56 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

You may well be the only person I know to claim they get anything from mash hops.

I guess him and a few local brewers I know.  I tend to throw a couple ounces in the mash for my hoppier beers too.  Can I say for sure it makes a difference...nope.  Can I say for sure it does not make a difference ... nope. 

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:30 AM

I guess him and a few local brewers I know.  I tend to throw a couple ounces in the mash for my hoppier beers too.  Can I say for sure it makes a difference...nope.  Can I say for sure it does not make a difference ... nope. 

There was an interesting presentation at NHC comparing mash hopping vs FWH vs traditional 60 min boil. The beers three beers were analyzed at Founders' lab. FWIR, same quantity of the same hop in each batch resulted in 5 ibus for MH, 22 ibus for FWH, 20 ibus for the 60 min addition.

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

There was an interesting presentation at NHC comparing mash hopping vs FWH vs traditional 60 min boil. The beers three beers were analyzed at Founders' lab. FWIR, same quantity of the same hop in each batch resulted in 5 ibus for MH, 22 ibus for FWH, 20 ibus for the 60 min addition.

Good data right there.  I still think that each can lend more to the beer than just IBU's but I have no evidence or proof of it.

#24 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

Something I didn't account for in the brewing process with wet hops is that they are wet!  :D My boil off rate was nowhere near what I expected.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

Something I didn't account for in the brewing process with wet hops is that they are wet!  :D My boil off rate was nowhere near what I expected.

I learned that issue the first few wet hop beers I did.  My post boil volume was always more than I expected.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

I learned that issue the first few wet hop beers I did.  My post boil volume was always more than I expected.

so you've done more than a couple?  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on wet hops.  I haven't done enough and/or recently enough to have formed a confident opinion on it.

some things I'm interested in:

how did you use them?  MH, FWH, bittering, late boil, hop stand, dry hopping?  is there a preferred use for wet hops?

what kind of flavors did the hops impart versus using them dried out?

#27 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Good data right there.  I still think that each can lend more to the beer than just IBU's but I have no evidence or proof of it.

I would have liked to try all three beers but I guess the presenters are only allowed to pour 2 beers. We had the FWH and 60 minute beers. The FWH had a rounder and less harsh bitterness but I didn't prefer it. The presenter said there was hop character besides bitterness in the MH beer.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:49 AM

have any of you guys tried cool smoking some wet hops?  it would speed up the dry process and maybe you'd get a little bit of smoke.  holding the temp could be tricky though.

right now I dry my hops in a setup I made.  I made stackable frames of wood with screens on each level so I can do a tower of hops.  I put this in a box that is open at the bottom and lifted off the ground with some 2x4s.  then I put a small fan that fits into a small hole in the top to draw air up through the whole thing.

If I could figure out a cheap way to make a tiny smoker I could possibly pipe the output into my cardboard box and get smoke and a little bit of heat in there.

#29 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

have any of you guys tried cool smoking some wet hops?  it would speed up the dry process and maybe you'd get a little bit of smoke.  holding the temp could be tricky though.

right now I dry my hops in a setup I made.  I made stackable frames of wood with screens on each level so I can do a tower of hops.  I put this in a box that is open at the bottom and lifted off the ground with some 2x4s.  then I put a small fan that fits into a small hole in the top to draw air up through the whole thing.

If I could figure out a cheap way to make a tiny smoker I could possibly pipe the output into my cardboard box and get smoke and a little bit of heat in there.

How do you like using your home grown hops? A few guys in my club have brought in beers made with home grown hops. The flavor is never what you would expect. IR a cascade beer that had this pronounced under ripe honeydew melon flavor. Not bad but not good.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:02 AM

How do you like using your home grown hops? A few guys in my club have brought in beers made with home grown hops. The flavor is never what you would expect. IR a cascade beer that had this pronounced under ripe honeydew melon flavor. Not bad but not good.

my cascades are not super citrusy.  they are more floral.  i don't think they impart as much hoppy goodness as proffesionally handled hops.  I think my main weakness is the drying process taking 2-3 days versus the much faster time that's likely acheived with an oast.  they do look nice growing in the yard though so there's that.  I also sometimes throw one right off the bine into my glass while I'm having an IPA.

#31 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I did a few side by side tests with mash hops, and I can say unequivocally (in my cases) it did not make any difference. 

#32 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have a new twist on a fresh hopped beer. I harvested my Chinook, Columbus and Newport crop on Saturday. I'm drying the cones on some screens in my garage. Later that evening I walked out there with a beer in hand and all of the hop aroma in the air enhanced the IPA I was drinking.

I'm going to write to glade to see if they will make a hop scented air freshener!

#33 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

I have a new twist on a fresh hopped beer. I harvested my Chinook, Columbus and Newport crop on Saturday. I'm drying the cones on some screens in my garage. Later that evening I walked out there with a beer in hand and all of the hop aroma in the air enhanced the IPA I was drinking.

I'm going to write to glade to see if they will make a hop scented air freshener!

i bet there are hop scented candles.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

i bet there are hop scented candles.

httpss://www.etsy.com/listing/163153933/hop-scented-candles

#35 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Just in time for my upcoming birthday

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just in time for my upcoming birthday

Hoppy Birthday day to you ...

#37 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Stout_fan, on 16 Aug 2014 - 9:12 PM, said:Posted Image

mash hop with cascade every year.  The aromatics are unmatched.

Of course, I use CJ's hop-bursting technique for flavor.

This year, our version of hop-rod rye.

brewin on Aug 23,

Partigyle style!

You may well be the only person I know to claim they get anything from mash hops.

TheGuv, on 17 Aug 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:Posted Image

what do the experts say wet hops should bring to the beer?

Chlorophyll

https://traffic.libs...4hoppingexp.mp3

https://traffic.libs...oppingexp02.mp3

Listen, learn, read on...

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

do either of those podcasts talk about wet hops?  it seems like they are about MH, FWH and traditional hopping.

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Posted Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Stout_fan, on 16 Aug 2014 - 9:12 PM, said:Posted Image

TheGuv, on 17 Aug 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:Posted Image

Chlorophyll

https://traffic.libs...4hoppingexp.mp3

https://traffic.libs...oppingexp02.mp3

Listen, learn, read on...

Thanks, but I have done plenty of my own experiments.  I prefer my own experience.

#40 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

do either of those podcasts talk about wet hops?  it seems like they are about MH, FWH and traditional hopping.

Negative, he used pellets (I think) for all.  We use wet hops because I'm to darned lazy to dry 13 pounds of them and then just re-hydrate again.

My generosity of time has its limits.

Seriously, the aroma of MH stands out considerably from all three.  He had the FWH and traditional at the NHBC.

IIRC measured IBU's if considering traditional as nominal. FWH 110%, MH 20%.

I suggested (what I thought was obvious) that now having the ability to normalize IBU yield, re-brew with the inverse, to obtain consistent IBU's across all three brews and present it again to Basic Brewing Radio.

As they say, stay tuned to this station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users