#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

If lovin the finishing combo of citra and mosaic is wrong, then I don't want to be right.  If you agree, what do you like to bitter with and what are your schedules?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

I agree with you, great combo.  these days I like to use Apollo to bitter with.  For an APA  I aim the 30 IBU range.  My schedule seems to change I will do a 60,10, whirlpool or a 60,15,5,whirlpool or sometimes a 60,15,10,5 whirlpool.  I guess it depends on my mood.  In all of those cases they get a healthy dry hop too.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

I also agree with keeping the APA around the same IBU's.  Lately it's either been Northern Brewer or Magnum for the clean bitter charge.  The batch I'm drinking right now is so enjoyable I'll be sad when the keg kicks; NB for bitter and 2 ounces each Citra/Mosaic, an ounce tossed at 20,10,5 and FO.  A summer winner for sure.  I haven't dry hopped with either, perhaps I need to give that a try.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

I also agree with keeping the APA around the same IBU's.  Lately it's either been Northern Brewer or Magnum for the clean bitter charge.  The batch I'm drinking right now is so enjoyable I'll be sad when the keg kicks; NB for bitter and 2 ounces each Citra/Mosaic, an ounce tossed at 20,10,5 and FO.  A summer winner for sure.  I haven't dry hopped with either, perhaps I need to give that a try.

:goodidea:

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I did a Simcoe/Mosaic APA that was dry-hopped. I liked it but it was a little harsh so I'd recommend something other than Simcoe. I wouldn't hesitate to dry hop with Mosaic though.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

So do you crazy cats, DH in the primary, secondary or keg?  Or combo?

Getting excited; I have all ingredients on hand for either an APA or a Saison that WILL utilize these hops....

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I did a Simcoe/Mosaic APA that was dry-hopped. I liked it but it was a little harsh so I'd recommend something other than Simcoe. I wouldn't hesitate to dry hop with Mosaic though.

That is interesting.  I do an all Simcoe beer and it is anything but harsh.

So do you crazy cats, DH in the primary, secondary or keg?  Or combo?

Getting excited; I have all ingredients on hand for either an APA or a Saison that WILL utilize these hops....

I will DH in the Primary for about 4-5 days and then if I want a second dose of DH's I will move it ot a keg and DH there before I transfer t a  serving keg.  The transfer is not required but I like to do it so I have less junk in the keg to knock back into solution.

Edited by drez77, 22 July 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

I DH in the keg most of the time, dangling the little buggers about half way down.  Maybe I'll add some C/M in my next batch.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

I agree with you, great combo. these days I like to use Apollo to bitter with. For an APA I aim the 30 IBU range. My schedule seems to change I will do a 60,10, whirlpool or a 60,15,5,whirlpool or sometimes a 60,15,10,5 whirlpool. I guess it depends on my mood. In all of those cases they get a healthy dry hop too.

So out of all the different hop schedules do you notice much of a difference in them? And if so what's different?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

So out of all the different hop schedules do you notice much of a difference in them? And if so what's different?

That is a good question and I will have to go back and look through my notes.  I will say that my favorite is 60,15,10,5 whirlpool and dryhop.  For my tastes this seems to have the most hop aroma and flavor.  I have done the same beers with 60,10, whirlpool and dry hop and they seem to be lacking to me.  Both beers were done with the same amount of hops from 15 in and just spread out to accommodate the additions.  I think I like to have a bit more hops in the boil and less of a huge charge in the whirlpool. 

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

That is a good question and I will have to go back and look through my notes. I will say that my favorite is 60,15,10,5 whirlpool and dryhop. For my tastes this seems to have the most hop aroma and flavor. I have done the same beers with 60,10, whirlpool and dry hop and they seem to be lacking to me. Both beers were done with the same amount of hops from 15 in and just spread out to accommodate the additions. I think I like to have a bit more hops in the boil and less of a huge charge in the whirlpool.

Gotcha. I can definitely see a difference in the finished beer with those hop schedules. I haven't come to a verdict in which one I like better, there both good. BTW, just got word I won a club comp of IPA's with your Holiday Hug recipe!

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Gotcha. I can definitely see a difference in the finished beer with those hop schedules. I haven't come to a verdict in which one I like better, there both good. BTW, just got word I won a club comp of IPA's with your Holiday Hug recipe!

Awesome!!! Good job

I need to brew another batch of that beer soon.  Just kicked a keg of it.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

CONGRATULATIONS. I'm heading right now to find that thread.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

That is interesting.  I do an all Simcoe beer and it is anything but harsh.

Agreed. It might also have been the Calypso bittering hops. First time to use them and I'll be sure to note if there is a harshness next time.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

Agreed. It might also have been the Calypso bittering hops. First time to use them and I'll be sure to note if there is a harshness next time.

Agh, Calypso.  I have a # of that in the freezer with no idea how to use it.  I may just use it for mash-hopping.

#16 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

I am a big proponent of the large whirlpool dose followed by dry hopping late primary and in the keg. Only hops boiled are typically 60 though I have brewed an IPA without a 60 addition just a 30 and a 30 minute boil but a long no chill that worked great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users