#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I love the beer, I love the brewery, I love it out of the can or in the glass.I do have to challenge however the can's claim-"why do I recommend you drink it from the can? Quite simply to ensure a delightful, hop experience. The act of pouring it in a glass smells nice, but it releases the essential hop aromas that we have worked so hard to retain. If you MUST pour it in a glass, you may find that some of the hop resins have settled to the bottom- leave them in the can when pouring."I am not quite sure of the validity to this, and I am thinking it is for marketing the beer to be drank while displaying the can, as opposed to having a glass that may look the same as all the other beers. branding the name and experience. This seems to go against all other beliefs of pairing a big aromatic beer with the right glass to continuously release aroma. I am drinking one out of my tulip right now and am really enjoying it. Thoughts?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have never had one. That said, I would have the same questions you do. A large part of what you taste comes through the nose in any food or drink. Having that big hop aroma go right up your nose when you take a sip of a hop forward beer seems essential to me. But again, I've never had that beer.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

For the record my favorite heady topper cane out of a bottle and poured in a glass. I always wondered if the "drink from the can" was because heady used to be pretty ugly when poured out. It has gotten much better imo. I have had in in a glass and from the can and equally enjoyed them. My preference would be in a glass.

#4 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

drink some this weekend and drank straight from the can...I always do what cans tell me to

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

drink some this weekend and drank straight from the can...I always do what cans tell me to

Well then I also hope you weren't a D-Bag and that you recycled the can..... per their instructions  :)

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

Well then I also hope you weren't a D-Bag and that you recycled the can..... per their instructions  :)

of course, the can got rinsed out then put into the recycling basket we keep next to our kitchen sink

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

I've had that beer once.  I don't think it was fresh, because I didn't like it.   Your mileage may vary.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

The beer definitely should be drank fresh. I am lucky enough to have come across some recent deliveries of a traveling local.

#9 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14713 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

While the hop aroma is nice, the amount of gunk in there is mildly disturbing. 

I know they claim filtering removes flavor. I know they claim "hop resins" settle to the bottom. That's a load of BS. The beer I had was unfiltered and full of yeast - even far more so than a good Hefe or Wit. There was a half inch of crap at the bottom of the glass.

I've had other beers with massive hop aroma that were very clear (Lagunitas Sucks) comes to mind. 

It's been a while. Maybe they are getting better. In my mind, most beer should at least be reasonably clarified. While you probably are filtering out some good flavor, you are also filtering out yeast and other flavors that may not be as desirable.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

I know they claim filtering removes flavor. I know they claim "hop resins" settle to the bottom. That's a load of BS. The beer I had was unfiltered and full of yeast - even far more so than a good Hefe or Wit. There was a half inch of crap at the bottom of the glass.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

It seems to me that they have had less "gunk" in the beer over the last year.  The first cans I had were very bad.  This does bring up something that I have thought about lately.  Many of the "hyped" beers these days are ugly to me.  Is this a factor of just trying to get the beers out the door as fast as possible or a result of something else?  here is an example I put together for a friend I was having a discussion with.  All of these are commercial beers.  I do not have an issue getting my beer to clear in a short period of time so I am at a loss why these are so cloudy.

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DVW-XMEdpoo/U-oeKTkf68I/AAAAAAAAFF4/Q0jQp6IXn2s/w1077-h697-no/hazy%2Bbeer%2B.jpg

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

that's looks like what happens when I don't let a beer condition in the cold long enough (with no other clarifiers)

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

that's looks like what happens when I don't let a beer condition in the cold long enough (with no other clarifiers)

Here is the funny part.  One of the breweries in my picture is very close to me and I occasionally get growlers.  I left a 750ML growler in the fridge for a couple of week untouched and expected the beer to drop a bit clear.  Nope, just as cloudy as day 1.  I am very confused.  This brewery is rumored to use S-05 and that is not the best floculator but still.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Top left one looks like orange juice (from concentrate, of course).

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Here is the funny part.  One of the breweries in my picture is very close to me and I occasionally get growlers.  I left a 750ML growler in the fridge for a couple of week untouched and expected the beer to drop a bit clear.  Nope, just as cloudy as day 1.  I am very confused.  This brewery is rumored to use S-05 and that is not the best floculator but still.

maybe a pH issue

yes it indeed does

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

That is King Sue from Toppling Goliath

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I had a 3-Way IIPA from Fort George Brewing in Astoria OR on IPA day,  rates 98 I think, clear as a bell, hoppiest beer Iv'e had in  long time, from a 16 oz can.

Edited by miccullen, 12 August 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

That is King Sue from Toppling Goliath

sometimes I wonder if these uber high rated beers get a runaway copycat high rating

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I dont require my IPA or heavily hopped beers to be clear by any stretch but to have sludge or excessive yeast in it seems a bit suspect to me.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I dont require my IPA or heavily hopped beers to be clear by any stretch but to have sludge or excessive yeast in it seems a bit suspect to me.

ever had Mack and Jacks African Amber?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users