Photo
- - - - -

The obligatory "Who's Brewing This Weekend" thread...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

I'm brewing a Red on Sunday, I'm going all 10G batches now and this is the starting one.

Edited by brewman, 23 August 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Water is filtered, grains have been measured out and sent through the mill. Brewing will commence around 3pm - 4pm this afternoon. Cheers Beerheads.

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Oatmeal Brown Ale tomorrow night to be ready for college football season! It's only going to be 99° here! Perfect brewing weather... :covreyes:11.5 lbs 2-Row1 lb Flaked Oats12 ounces Victory Malt12 ounces Crystal 8012 ounces Chocolate4 ounces Roasted Barley.85 oz Northern Brewer (60 mins)1 oz Willamette (15 mins)1 oz US Goldings (5 mins)WYeast 1272 American Ale IIOG: 1.057 FG: 1.014 SRM: 26 IBU: 37 ABV: 5.5

I really like the look of that recipe. Looks like a full flavored and delicious ale.

#24 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

can I trouble you for a link to your BVIP?

Would this be the correct recipe?

https://www.brew365....illa_porter.php

#25 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I just got home from brewing a strawberry cream ale as a guest brewer at a local brewpub. Tomorrow AM I will be brewing a Black Rye IPA that I posted in the recipe section.

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial PorterA ProMash Recipe ReportRecipe Specifics----------------Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00Total Grain (Lbs): 17.75Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.58Anticipated SRM: 45.4Anticipated IBU: 31.8Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %Wort Boil Time: 70 MinutesPre-Boil Amounts----------------Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per HourPre-Boil Wort Size: 6.75 GalPre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.52 PlatoGrain/Extract/Sugar% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM-----------------------------------------------------------------------------62.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 28.5 1.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 702.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 4014.1 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt (Durst) Germany 1.037 105.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 1207.0 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.HopsAmount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time-----------------------------------------------------------------------------0.65 oz. Magnum-Domestic Whole 15.00 29.2 60 min.0.40 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 2.6 10 min.ExtrasAmount Name Type Time--------------------------------------------------------------------------0.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)Yeast-----Wy1450, Wy1056Mash Schedule-------------Mash Name:Total Grain Lbs: 17.75Total Water Qts: 23.00 - Before Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 5.75 - Before Additional InfusionsTun Thermal Mass: 0.13Grain Temp: 65.00 FStep Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse InfuseStep Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio---------------------------------------------------------------------------------sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30Total Water Qts: 23.00 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Water Gal: 5.75 - After Additional InfusionsTotal Mash Volume Gal: 7.17 - After Additional InfusionsAll temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.All infusion amounts are in Quarts.All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.When fermentation is complete, split 2 vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape all the seeds and "gunk" from them and add it to the fermenter. Chop the beans into 2-3 in. long pieces and add them, too. Leave in secondary 10-14 days, then taste. You want the vanilla to be a bit on the strong side since it will fade. If the vanilla flavor is adequate, rack to bottling bucket or keg and add approximately 375 ml. of Jim Beam Black bourbon. You don't need to use an expensive bourbon, and you don't want to add a lot. The beer shouldn't scream "BOURBON!" at you. You should have an integrated flavor of the chocolatey porter, vanilla, and bourbon. This beer does not benefit from extended aging. I prefer it within a few months of brewing. The FG should be in the mid-high 20s, so don't worry about trying to get it lower.quote name="miccullen" post="1812755" timestamp="1408809259"]can I trouble you for a link to your BVIP?[/quote]

#27 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

can I trouble you for a link to your BVIP?

No trouble...here ya go!  Any tine you;re looking for one of my recipes, always check the AHA recipe wiki.

https://wiki.homebre...aImperialPorter

Would this be the correct recipe?

https://www.brew365....illa_porter.php

Close, but like I said to Mic, always look in the AHA recipe wiki for my recipes.  That way you can be sure I posted them myself and that they're accurate.  Not to mention there are lots of other really great recipes there...

https://wiki.homebre...association.org

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Jazzed up American Wheat/Ale with some Chocolate Wheat to fool the masses.  Should be a nice Indian Summer beer.

Last weekend was an last minute Sweet Potato beer.  Nice to know I can have a starter ready in 24 hours. Free State is having a contest, so csbosox and I collaborated.  Should be interesting, and I don't really like sweet potatoes.  But have had one made in southern Missouri that I liked.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

No trouble...here ya go!  Any tine you;re looking for one of my recipes, always check the AHA recipe wiki.

Close, but like I said to Mic, always look in the AHA recipe wiki for my recipes.  That way you can be sure I posted them myself and that they're accurate.  Not to mention there are lots of other really great recipes there...

thanks all, wanted to make sure I had the genuine original, to adapt to my system, thanks

#30 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

Cream of 3 crops ale

#6 2 row

#1 each of corm meal and rice pre cooked in the rice cooker

90 min mash at 152

2 oz of  cascade (home grown)

05 yeast

I want to try out my new to me fermentation fridge controlled by a re programed STC 1000.

Brewing this as a test beer for my Brother.Him and all of his BMC buddies are going to be riding out in the desert this fall and I want to brew a beer they all will like.

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I brewed the IIPA today. Everything went ok. Just a minute ago I went to put the blow off tube on the bucket lid and the ####ing grommet popped out and fell in the beer. I'm beside myself right now. It was sanitized except the outside. If my beer gets ####ed up I'm gonna be so ####ing mad. It was hotter than balls today while I brewed at my friends house. My only hope is that the amount of hops isn't conducive for spoilage and the yeast completely dries out the beer. Stupid little things like this seem to bite me too often. 

#32 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

To top things off, on the way home from my parents I had to stop and grab some bottle beers from the FIL's for competition. TPW was driving and she took a turn tp hard, knocked over the beer and broke one of the bottles. I had to clean it up, drive back and get another bottle. I'm not having a good night.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:01 AM

No trouble...here ya go! Any tine you;re looking for one of my recipes, always check the AHA recipe wiki.https://wiki.homebre...aImperialPorterClose, but like I said to Mic, always look in the AHA recipe wiki for my recipes. That way you can be sure I posted them myself and that they're accurate. Not to mention there are lots of other really great recipes there...https://wiki.homebre...association.org

Denny, do you have a preferred maltster for your brown malt? Figured at that percentage it might matter.

#34 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

Denny, do you have a preferred maltster for your brown malt? Figured at that percentage it might matter.

good question

#35 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

good question

Cross fingers, hopes Denny says Crisp. I just picked some up to brew this beer in the next month or so.

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Cross fingers, hopes Denny says Crisp. I just picked some up to brew this beer in the next month or so.

my local only has Briess Carabrown

#37 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

my local only has Briess Carabrown

Well I guess the reason I picked Crisp is because the AHA recipe link above says the Brown malt is from Great Britain so I guessed Crisp. I actually almost asked this same question but just forgot.

#38 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Did my brewin on Thursday and brewed a slightly smaller variation of this as well. Subbed target for EKG since thats what i had and came in at 1.075. Thinking I might oak instead of vanilla and bourbon this time around and see how that works out.

Also brewed a quad

16lbs 2 row

1lb Carmel Munich

1lb L90 Liquid candy sugar

1lb L120 Liquid candy sugar

23 IBUs of Magnum

Trappist high gravity yeast

OG: 1.089 

Winter beer supply, check. 

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

Denny, do you have a preferred maltster for your brown malt in your BVIP? Figured at that percentage it might matter.

Bump for Denny. Looks like he's been here and gone without seeing this.

I'm going to guess Crisp or Fawcett both are rated around the 70L his recipe indicates.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Made my King of Clubs Amber Ale yesterday. Mt. Hood to bitter, a bunch of Santiam late in the boil. I hope all of you Beerheads enjoy your weekend and your brewing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users