• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

:chug:

Indeed.

I want some

It's a good one. Too bad shipping is such a ball breaker now. Sucks to pay $25 to share a few beers.

#63 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

Well, this one's chilling in the chamber, 1gal drauflassen spinning on the plate at 52F. 88% efficiency. First time using saaz pellets on this recipe. They didn't seem quite as fragrant as leaf. We'll see how it affects the final batch.

Went back to acid malt on this one. I feel that all the beer I've brewed since switching to 88% lactic was a bit bland. No sciency proof on that other than my palate for the same recipes I've brewed bunches of times.

#64 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

For $25 I can make my own!  Hmmmm that;s got me thinking. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

#65 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

For $25 I can make my own!  Hmmmm that;s got me thinking. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I don't think you'd be disappointed. Cake of W34 would do it nicely.

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Well, this one's chilling in the chamber, 1gal drauflassen spinning on the plate at 52F. 88% efficiency. First time using saaz pellets on this recipe. They didn't seem quite as fragrant as leaf. We'll see how it affects the final batch.

Went back to acid malt on this one. I feel that all the beer I've brewed since switching to 88% lactic was a bit bland. No sciency proof on that other than my palate for the same recipes I've brewed bunches of times.

how much acid malt are you using?

#67 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

how much acid malt are you using?

4oz on this one. RO water, 3.5g mash 3.5g sparge CaCl2.

#68 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

4oz on this one. RO water, 3.5g mash 3.5g sparge CaCl2.

well I'm surprised you can tell the difference between acid malt and lactic acid.  that's not a crazy amount or anything.

#69 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

well I'm surprised you can tell the difference between acid malt and lactic acid.  that's not a crazy amount or anything.

Yeah, I dunno, my pH meter has been down awhile. I calculated all my recipes using acid malt and checked pH. Never checked when using 88% lactic. Could be a higher pH thing or acid malt adds a little sumpin/sumpin. Just a WAG. Def going back to acid malt and shelving the 88% tho.

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, I dunno, my pH meter has been down awhile. I calculated all my recipes using acid malt and checked pH. Never checked when using 88% lactic. Could be a higher pH thing or acid malt adds a little sumpin/sumpin. Just a WAG. Def going back to acid malt and shelving the 88% tho.

the pH being diff seems a lot more likely.  to the best of my knowledge acid malt is just malt that has been sprayed with lactic acid.  this would kind of make sense from a QC point of view b/c otherwise the pH adjusting properties might vary kind of wildly from batch to batch of malt.

#71 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

the pH being diff seems a lot more likely.  to the best of my knowledge acid malt is just malt that has been sprayed with lactic acid.  this would kind of make sense from a QC point of view b/c otherwise the pH adjusting properties might vary kind of wildly from batch to batch of malt.

I need to buy another meter but I haven't needed it with my recipes formulated with acid malt. Don't want to go back thru the process of figuring it out using 88% acid. Acid malt always worked well for me inputted into EZ water. Figured the 88% would follow suit but the beer quality hasnt been there since switching.

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:41 AM

I need to buy another meter but I haven't needed it with my recipes formulated with acid malt. Don't want to go back thru the process of figuring it out using 88% acid. Acid malt always worked well for me inputted into EZ water. Figured the 88% would follow suit but the beer quality hasnt been there since switching.

I've only done a couple batches after making the switch to lactic acid but I can't tell the difference.

#73 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

Well, this one's affirmation of the balls-rockingness of drauflassen. Pitched at 4PM yesterday. Within a few hours I had vodka pushed to the far side of my S-airlock. Active bubbling this morning 13hrs later.

Morty, was it you that said step-mashing would interfere with your overnight mashing? I stepped this one and mashed out at 170F for the overnight rest. Like the 3hr brewday.

Edited by chils, 21 December 2015 - 05:59 AM.

#74 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

Well, this one's affirmation of the balls-rockingness of drauflassen. Pitched at 4PM yesterday. Within a few hours I had vodka pushed to the far side of my S-airlock. Active bubbling this morning 13hrs later.

Morty, was it you that said step-mashing would interfere with your overnight mashing? I stepped this one and mashed out at 170F for the overnight rest. Like the 3hr brewday.

I'm not sure if I did.  I think step mashing would work okay with overnight mashing.  I have done a mash out before going to bed although I'm not sure I achieved 170F.  The main thing with step mashing for me is I would worry about the pH at the various stages and making sure I have them all figured out.

#75 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

I'm not sure if I did.  I think step mashing would work okay with overnight mashing.  I have done a mash out before going to bed although I'm not sure I achieved 170F.  The main thing with step mashing for me is I would worry about the pH at the various stages and making sure I have them all figured out.

I've figured pH before for the steps just changing the mash water amt in my water calculator then punching in more acid for the steps. I think it didn't need anything added until you started adding a bunch of water for the alpha rest. RO water is fairly easy though.

The only way I reached 170F for my mashout was to drain 2.5gals of wort, heat to boiling then pour back in. Still added a little boiling water to get it there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users