26 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:07 AM

How often do you get your water tested?  I am on a well and have recently noticed some strange pH numbers and no agreement with the BnW outputs.  It has been a couple of years since my last test so I just ordered a new test from Ward to see where my water is.  really interested in the results and how they compare to the last time.

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

My guess is a well would be mostly consistent compared to city water. I have only had mine tested once so far. Definitely of interest. Keep us posted.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

I have city water, but it's from a well :D

need to get mine tested as well, I've been using numbers provided by the city 

(no pun intended)

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

never had mine tested.  i'm relying on a water report from the supplier that is 3 or so years old now.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

never had mine tested.  i'm relying on a water report from the supplier that is 3 or so years old now.

pretty much same here  :blush:

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

I looked and mine is form 2011.  I just seem to be getting some odd readings and figure a re-test should not hurt much.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Usually I get mine tested every 2-3 years, but I know my well is pretty consistent.  We recently had to replace the old galvanized pipe from the well to the pressure tank, so I'm going to get it tested again to see what if anything the decomposing galvanized was doing to my water.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Usually I get mine tested every 2-3 years, but I know my well is pretty consistent.  We recently had to replace the old galvanized pipe from the well to the pressure tank, so I'm going to get it tested again to see what if anything the decomposing galvanized was doing to my water.

isn't that pretty unhealthy?

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

isn't that pretty unhealthy?

Probably.  The entire house is plumbed with old galvanized.  Gonna get it replaced.

#10 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Probably.  The entire house is plumbed with old galvanized.  Gonna get it replaced.

Usually a layer of calcium/minerals will build up on the inside of galvanized pipe so there is minimal contact between the water and the metal. It's still good to replace them. The flow gets pretty choked off over the years.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Usually a layer of calcium/minerals will build up on the inside of galvanized pipe so there is minimal contact between the water and the metal. It's still good to replace them. The flow gets pretty choked off over the years.

That's exactly what's happening with mine.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

To bring closure to this, I know everyone was waiting for it.  I just got the results back and have compared them to the last test in 2011.  Looks like not much has changed. 

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6pHSwuyPMBs/U-TpVOHwkWI/AAAAAAAAFFQ/lll0CFSphdo/w247-h264-no/water.gif

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Brew on!!!

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

To bring closure to this, I know everyone was waiting for it.  I just got the results back and have compared them to the last test in 2011.  Looks like not much has changed. 

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6pHSwuyPMBs/U-TpVOHwkWI/AAAAAAAAFFQ/lll0CFSphdo/w247-h264-no/water.gif

water jealousy  :blush:

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Also, I was asked about the time of the test season wise.  The 2011 test was done in September and the 2014 test was done in August so I feel pretty good about that.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

yeah - I'd probably wait a while before testing again unless something happens that you suspect changes things.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'm not sure how long ago I had my water tested but it's been a good 6-8 years. I'm not concerned about it though because many brewers I know in Chicago & Milwaukee who use Lake Michigan water have had their water sampled by Ward Labs and reported their numbers and they're always very consistent. I have compared numbers with a lot of people who use this water and it always comes out very close or right on. If pH values started to fluctuate wildly and your numbers started to by inconsistent with BNW, that would concern me and I would probably get another test.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I'm not sure how long ago I had my water tested but it's been a good 6-8 years. I'm not concerned about it though because many brewers I know in Chicago & Milwaukee who use Lake Michigan water have had their water sampled by Ward Labs and reported their numbers and they're always very consistent. I have compared numbers with a lot of people who use this water and it always comes out very close or right on. If pH values started to fluctuate wildly and your numbers started to by inconsistent with BNW, that would concern me and I would probably get another test.

This is what triggered me to have it tested again.  My predicted BnW pH and what I was getting were not jiving.  I have since got the full version of BnW with a donation and entered my new values.  I will be testing it out for the fist time this week with a Mild if the yeast starts to take off.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

This is what triggered me to have it tested again.  My predicted BnW pH and what I was getting were not jiving.  I have since got the full version of BnW with a donation and entered my new values.  I will be testing it out for the fist time this week with a Mild if the yeast starts to take off.

I will mention for the record that BNW consistently tells me that I need more acid than I actually do. I mentioned this in another thread, sent a copy of my BNW values to Martin and I believe Martin commented in the thread as well. I believe he said that he looked at it and thought that everything I entered was correct but that he couldn't see why the app was telling me I needed more acid. My assumption was that I did something incorrectly because I have always had a bit of trouble navigating BNW. To this day, if I enter something into BNW, it's consistently high on the amount of acid needed. So instead I go back to past batches where the SRM was similar and I go from there and I have been very good (5.2 - 5.3 mash pH) since then. My guess is that YOUR version of BNW was spot on and then all of a sudden things changed which would suggest a change in the water profile since your last analysis. My hope is that it's a seasonal thing that is predictable so you're not constantly guessing on what's up with the water.

Edited by KenLenard, 18 August 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Yes,  I was going along fine and then my actual pH reading was higher than what was predicted.  I would expect 5.3 or 5.3 an I would be up around 5.7.  This happened for a few batches and then I decided it was time for a water test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users