ale thread... dip your finger in your glass of beer and rub it on the back of your hand and take a sniff. If you use the right yeast, you get an aroma that's like Saltines crackers and that comes across really nice in the right beer. Cheers on that beer... looks very tasty.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

I like it, looks like a great beer.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

Curious to know if you attempted contact with Southern Tier.  I'm a big fan of their Grand Arbor FA and I sent them a humble email sharing my enthusiasm about the beer and asked a few harmless questions.  Never got a response.  Gosh I hate that......

Beauty of a beer btw.

M

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

Curious to know if you attempted contact with Southern Tier.  I'm a big fan of their Grand Arbor FA and I sent them a humble email sharing my enthusiasm about the beer and asked a few harmless questions.  Never got a response.  Gosh I hate that......

Beauty of a beer btw.

M

No I didn't try to contact them. I wasn't that motivated to actually try to recreate their beer. Once I figured out how to get a similar malt flavor I was content.

I did email a small brewery in Madison about a beer I had there a few weeks ago. Shared a lot of nice words about their beer and the great food I had when I was there. I haven't heard anything back. I will resend soon. Similar situation, trying to figure out how they got a particular malt profile in a pale ale of theirs.

ETA: BTW I mashed this beer at 156F and not 154F as stated above if anyone GAF. Finished at 1.013

Edited by ettels4, 14 August 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

I posted about how generously I was treated by two Ashville brewers on their collaboration with SN Beer Camp; Tater Ridge Scottish Ale.  Hats off to Wicked Weed and Green Man brewers Luke Dickinson and John Stuart.  They gave me an excellent road map to "try" and create a version.

Another generous brewery; Hinterland in WI.  They gave me plenty regarding their Farmhouse Ale.

Six Point in NY can suck it however :)

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

Many breweries will give you some good information. Metropolitan here in Chicago (head brewer & owner Doug Hurst) emailed me back about their kolsch and gave me a lot of information. Others have given some pieces of the information and it's up to you to figure it out. Hell, Goose Island sent me an Excel file with information on a boatload of their beers including which malts, which hops, ABV, etc. The only one I remember giving me no information was New Glarus. I got an email from Deb Carey who said that the brewing business is too competitive for them to share anything. If someone spent a very long time putting their beers together to get the recipes just right, I suppose giving that information away might be problematic. Especially when you don't know if you're talking to a homebrewer or someone at a competing brewery trying to get an edge.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I can agree about not wanting to disclose recipe secrets but in the whole scheme of being in a service industry, an email response back saying "no" is better than nothing.  I guess it's a wash.

Plus, even if each of us were given a recipe and ingredients to all make the same beer, how many do you think would be 'spot on' side by side in tastings?  Probably not many.  Maybe I'm wrong though :)  Thoughts?

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

I can agree about not wanting to disclose recipe secrets but in the whole scheme of being in a service industry, an email response back saying "no" is better than nothing.  I guess it's a wash.

Plus, even if each of us were given a recipe and ingredients to all make the same beer, how many do you think would be 'spot on' side by side in tastings?  Probably not many.  Maybe I'm wrong though :)  Thoughts?

Yeah, if this little place in Madison does not at least send me a respectful decline they will be doing themselves a disservice. I gave them a lot of positive feedback (deservedly so) on their establishment. A simple return email isn't asking too much.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

I can agree about not wanting to disclose recipe secrets but in the whole scheme of being in a service industry, an email response back saying "no" is better than nothing.  I guess it's a wash.   Plus, even if each of us were given a recipe and ingredients to all make the same beer, how many do you think would be 'spot on' side by side in tastings?  Probably not many.  Maybe I'm wrong though :)  Thoughts?

On one hand, I think that 20 different brewers in 20 different areas of the country using 20 different processes on different equipment and possibly slightly different ingredients... are going to make 20 different but similar beers. But it's possible that someone at a brewery had an idea for a beer and picked up all the ingredients and brewed the beer 10 times on a pilot system and did something magical (use your imagination) that all of the test-tasters thought was phenomenal and it could possibly be a big commercial success. How much of that information is the brewery willing to give out? Do they give out some but not all? Do they tell you the ingredients but leave out a key part of the process (like you dance in a circle when you add the last hop addition :D) or just say, "Sorry... can't give that out". When I went on the New Glarus tour, some buds of mine told me that they answer any and all questions but when I got there and asked some deeper questions, I got little-to-no feedback. At the beginning of the tour, the guys says, "Okay, who are the homebrewers!? There's always at least one!" and my wife points to me. I'm the only one. I asked about various things like "Do you adjust your water based on the style of beer?". Long stare and then... "Mmmm, no". Whatever. I hear that the Careys (Deb and Dan) were never homebrewers so maybe they don't have that connection like some other brewers.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

If I recall Dan Carey spent a lot of time getting a brewing education and even interned/worked at Ayinger for a few years. A lot of time and likely $$$ invested probably helps keep him tight lipped. Different perspectives I guess.

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

All good points Ken.  Maybe you came on so strong they feared your rapier like wit, talent and love for the brewing process :)  However only knowing you as a Brew Brother and what you contribute to all of us, I can only assume you conducted yourself as a gentleman and asked humble intelligent questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users