#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

After some thought about this all and looking at the plumbing on this house adding a carbon block filter to the house plumbing and adding another spigot... not going to happen but I could rig up the filter just for my brewing... i.e. hose from outdoor spigot thru filter into HLT.  Gets SWMBO off my back about buying water (even at $0.37 per gallon... she can't understand it.  I tried comparing using crappy water for brewing to using duct tape and elmers glue for scrapbooking... LOL that one got me in a bigger hole).  She actually suggested getting a filter. 

Anyways, I ran off on a tangent there.  I was thinking about sending two samples of water in to be tested by Ward Labs. The first being non filtered hard water and the second being water filtered with the carbon block filter.  Should give me some good info to work with right? But now the cheap ass in me is kicking in.  Do I really need the homebrewers test or can I get away with just he household test? 

:1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Unless there's stuff in the homebrewer test that you specifically need, W-6 will give you all the info you need for brewing at a lower cost.  That's the one I always get.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Unless there's stuff in the homebrewer test that you specifically need, W-6 will give you all the info you need for brewing at a lower cost.  That's the one I always get.

IIRC he indicated he might have Iron, so I'd go for the W-5a test, and ship it myself 

#4 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

A carbon filter does not remove any of the ions that brewers are interested in. The two samples should come back with nearly identical results. Don't waste your money on two samples.  If you are concerned with high ionic content, you will need to use an RO process to remove ions.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

A carbon filter does not remove any of the ions that brewers are interested in. The two samples should come back with nearly identical results. Don't waste your money on two samples.  If you are concerned with high ionic content, you will need to use an RO process to remove ions.

true, I use it to remove possible sediment, and chlorine, lead , and potentially odorous components, cheap insurance for better brew

though my city water is very lightly chlorinated and is quite tasty, it come from the Spokane Rathdrum Aquifer

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

This is exactly the kind of advice / info I was looking for!  Thanks Martin!

true, I use it to remove possible sediment, and chlorine, lead , and potentially odorous components, cheap insurance for better brew

though my city water is very lightly chlorinated and is quite tasty, it come from the Spokane Rathdrum Aquifer

Well water here Mic.  Sediment doesn't seem to be an issue, at least to the eyeball test.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

Right. When I sent my water sample in, I sent it after it went through the filter because that's how I use it when I brew. But those filters won't change the numbers you see... they do not filter out calcium, magnesium, etc. Chlorine, organic flavor and particulate get caught in the filter.

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Right. When I sent my water sample in, I sent it after it went through the filter because that's how I use it when I brew. But those filters won't change the numbers you see... they do not filter out calcium, magnesium, etc. Chlorine, organic flavor and particulate get caught in the filter.

Ken, do me a favor and Post in bold type - When you hear of a filter that removes the Magnesium. Mine was a 26 last time it was checked.

#9 mabrungard

mabrungard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Ken, do me a favor and Post in bold type - When you hear of a filter that removes the Magnesium. Mine was a 26 last time it was checked.

There are filters that remove ions. I think its either brita or pur that make a filter with deionizing resins in them. They will actually produce low mineralization water if the flow rate is low enough. However for the typical activated carbon filter, it does not remove the ions of brewing interest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users