#21 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Kegged yet? I think this is on deck for this weekend. Looking for any suggestions or changes you might have? I don't have any wheat so I may have to drop that.

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

Still waiting  :( I have a bunch of stuff to keg. Finally cleaned and sanitized everything I needed so hopefully tonight.

#23 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Ok, definitely update with some tasting notes. Also I was just curious about the #1 of wheat in there. Were you just looking for some more mouthfeel from it? Or another purpose?

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Ok, definitely update with some tasting notes. Also I was just curious about the #1 of wheat in there. Were you just looking for some more mouthfeel from it? Or another purpose?

Just for texture. I'm hoping for something really velvety.

#25 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Gotcha. I'm trying to decide if its worth going out of my way to get some. I have everything else. I would think with lactose and oats and flaked barley it should be fairly velvety?

#26 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

I don't think it's needed. Somehow the sack of wheat malt I ordered came crushed. I'm spreading it around more than I usually would.

#27 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

FG 1.016. I was happy with that considering the lactose. Nice pie spice and cooked sugar aroma with a graham cracker crust malt flavor. So far so good, final results in a week when it's carbed up.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Nice! I am about to mash in on a similar version of this. Pumpkin is in the oven now.

#29 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

I served this beer at my club's Oktoberfest. There were 70 beers for about 250 people. This keg and my keg of fresh hop 100% red x beer both kicked. It was cool to see that even with so many choices, people kept going back for these beers. 

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

Remind me again on the flavor of Red X. Seems like its pretty munich-y? Is the 100% Red-X a malt bomb?

#31 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

I served this beer at my club's Oktoberfest. There were 70 beers for about 250 people. This keg and my keg of fresh hop 100% red x beer both kicked. It was cool to see that even with so many choices, people kept going back for these beers.

Cool. So what was your overall impression of it? I brewed a similar version. Just wondering if there would be anything you would change?

#32 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I enjoyed it. The spicing level was spot on. Noticeable but not overpowering. I was surprised that it wasn't creamier with all the stuff in there. It sill had a nice texture but I thought it would be fuller. 

I got a lot of positive feedback from both beer geek friends and non-beery/BMC drinkers. I'd definitely brew it again as is. Luckily I bottled up a sixer of 12's and a few bombers otherwise I wouldn't have had more than a few ounces of this beer.

#33 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2308 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm giving this a whirl tomorrow morning.  Picked up fresh spices to use, and just got done roasting the pumpkin in the oven.  You said you used 2 cans.. 2 small or big cans?  1 big can is 29 oz, and I think that's the same as 2 small ones.

#34 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

I'm giving this a whirl tomorrow morning.  Picked up fresh spices to use, and just got done roasting the pumpkin in the oven.  You said you used 2 cans.. 2 small or big cans?  1 big can is 29 oz, and I think that's the same as 2 small ones.

I used 2- 29 ounce cans. How did your brew go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users