45 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

To me, a gimmick beer is something that is supposed to taste like something not usually associated with beer---such as pumpkin beers and things of the like.

Well yesterday I finally got to sample Catawba's Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

Holy crap!  The best gimmick beer I have had in many many years.  When you take a sip, you get the roasted peanuts.  The aftertaste is definitely jelly tasting.  I wish I could have gotten more.

Which "gimmick" beer have you guys tried that you were pleasantly surprised with?

Posted Image

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

I have to think about this one.  All i am coming up with are beers that did not work well.  I had high hops for Shorts Key Lime Pie but that was just a bad beer.

I did have a sample of a Nacho beer once, I cannot remember the name of it, but it tasted like a plate of nachos.  Not something I would drink a lot of but it was not awful.

#3 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10661 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

The basil IPA that I will be brewing for the third time tomorrow night. Brew partner came up with the idea and it turned out really well.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

I have to think about this one.  All i am coming up with are beers that did not work well.  I had high hops for Shorts Key Lime Pie but that was just a bad beer.

I did have a sample of a Nacho beer once, I cannot remember the name of it, but it tasted like a plate of nachos.  Not something I would drink a lot of but it was not awful.

I had a salsa beer that was excellent. Tasted like corn chips, salsa, and beer all in one sip.

Brewery here (7th Sun) makes a key lime pie berlinner that is fan-freakin-tastic. One of the best beers I've ever had.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

That beer IS pretty good Hines. I have a few in my fridge right now. It also has a neat story behind how the brewer came up with it. Then also a sad story that Catawba wouldn't let the brewer take the recipe with him when he opened his own brewery.

#6 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10661 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

I had a salsa beer that was excellent. Tasted like corn chips, salsa, and beer all in one sip. Brewery here (7th Sun) makes a key lime pie berlinner that is fan-freakin-tastic. One of the best beers I've ever had.

The key lime sounds fantastic!!

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

The key lime sounds fantastic!!

I don't know what they did to get the pie sweetness, maybe they put some gram crackers in there somewhere and back sweetened it, but it tasted just like a nice tart key lime pie. It was delicious.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

I don't know what they did to get the pie sweetness, maybe they put some gram crackers in there somewhere and back sweetened it, but it tasted just like a nice tart key lime pie. It was delicious.

I can see a key lime berlinner working real well.  Much better than what I had from Shorts.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Interesting.  We have a recipe in the book called Peanut Butter Jelly Time.  But neither one of us had any idea a beer with that name really existed.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

what kind of base does the Bsil beer use?

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Which "gimmick" beer have you guys tried that you were pleasantly surprised with?

Nothing really comes to mind to be perfectly honest. Around here chile beers are very popular in the fall. Ditto for pumpkin beers. I don't really care for either one. Trinity has a slew of gimmicky saisons (e.g., Elektrick Cukumbahh) and some of them are OK but I wouldn't want to drink more than a glass of any of them. There are some brewers in the club that only make beers like that.Holding glass out: "Hey Lou, what did you bring?""Chocolate banana maple syrup porter.""Just a little. I have to drive home."

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Nothing really comes to mind to be perfectly honest. Around here chile beers are very popular in the fall. Ditto for pumpkin beers. I don't really care for either one. Trinity has a slew of gimmicky saisons (e.g., Elektrick Cukumbahh) and some of them are OK but I wouldn't want to drink more than a glass of any of them. There are some brewers in the club that only make beers like that.Holding glass out: "Hey Lou, what did you bring?""Chocolate banana maple syrup porter.""Just a little. I have to drive home."

I know that guy!

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Not good but not as bad as I thought it would be. But yes, still bad

Posted Image

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

The basil IPA that I will be brewing for the third time tomorrow night. Brew partner came up with the idea and it turned out really well.

The brewery I consult for just made a Basil IPA.  I thought it was gonna suck, but fortunately the basil is pretty subdued.

Every hemp beer I've tried I consider a gimmick.  Added nothing to the beer.

#15 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

I tried to make a beer that tasted like a Christmas Sugar Cookie.

Sigh... I really want a sugar cookie right about now!

#16 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10661 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

what kind of base does the Bsil beer use?

The brewery I consult for just made a Basil IPA.  I thought it was gonna suck, but fortunately the basil is pretty subdued.Every hemp beer I've tried I consider a gimmick.  Added nothing to the beer.

The base is actually Ken's MLPA. The basil is there but subdued. It's an often requested beer.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

How about that Dogfish Head Saison with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme? That one could take the curl out of Art Garfunkel's hair... sheesh...https://www.dogfish....son-du-BUFF.htmdu Barf

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

The base is actually Ken's MLPA. The basil is there but subdued. It's an often requested beer.

what variety and how much do you use in a  5 gallon batch?

#19 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

Posted ImageIt's hard to drink a lot of this, but it is exactly as advertised.

#20 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10661 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

what variety and how much do you use in a 5 gallon batch?

not a lot of basil. Just the regular baseline the plastic containers from the grocery store since I didn't plant any this year. Few leaves with about ten minutes left in the boil. I'll get the recipe out tonight because we switched up the hops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users