#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has used this Kolsch malt https://www.northern...olsch-malt.htmlI have 10 pounds with the original plan to make a (wait for it...) Kolsch. My taste has changed away from that design and I'm looking for an alternative. I do not lager but can comfortably ferment around 65.Maybe something with a little color/crystal and maltier character? Or can I get away with heading in a Belgian direction? Just curious b/c the write up at NB says it offers a very German flavor.Thoughts?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

How about using it to make a Belgian blonde?  Here is som information for Redemption form Russian River, maybe this will be something you like?  I would try replacing the 2 row with the Kolsch malt.

From the RR website

OG - 1.048

ABV - 4.8%

Color - Blonde

Bitterness - Mild

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]This beer was inspired by the Belgian Single or Blonde Ales. It has a fruity, banana bouquet with a spicy, mild finish.[/font]

Here is the recipe I was playing around with.  The percentages came from Russian River.  The numbers at the end were the amounts I was planning on using.

91% 2 row 10#3%t acidulated 6oz3%wheat malt 6oz3 % vienna malt 6ozBittered with Styrian GoldingFinished with SteringOG 1.052TG 1.012Abbey ale yeast white labs WLP530

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

It will work in any beer you would use pilsner malt. I've never tried Kolsch malt, but I suspect unless you live in Cologne Germany and drink fresh kolsch from a brewer that uses kolsch specific malt, you couldn't tell the difference between Kolsch and Pilsner malts.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 26 August 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

That's a nice recipe, what do you think the acid malt is offering tart? I was leaning towards a blonde so good call. Was also thinking WLP500 for a more fruity profile but never used it.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

That's a nice recipe, what do you think the acid malt is offering tart? I was leaning towards a blonde so good call. Was also thinking WLP500 for a more fruity profile but never used it.

The acid malt won't make it tart. It will just adjust the PH lower so you don't extract tannin.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

It will work in any beer you would use pilsner malt. I've never tried Kolsch malt, but I suspect unless you live in Cologne Germany and drink fresh kolsch from a brewer that uses kolsch specific malt, you couldn't tell the difference between Kolsch and Pilsner malts.

Yes, that's my main concern.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

You can skip the acid malt if you want, I wanted it in there because this beer was going to be split with WLP530 and some sour bugs so I wanted to give it some help.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

Got it. I'm leaning for a second (modified) batch of the Spencer from BYO. The first round was 'good.' But good enough to work on it.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Kolsch malt is twice as dark as pils (4.5 vs 2.0) so there should be a big difference the two. I seem to recall a thread where someone (Ken??) made an all kolsch malt beer and it wasn't close to a kolsch. 

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Kolsch malt is twice as dark as pils (4.5 vs 2.0) so there should be a big difference the two. I seem to recall a thread where someone (Ken??) made an all kolsch malt beer and it wasn't close to a kolsch. 

https://www.brews-br...lsch/?p=1752852

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Damn, that's in Maris Otter territory. Maybe it's not a malt to be used as 100%. I use Munich in my Kolsch to add complexity. Could be a lighter substitute for that.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yep. The Kolsch I made with mostly pils was much better than the one made with all Kolsch malt. I came away from that thinking that if I used kolsch malt again, it would be something like 25% or less of a kolsch grain bill.

#13 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1961 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

Yep. The Kolsch I made with mostly pils was much better than the one made with all Kolsch malt. I came away from that thinking that if I used kolsch malt again, it would be something like 25% or less of a kolsch grain bill.

Also my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users