#1 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

So I went ahead and did a Bochet Mead.  Uncharacteristically, I didnt do very much measuring or calculating before hand, and I just eyeballed it.  Well, I knew something was not right when my refractometer didnt even register the index.  So I went to the hydrometer, and it read just a bit under 1.160. Yikes.

I pitched my 71B and let it rip.  I even did a staggered nutrient addition.  It finished, and I let it sit a couple of weeks.  Yesterday I measured the gravity with the same hydrometer, and it is now ~1.084. So it is at about 10% ABV.  Believe it or not, it tasted sweet for sure, but not as idiotically sweet as you might think for that gravity.  Tasted good. 

Now I am wondering what to do.  Get another pitch of yeast going and hit it with that, dilute some, a little of both.  It's too sweet where it is.

#2 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

I guess the question is what to do with it?  I know taste is a guide, and it is still sweet.  Should I get a starter of 71B rocking and try to have it do more?  Superyeast?  etc.

#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

If you are convinced it's stuck, try distiller's yeast.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

What's the question?For what it's worth, I'm not entirely convinced that specific gravity measurements are accurate in burnt honey mead. I also got funky readings on mine.

SG is dissolved sugar in a solution, so I am not sure what about a bochet would change that.

If you are convinced it's stuck, try distiller's yeast.

I would advise against that.  Distiller's yeast makes some really horrific flavors and aromas.  Champagne yeast should be about to chomp through down to like 18% ABV or maybe a bit more and much more cleanly. 

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

I thought about champagne, but I usually shy away from it from my cider days of making bone dry cider, but in this instance, that just might be the ticket.

#6 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

I would advise against that.  Distiller's yeast makes some really horrific flavors and aromas.  Champagne yeast should be about to chomp through down to like 18% ABV or maybe a bit more and much more cleanly. 

Commonly used to make Cruz's version of apple butter cyser without ill effect.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Interesting. Everything I have ever had using it was not so. Not saying I don't believe you though

#8 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

https://www.skotrat..../recipes/5.html

Guy's apparently dead now, and based on High Test's research, it appears he was not the original author, but made minor additions to the base recipe.  Nonetheless, the original called for distiller's yeast.  May be worth noting the maturation times are in the 3-10 year range.

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Sooooo, I have decided it is just too sweet as is, so I hit it with a pack of Red Star Premier Cuvee last night.  Just rehydrated and threw it in.  We shall see. 

If that doesnt do anything, I guess it will be on to distillers yeast.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

So the packet of Premier Cuvee did..........noting.  Nada.  Might as well have flushed it down the toilet.

I do wonder if I should have put a little honey/nutrient in there and let it start fermenting for a couple of hours.

I guess I may try some of that distillers yeast next.  This mead will be utterly irreproducible no matter what happens.  lol

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

So the packet of Premier Cuvee did..........noting.  Nada.  Might as well have flushed it down the toilet.

I do wonder if I should have put a little honey/nutrient in there and let it start fermenting for a couple of hours.

I guess I may try some of that distillers yeast next.  This mead will be utterly irreproducible no matter what happens.  lol

What is the gravity currently?

#12 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

Based on the numbers posted above, you are well beyond the sugar depletion point for nutrient additions.  What about making a batch of dry mead and blending?

#13 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

What is the gravity currently?

Low to mid 1.080s

Based on the numbers posted above, you are well beyond the sugar depletion point for nutrient additions.  What about making a batch of dry mead and blending?

That's an idea.  I kinda hate chasing things down the rabbit hole with good money, but that might be the answer.

#14 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

I'm going necromancer on this thread.

Has anyone used a pressure cooker to caramelize the honey? I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of 15PSI for 90 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users