#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I've had a rough go of getting my kegs to carbonate properly.  I've tried both priming sugar and force carbonation.  This last round, here is what I did.

I went on-line and found the chart, and for my volume that I wanted and temp (43 degrees), it said to set my keg at around 13 psi.  I did that and left it for at least a week.  Minimal carbonation and no head.  So I ramped it up to about 25-30 for about 40 hours.  Now it has a head, but the body is still minimally carbonated.  There are no bubbles.  This is a pilsner style.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

I know it's not rocket science.  Am hoping you guys can set me on a correct path to Beer-vana!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Weird. I get my kegs cold (mid-to-hi 30s) and go 25-30 psi for 48 hours total. I pretty much never have an issue. I did hear about a problem once where someone had a problem getting their keg to force carb. It was very mysterious. Then it happened to me and I couldn't believe it. Some have suggested that oils can form on the top of the beer creating a layer that the carb cannot penetrate. The suggestion was to simply invert the keg for a second and then put it back upright and continue carbing until it's good. I'm not saying that this is what's happening with your beer... just a mysterious thing that has happened. I think everyone requires time to get used to their system so maybe try the 25-30psi for 48 hour method on an upcoming keg and see what happens. Also... did you just start kegging recently? Are you a keg newbie? If so, I didn't know.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

I've had a rough go of getting my kegs to carbonate properly.  I've tried both priming sugar and force carbonation.  This last round, here is what I did.

I went on-line and found the chart, and for my volume that I wanted and temp (43 degrees), it said to set my keg at around 13 psi.  I did that and left it for at least a week.  Minimal carbonation and no head.  So I ramped it up to about 25-30 for about 40 hours.  Now it has a head, but the body is still minimally carbonated.  There are no bubbles.  This is a pilsner style.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

I know it's not rocket science.  Am hoping you guys can set me on a correct path to Beer-vana!

I'd put my money on a leak in the keg lid

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Easy to troubleshoot. Fill a spray bottle with Starsan solution and hit all of the connections with the spray... if there's a leak, it should bubble up.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I have one lid that requires you to hit it with 30 psi to seat the lid properly.  It's weird but it works.  once it's seated I can turn the pressure down.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

I have one lid that requires you to hit it with 30 psi to seat the lid properly.  It's weird but it works.  once it's seated I can turn the pressure down.

yup, I have one that takes about 20

edit

deerslayer, you are using keg lube on all the rubber, right?

Edited by miccullen, 22 August 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

When I fill a keg with room-temp beer and put the hatch in place, I hit it with my carbing tank which is set to 25-30psi. Just enough to create pressure and seal the hatch and then I take it off until the beer is cold and then I start carbing it for the 48 hours. If the tank was just set to 10-12psi and there was a leaky seal/gasket... I could see the pressure not being high enough to seal everything right.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

To answer a few of the questions:

1.  Yes, I use keg lube on the gaskets.

2.  No, I didn't notice any leaks.  I know it takes about 20 to 30 to seat the lid.  I will however check it.  That being said, if there was a leak, I'd expect I'd be out of gas by now.

3.  I'll give the "upside down" method a quick shot... either that or put the gas in on the dip-tube. for a bit.

4.  I've had kegs since probably 2008, and this is a recent issue for me since I've moved.  I know I haven't been actively brewing, but its getting me frustrated because this beer will benefit from the carbonation.  Again, its not that its flat... it's just not as carbonated as it should be.

Will report back later.  Any other thoughts you guys might have in light of what I've reported would be appreciated.

FWIW, I used to keep a keg of water carbonated, but it's hard to overcarbonate water.  Was always nice and sparkling with bubbles.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

The joys of working from home allowed me to go down to the basement and put the gas on the dip tube and bleed off some of the gas to get some bubbles.  Perhaps I should invest in a lid with a carobonation stone.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Are you sure that the beer is as cold as you say? Cold beer carbs faster than warm beer and I don't carb any beer that's not COLD COLD.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Are you sure that the beer is as cold as you say? Cold beer carbs faster than warm beer and I don't carb any beer that's not COLD COLD.

Good question.  I'll take the temp of the fridge again, but even if it was 48, at the pressure I had it set to, I would have expected more.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Good question.  I'll take the temp of the fridge again, but even if it was 48, at the pressure I had it set to, I would have expected more.

Yeah, agreed... it would eventually carb even if the beer was not as cold as originally thought. Keep us posted and I guarantee SOMEONE will know what's up.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'd start by determining your regulator and hoses are leak proof.  Do the same for your kegs.  And use food grade lube and lather it on the big ring like mayo on a dagwood.  I used to try and fuss with quick carbing but now allow for enough time for the C02 to do its job on its own.  Might take a little longer but there's no guess work with psi or time.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

Are you sure it's not carbed? Is your serving pressure and line length correct for the carbonation level? What kind of head space is there in the keg? If it's too full you won't get much carbonation because there isn't enough surface area to absorb the CO2. Try carbonating through the liquid post. That bubble the CO2 into solution and so long as there's a seal, it will carb.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

I've heard of going through the out post but never tried it.  In your opinion would that speed things up in general?

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

I've heard of going through the out post but never tried it.  In your opinion would that speed things up in general?

it should

I've never done it for fear of getting a QD stuck

#17 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Are you sure it's not carbed? Is your serving pressure and line length correct for the carbonation level? What kind of head space is there in the keg? If it's too full you won't get much carbonation because there isn't enough surface area to absorb the CO2. Try carbonating through the liquid post. That bubble the CO2 into solution and so long as there's a seal, it will carb.

I would say it was just undercarbed.  No bubbles at all, except for the head.  

It is a 2 tap tower, so the lines came assembled and are not very long.  Fairly standard.  I've had success with this setup before.

I was less than 5 gallons going into the keg.  I know this because before I pitched the starter, my fermenter was at 4.5 gallons.  When it got transfered to the keg, it was below the line where the keg goes straight.

A couple of hours ago, I did switch to the liquid post.  I've certainly done this in the past, and probably should have done it right off the bat.  I guess I haven't brewed enough lately that I forgot.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

As said... I've done it before.  I just forgot that it was an option here.  Yes, it helps get gas into solution, rather than relying only on the headspace.

I'm seriously considering getting a carbonation stone.  They are on Amazon for less than $2.00 for a 0.5 micron stone.  Has anyone hooked these up to the gas in post before?

it should

I've never done it for fear of getting a QD stuck

Never been an issue for me before.  But it's impossible to go the other way.  Your liquid out QD won't fit on your gas post.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

As said... I've done it before.  I just forgot that it was an option here.  Yes, it helps get gas into solution, rather than relying only on the headspace.

I'm seriously considering getting a carbonation stone.  They are on Amazon for less than $2.00 for a 0.5 micron stone.  Has anyone hooked these up to the gas in post before?

Never been an issue for me before.  But it's impossible to go the other way.  Your liquid out QD won't fit on your gas post.

that's the one!

ohh they'll go on, but they sometimes don't come back off

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

that's the one!

ohh they'll go on, but they sometimes don't come back off

I've got a dedicated black QD hooked to the CO2 manifold.  I've used it for carbing through the dip tube in the past but don't much anymore.  It's really nice for flooding a keg with CO2 before filling it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users