46 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Well that'll shave at least 10 minutes off my brewday.

for me it is nice because i have have the water ready first thing in the morning when I get up.

#22 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Agreed but props to you if you can pull it off. I'd be tempted to head in the other direction and brew at night.

it's still 80+ at 9PM

#23 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

for me it is nice because i have have the water ready first thing in the morning when I get up.

My point was that having the water ready now or 10 minutes later doesn't matter that much to me. It's going to take me that long to crush the grain.

it's still 80+ at 9PM

Well that sucks then. Thought it was supposed to get cold in the desert when the sun goes down. Even if it's hot during the day here, it still drops down to reasonable temps pretty soon after dark.

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

that's just too damned early

Hey, I'm retired...I've got nothing else to do!  I kinda like the peace and quiet.

#25 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

My point was that having the water ready now or 10 minutes later doesn't matter that much to me. It's going to take me that long to crush the grain.Well that sucks then. Thought it was supposed to get cold in the desert when the sun goes down. Even if it's hot during the day here, it still drops down to reasonable temps pretty soon after dark.

I live in the greenish brown part of WA, not the brown part :D

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Add a timer to your panel and you can have that water ready for whenever you want it.

I put my water in the kettle the day before.  At 5 AM on brewday, I just light the burner on my way to pick up the paper, then grab a cup of coffee and read the paper til it's ready.  Ambient temp is in the low 50s when I start and usually isn't above 80 by the time I'm done.

Edited by denny, 30 July 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

I put my water in the kettle the day before.  At 5 AM on brewday, I just light the burner on my way to pick up the paper, then grab a cup of coffee and read the paper til it's ready.

I do the same but also like to have it ready and waiting for me.  Brewing with 2 small children has been a challenge and I need to save time when I can.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Well that'll shave at least 10 minutes off my brewday.

Only 10 mins?! It takes my system 45 min to year up 20 gals. to around 160. What am I missing?

#29 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Brewing with 2 small children has been a challenge and I need to save time when I can.

This ^^I perform my mis en place all week long and typically mash in about 11pm on a Friday night. Up early on Saturday to run off, boil and cool and I'm usually done with clean up by 11am.

#30 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Only 10 mins?! It takes my system 45 min to year up 20 gals. to around 160. What am I missing?

You're probably using cold tap water.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Yes

#32 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

I use cold carbon filtered tap water, how are you getting around the "don't filter hot water" issue? 

#33 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

By not filtering.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

By not filtering.

relying strictly on Campden?

#35 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

No, I just let the chlorine evaporate. We don't use very much here and practically none in the winter time, which is when I tend to brew most.

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

No, I just let the chlorine evaporate. We don't use very much here and practically none in the winter time, which is when I tend to brew most.

<--paranoid of chlorophenols

#37 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Certainly understandable since nothing will ruin a beer quicker. But my philosophy is that it's not a problem until it's a problem and then I'll worry about it.

#38 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:26 AM

I wonder how much chlorine/chloramine would need to be in tap water for chlorophenols to present in the finished beer. I don't filter my water but have never picked up any chlorophenol in the finished beer. I think it would be an issue for partial boil brewers and anyone still using chlorine as a sanitizer.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

I wonder how much chlorine/chloramine would need to be in tap water for chlorophenols to present in the finished beer. I don't filter my water but have never picked up any chlorophenol in the finished beer. I think it would be an issue for partial boil brewers and anyone still using chlorine as a sanitizer.

the last time I noticed it was way back in my partial boil extract days, been filtering ever since

#40 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

IIRC, our water test was <1.5 ppm chlorine. I get chlorophenols if I don't treat with campden. I don't filter, though. I would for organics, if my water smelled swampy, but it's not very efficient for chloramine, and I hate extra equipment that I don't need. I'm lucky to have Quabin water.

Edited by Brauer, 31 July 2014 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users