#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

dry hopping at room temp is fine but did not do a whole lot for me.  I think I like dry hopping cold about as much.  I guess you might get a more intense initial hop blast but over the long term I think doing it cold might yield smoother results.

also - leaving kegs in the upper 60s for extended periods doesn't do much to help the beer in my opinion.  nothing too major but it def aged it a little more than I have experienced if I keep them cold, cold cold.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

I guess I would add that this is in beer (2 beers actually) that was chilled and kegged (but not really carbed that much).  My results would likely be different if I did a primary dry hop prior to chilling (crashing).

Edited by TheGuv, 24 July 2014 - 12:22 PM.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

just to have all the information, how long was the dry hop?  At least the part that was done in the 60's

I always dry hop in the 60's.  Even if it is in the keg I will dry hop at the temperature of my cellar and then move the beer off the dry hops to a different keg to serve.

Edited by drez77, 24 July 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

dry hopping at room temp is fine but did not do a whole lot for me.  I think I like dry hopping cold about as much.  I guess you might get a more intense initial hop blast but over the long term I think doing it cold might yield smoother results.

also - leaving kegs in the upper 60s for extended periods doesn't do much to help the beer in my opinion.  nothing too major but it def aged it a little more than I have experienced if I keep them cold, cold cold.

The one time (N=1, mind you) that I dry hopped cold I got very little from it. My usual process is to dry hop in primary for 3 days and then chill for a day or two before racking to a keg. If I do a second dry hop it is in the keg and again for 3 days or so before chilling. Drez probably has the best way of dealing with a keg dry hop… do a closed transfer to another keg, but I can't say leaving the bag in there to float around has hurt anything in my beers as far as I can tell. I expect those beers to be hazy.

There was a podcast I listened to and I can't remember who they were talking to (Mitch Steele, Brynildson... somebody who's opinion mattered) who said to always dry hop warm to maximize solubility of the hop oils into the beer. 

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

The one time (N=1, mind you) that I dry hopped cold I got very little from it. My usual process is to dry hop in primary for 3 days and then chill for a day or two before racking to a keg. If I do a second dry hop it is in the keg and again for 3 days or so before chilling. Drez probably has the best way of dealing with a keg dry hop… do a closed transfer to another keg, but I can't say leaving the bag in there to float around has hurt anything in my beers as far as I can tell. I expect those beers to be hazy.

There was a podcast I listened to and I can't remember who they were talking to (Mitch Steele, Brynildson... somebody who's opinion mattered) who said to always dry hop warm to maximize solubility of the hop oils into the beer. 

I usually dry hop as soon as the krausen falls

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hazy by meaning there's a hop bag in the keg that is causing haze?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

just to have all the information, how long was the dry hop?  At least the part that was done in the 60's

I always dry hop in the 60's.  Even if it is in the keg I will dry hop at the temperature of my cellar and then move the beer off the dry hops to a different keg to serve.

one of them was about a week I think.  the other was a couple of months ( :lol:).

the shorter beer didn't suffer much for doing the warm dry hop.  initially it seemed to have better aroma but I felt it pretty quickly settled into an amount of aroma that was similar to the same beer that I dry hopped cold (this the 2 kegs of OPA I had)

the couple of months beer I'm drinking now (denny's rye IPA).  the hop aroma doesn't seem better than when I just dry hop it cold in the keg.

Edited by TheGuv, 24 July 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

I usually dry hop as soon as the krausen falls

Yep, that's how I do it. After 3 days sans krausen and warm the beer has had a chance to clean up and hit TG. It gets chilled for a day or 2 to drop some yeast and hop particulate and then racked to a keg.

Hazy by meaning there's a hop bag in the keg that is causing haze?

Dry hopping makes the beer hazy.

the couple of months beer I'm drinking now (denny's rye IPA).  the hop aroma doesn't seem better than when I just dry hop it cold in the keg.

If by this you meant "couple of months old beer" I can only say that my hop aroma is generally laking (or not what it once was) on any hop forward beer that has lasted a couple of months.

Edited by ettels4, 24 July 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Yep, that's how I do it. After 3 days sans krausen and warm the beer has had a chance to clean up and hit TG. It gets chilled for a day or 2 to drop some yeast and hop particulate and then racked to a keg.

If by this you meant "couple of months old beer" I can only say that my hop aroma is generally laking (or not what it once was) on any hop forward beer that has lasted a couple of months.

i mean it sat at 60-70F with hops in it for a couple of months.  typically once my beers are cold they stay cold.  these dry hopping experiments are not the norm for me.

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

Dry hopping for a couple of months isn't the norm either. Holy grass BatmanI dry hop at primary temp, shortly after TG. Dry hop for a week, dump the hops. Repeat as desired. Crash, dump, transfer to bright tank and force carb. The oils aren't as soluble in cold beer, as someone mentioned earlier.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Dry hopping for a couple of months isn't the norm either. Holy grass BatmanI dry hop at primary temp, shortly after TG. Dry hop for a week, dump the hops. Repeat as desired. Crash, dump, transfer to bright tank and force carb. The oils aren't as soluble in cold beer, as someone mentioned earlier.

i know it's not.  i thought cold space would open up sooner.  i find no issues with dry hopping in a keg until it kicks if it's kept cold for most of the dry hopping.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

i find no issues with dry hopping in a keg until it kicks if it's kept cold for most of the dry hopping.

Yeah I agree on that. Its just the first few days that need to be warm as far as my tastes are concerned.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Most interesting. I have had many a clear beer that was dry-hopped.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Most interesting. I have had many a clear beer that was dry-hopped.

I wonder if it's a function of amount, cold, time, etc...

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

I typically dry hop cold, just for reasons of practicality.  But I do like the results.  The hops stay in for a couple months, til the keg kicks.  Someone posted on the AHA forum not too long ago about a study by Stiener, the world's largest hop wholesaler.  Their researcher had found much better results by dry hopping cold (around 35F IIRC) than at room temp.  I also have started xferring the beer to a secondary before dry hopping after reading an article by Stan Hieronymus about the interaction of hops and some yeasts creating increased levels of geraniol.  I seem to be getting better results by doing that.

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

I typically dry hop cold, just for reasons of practicality.  But I do like the results.  The hops stay in for a couple months, til the keg kicks.  Someone posted on the AHA forum not too long ago about a study by Stiener, the world's largest hop wholesaler.  Their researcher had found much better results by dry hopping cold (around 35F IIRC) than at room temp.  I also have started xferring the beer to a secondary before dry hopping after reading an article by Stan Hieronymus about the interaction of hops and some yeasts creating increased levels of geraniol.  I seem to be getting better results by doing that.

I thought geraniol was desirable in style like APA/IPA

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I thought geraniol was desirable in style like APA/IPA

I dunno...if so, I would think at a very low level.  All I know is that I definitely prefer the beer with lower levels.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

I dunno...if so, I would think at a very low level.  All I know is that I definitely prefer the beer with lower levels.

I could certainly be wrong (again)

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

I typically dry hop cold, just for reasons of practicality. But I do like the results. The hops stay in for a couple months, til the keg kicks. Someone posted on the AHA forum not too long ago about a study by Stiener, the world's largest hop wholesaler. Their researcher had found much better results by dry hopping cold (around 35F IIRC) than at room temp. I also have started xferring the beer to a secondary before dry hopping after reading an article by Stan Hieronymus about the interaction of hops and some yeasts creating increased levels of geraniol. I seem to be getting better results by doing that.

Well, that sounds like a good reason to give it another try. I cant pick out geraniol anyways so cant say if i like it or not.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

damnit!  by pure laziness I already had a pretty good method (cold dry hopping).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users