#21 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I've got a dedicated black QD hooked to the CO2 manifold.  I've used it for carbing through the dip tube in the past but don't much anymore.  It's really nice for flooding a keg with CO2 before filling it.

was thinking of doing this, just for that purpose :hmm:

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Interesting...

I have two tanks, but only one gets used at a time.  Maybe I should consider getting a single manifold for the second and have the black QD on that one.  Carb it outside of the serving fridge (or rather in the temp controlled chest freezer) and then move it to the keggerator when it is ready.

#23 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Interesting...I have two tanks, but only one gets used at a time. Maybe I should consider getting a single manifold for the second and have the black QD on that one. Carb it outside of the serving fridge (or rather in the temp controlled chest freezer) and then move it to the keggerator when it is ready.

This is what I do.

#24 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Interesting...

I have two tanks, but only one gets used at a time.  Maybe I should consider getting a single manifold for the second and have the black QD on that one.  Carb it outside of the serving fridge (or rather in the temp controlled chest freezer) and then move it to the keggerator when it is ready.

I jumped in with both feet a while back.  Dedicated temp controlled freezer with a DIY manifold.  For cold storage and carbing only - no beer lines.  If I'm careful I can move a keg and tap it immediately.  Sucker holds 6 kegs.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Years ago I tried the method where you connected the gas to the OUT side. I can't remember what the benefit was supposed to be. I remember someone saying "the carb comes up from the bottom and through the full column of beer". Okay. But what is the benefit? I do remember the QD being snug and I felt like I was ripping apart the o-ring on the OUT post trying to get the QD off. The process did work and the beer was carbed but I eventually stopped doing it and haven't done it since. That may have been 10 years ago.

#26 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Years ago I tried the method where you connected the gas to the OUT side. I can't remember what the benefit was supposed to be. I remember someone saying "the carb comes up from the bottom and through the full column of beer". Okay. But what is the benefit? I do remember the QD being snug and I felt like I was ripping apart the o-ring on the OUT post trying to get the QD off. The process did work and the beer was carbed but I eventually stopped doing it and haven't done it since. That may have been 10 years ago.

I messed with this about 8 - 9 years ago.  It does carb a bit faster.  Not much IME though.  And it can stir up sediment.  I just don't bother anymore.

#27 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

just get the flare nut QD's and you can change a QD in 10 seconds and not have to worry about getting the gas qd stuck on the liquid post. 

#28 JMcG

JMcG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

If you go through the out post be sure to have a functioning check valve to keep beer out of your manifold/regulator.

Used to carb this way but it really doesn't seem to make a diff in the beer and it was a mess when the check valve failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users