#21 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I put it in the other thread, but Brew Dog's juniper and cucumber infused Punk IPA. It was a special they had on last month in Edinburgh. I hate IPAs but it was pretty tasty.

#22 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

I"ve had the creme brule.  It indeed, is exactly as advertised.   I couldn't drink an entire pint though.

Also, i'm so thirsty for some MLPA!

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

That beer IS pretty good Hines. I have a few in my fridge right now. It also has a neat story behind how the brewer came up with it. Then also a sad story that Catawba wouldn't let the brewer take the recipe with him when he opened his own brewery.

how does that work?  did they patent the beer?  force him to sign some kind of NDA/non-compete contract when he started?

a local place called throwback brewery tends to do a lot of these beers.  I haven't tried any of them though.

maple porter (not that gimmicky)

rhubarb wit

jalapeno pilsner

chocolate peanut butter stout

watermelon blond

chai porter

pumpkin ale (also pretty common)

coffeemilk stout

Edited by TheGuv, 23 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Posted ImageIt's hard to drink a lot of this, but it is exactly as advertised.

Yeah. This is the beer that came to my mind too. You have a sip and say "Wow! That tastes just like creme brûlée!!" Then you have another sip and say."Wow, I this is completely undrinkable!"

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

I had an oyster stout once.  it tasted like a stout at first but then after swallowing there was something like what oysters probably taste like (never had a raw oyster myself).  kind of briny and tasted like sea water.

#26 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yeah. This is the beer that came to my mind too. You have a sip and say "Wow! That tastes just like creme brûlée!!" Then you have another sip and say."Wow, I this is completely undrinkable!"

If I ever get another one of these I'll just pour it over vanilla ice cream.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

If I ever get another one of these I'll just pour it over vanilla ice cream.

For sure, that would work out well.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

how does that work?  did they patent the beer?  force him to sign some kind of NDA/non-compete contract when he started?

a local place called throwback brewery tends to do a lot of these beers.  I haven't tried any of them though.

maple porter (not that gimmicky)

rhubarb wit

jalapeno pilsner

chocolate peanut butter stout

watermelon blond

chai porter

pumpkin ale (also pretty common)

coffeemilk stout

Not really sure just what I was told.

#29 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

Not good but not as bad as I thought it would be. But yes, still badPosted Image

I was going to mention this one. Blech

#30 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14713 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

Creme Brûlée definitely ranks up there. I had never tasted a beer like it. I agree with others here that an 8 oz pour is probably all you need in one sitting - maybe still too much. Cigar City Humidor IPA was one of my absolute Top 5 beer experiences. Terrapin Cinnamon Rolled Wake N Bake was also a phenomenal beer. Kind of a similar experience to Creme Brûlée, but maybe better

#31 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

DuClaw has Sweet Baby Jesus, a peanut butter and chocolate porter. It's decent.

Came here to mention this one. Not my cup of tea. I think the craft beer industry is in somewhat of a saturation slump and now they're turning the creativity knob a little too close to crazy.

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Creme Brûlée definitely ranks up there. I had never tasted a beer like it. I agree with others here that an 8 oz pour is probably all you need in one sitting - maybe still too much.Cigar City Humidor IPA was one of my absolute Top 5 beer experiences.Terrapin Cinnamon Rolled Wake N Bake was also a phenomenal beer. Kind of a similar experience to Creme Brûlée, but maybe better

Haven't had it in a while, but Jai Alai has changed over the years and it's not quite as good as it used to be.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

Haven't had it in a while, but Jai Alai has changed over the years and it's not quite as good as it used to be.

Agree. I recently had the canned version and it was nothing like the older bottled one. I prefer the older one.

#34 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

I've heard people say taking it in the can is good, However I'd prefer it right here in the bottle.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

I've heard people say taking it in the can is good, However I'd prefer it right here in the bottle.

I was careful how I phrased my response in preparation for this comment :)

#36 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

Came here to mention this one. Not my cup of tea. I think the craft beer industry is in somewhat of a saturation slump and now they're turning the creativity knob a little too close to crazy.

worst one I ever had was from Carton Brewing in NJ, it's called Intermezzo and it's a green apple and wasabi sour...just awful (both odor and flavor)

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

worst one I ever had was from Carton Brewing in NJ, it's called Intermezzo and it's a green apple and wasabi sour...just awful (both odor and flavor)

How does that even get off the drawing board?  I do like their boat beer though.

#38 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

Agree. I recently had the canned version and it was nothing like the older bottled one. I prefer the older one.

I think it's mainly because they had to change the hops as they grew. They couldn't get enough of the hops they originally used while growing so damn fast. I think they'll hit the 100k bbl mark in a year or so.

#39 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

How does that even get off the drawing board?  I do like their boat beer though.

no clue. the part that was even funnier was the employees pouring beers at the brewery trying to convince you of how awesome that beer is and how much they love it...it was simply awful...arguably the worst beer I've ever had.

i too like Boat

#40 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

I was careful how I phrased my response in preparation for this comment :)

Easy bait, but I just couldn't pass it up. Have a great day and if work's involved have a great expedient day :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users