#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Anyone brew them? Or like them? A friend brought me back a bunch of Cascade and Chinook from Hop Head Farms in MI. I didn't have a plan for the hopping so I randomly tossed them in the kettle with the bulk going in at flame out. 

Posted Image

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

I haven't tried it enough times or with known good hops to know.  I've put in my own homegrown "wet" but I'm not sure how it would be if I tried it with professionally grown hops.  there was one beer I recall doing it with and it was alright but a little strange.  a lot of people liked it I guess (or they drank it without complaints).

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I plan to make one in a week or two when I harvest my hops. Chinook,cascade,golding and I think cents.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

The wort tasted like hop tea. Not bad but not exciting. Time will tell.

#5 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

mash hop with cascade every year.  The aromatics are unmatched.

Of course, I use CJ's hop-bursting technique for flavor.

This year, our version of hop-rod rye.

brewin on Aug 23,

Partigyle style!

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

brewin on Aug 23,

Partigyle style!

Will you post that recipe? I still have all the hops in my yard to play with.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

CWG: Did these hops come with a AA% number or no? I realize that's only part of the equation because the fresh hops have other considerations but at least you would have a feel for how to attack it. Never tried it nor do I rub my hands together in anticipation of trying it. I wouldn't mind trying someone's fresh/wet hop beer but that's about as far as I would go with it. I hope it comes out nicely!

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'd be tempted to try this again although since I tend to make 10 gal at a time now I hesitate slightly.  what do the experts say wet hops should bring to the beer?  I assume someone has written about this.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

brewin on Aug 23,

Partigyle style!

You may well be the only person I know to claim they get anything from mash hops.

what do the experts say wet hops should bring to the beer?

Chlorophyll

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Chlorophyll

that doesn't sound so good.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I tell you what, you better get those hops in the wort within hours at most of harvest.  You will start to get some funky and oxidized flavors very quickly if the hops aren't dried and cured or brewed with immediately.  We have done many brews like this at the pub, and the logistics are very difficult.  Personally, I would rather use the freshet pellets possible.  

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

I tell you what, you better get those hops in the wort within hours at most of harvest.  You will start to get some funky and oxidized flavors very quickly if the hops aren't dried and cured or brewed with immediately.  We have done many brews like this at the pub, and the logistics are very difficult.  Personally, I would rather use the freshet pellets possible.  

Ralph Olson from Hop Union has said that hops will start composting themselves within an hour after harvesting.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Fresh hops are fun to play with , i got a lot of Vegetable (?) taste to my brew . But, yes i used them within a couple of days of harvest. I would not do that test again.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ralph Olson from Hop Union has said that hops will start composting themselves within an hour after harvesting.

so what does that mean for those of us without an oast or food dehydrator?  it takes day for me to dry my hops out.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

so what does that mean for those of us without an oast or food dehydrator?  it takes day for me to dry my hops out.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It means that your hops won't be as good as they otherwise could be.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It means that your hops won't be as good as they otherwise could be.

that makes me so very sad.  there are all of these nice looking cones out there every year.  last year I didn't even bother harvesting.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

that makes me so very sad.  there are all of these nice looking cones out there every year.  last year I didn't even bother harvesting.

Well, it doesn't mean that your hops won't be good...it just means that they likely won't be as good as they could be.  IIRC, in the May/June 2014 issue of Zymurgy, Stan discusses this as well as other hop growing and harvesting tips.

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Well, it doesn't mean that your hops won't be good...it just means that they likely won't be as good as they could be.  IIRC, in the May/June 2014 issue of Zymurgy, Stan discusses this as well as other hop growing and harvesting tips.

I usually use a hot dry place and the thinnest layer of hops I can get away with

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

I usually use a hot dry place and the thinnest layer of hops I can get away with

I go back and forth between that method and using a food dehydrator.  After all these years, I still haven't decided the best way to do it.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I go back and forth between that method and using a food dehydrator.  After all these years, I still haven't decided the best way to do it.

IIRC the Noble hops in Europe are treated different than US hops or even UK hops.  Something about aging? I forget 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users