1# flaked barley

7g calcium chloride

7g gypsum

7 ml lactic

no sparge mash 4 hours at 147F

.75 ounces 8% Amarillo @ FWH

1 ounce 8% Amarillo @10

Belle Saison yeast

Juice and zest of 5 grapefruits added to secondary.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I had my hands on the bottle of Sophie Paradisi but put it down. Maybe I shouldn't have. I like the looks of your recipe here. Have you ever used the Belle Saison? I have a pack waiting for my attention. No recipe yet.

#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

If I were to add the juice of 5 grapefruit, I believe I'd wait until late in secondary when the yeast was done. Depending on how much juice that is volumetricaly, a jolt of ascorbic acid it may affect the ability of the yeast to finish. 

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

If it was a bottle, it might have been regular Sofie. The Paradisi was a draft only one-off. Sofie is good but the Paradisi was barrel aged with grapefruit. It was outstanding IMO. 

I've never used the Belle. I got the pack from NHC so I might as well use it. I love 3724, I'm hoping the belle is at least half as good.

If I were to add the juice of 5 grapefruit, I believe I'd wait until late in secondary when the yeast was done. Depending on how much juice that is volumetricaly, a jolt of ascorbic acid it may affect the ability of the yeast to finish. 

That's the plan. I might even just add it to the keg with the zest. I have a few kegs set up with sure-screens.

#5 darkmagneto

darkmagneto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I made a Grapefruit Saison about 3 years ago.  I used the ratio of 1 Grapefruit per gallon and thought that it was a little under-stated.  However, I did add everything at flameout, so maybe with the secondary addition you will have the grapefruit shine through better.  Zesting the fruit then juicing them was what I did also.  My kitchen smelled amazing!

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I made a Grapefruit Saison about 3 years ago.  I used the ratio of 1 Grapefruit per gallon and thought that it was a little under-stated.  However, I did add everything at flameout, so maybe with the secondary addition you will have the grapefruit shine through better.  Zesting the fruit then juicing them was what I did also.  My kitchen smelled amazing!

Thanks dark. I'll bump it up then. I really want the grapefruit to pop.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm thinking that some Nelson Suavin might add a nice hop flavor to the grapefruit. Not much that's for sure...

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Make sure the people you serve this to know that there's grapefruit in it.  Many people (like me) cannot have grapefruit due to it's interaction with some meds.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Make sure the people you serve this to know that there's grapefruit in it.  Many people (like me) cannot have grapefruit due to it's interaction with some meds.

I'll put a warning on my beer: "DO NOT TAKE DRUGS WHILE DRINKING THIS BEER!!!"  :D

#10 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

I've used the Belle Saison yeast and like it. It does not produce much an earthiness that I expect from a Saison yeast, but it does have some light Belgian phenols and is relatively clean when fermented at 70F. I did have to push it to 80F in the late ferment to keep it going in a 9% beer, but it did attenuate down to 0.998. I think it would be a great Belgian Pale Ale yeast. 

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

This is good to know. For a 9% did you use a couple packs? Did you make a starter with this dry yeast?

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'm only making a 1.055 beer, shooting for 6.5% abv. I'd like it to finish around 1.005, hopefully the wheat and flaked barley will keep it above 1.000. I plan on starting it out at 68F and ramping it up to 80ish. 

#13 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I've used just the zest with WLP560 @ 90dfF.  Sorachi Ace upfront, Saaz @ 10 min.  Nice citrus/pepper finish.  No worry about mixing with the meds.

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

same here

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16584 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Grapefruit 45, Colt 45, seems like there should be a good name for this beer somewhere in there. Anyways CWG, semi-related question... How do you maintain that mash temp for 4 hrs. Is it in a cooler with just some minor cooling over that time period?

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Grapefruit 45, Colt 45, seems like there should be a good name for this beer somewhere in there. Anyways CWG, semi-related question... How do you maintain that mash temp for 4 hrs. Is it in a cooler with just some minor cooling over that time period?

was wondering the same

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Cooler with a blanket over the top. I loose a few degrees. It doesn't worry me and the beers come out fine.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Cooler with a blanket over the top. I loose a few degrees. It doesn't worry me and the beers come out fine.

no biggie really, probably makes for a highly fermentable wort, I assume you do this for convenience

#19 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

no biggie really, probably makes for a highly fermentable wort, I assume you do this for convenience

All my beers finish where they are supposed to. Completely for convenience. I dough in at lunch and run off after work. I've been pitched, cleaned up and put away by 730 on a weekday.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

The Belle Saison took off like a monster, big krausen after a few hours. The carboy was filled up to about the shoulders. Luckily I added a few drops of fermcap or it would have been a mess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users