#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

So my normal carbing procedure is 30psi for 48 hrs and works very well, but I have a little situation. I'm going to be kegging a couple beers tonight that I brewed for some friends wedding Sat night. Normally that would not be a problem and would be carbed in time. But I will be going on a 10hr car ride to get there. I plan on keeping them as cold as I can upright in a tub of ice. But I'm not sure how to handle the carbing situation. I'm assuming the ride and the bouncing around is greatly going to help it absorb the co2, and I dont want to over carb it. So I'm trying to figure out what psi to set it to? It would also be a bonus if it was carbed by the time I get there so we could enjoy some pints Fri night as well. So how would you guys handle it?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:11 AM

Once you get there how long will teh kegs have to settle and equalize before tapping?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

Once you get there how long will teh kegs have to settle and equalize before tapping?

yeah - important factor.  they'll need to get back down to serving temp for a little while if you want things to sort of equalize.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

You could certainly slightly undercarb them if you think the extra bouncing would cause a problem. Would you have a CO2 tank with you to serve the beer? If so, you could always slightly undercarb (30 psi for 40 hours? Grabbing at straws) and then hit them again for an hour each before serving or whatever. I occasionally carb a beer for less time (like an English Ale, etc) and 40 hours is noticeably less-carbed than 48. Good luck and have fun. Nice of you to brew for the wedding Matt.

#5 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

I would carb as you usually do (30 psi), then vent all CO2 before you load into the car.  For the car ride, I would set the pressure at your desired final carbonation level.  Keep it cold and all that bouncing on the drive should have you really close.

You can always do a quick high pressure push and shake when you arrive if undercarbed.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

For the wedding they will settle for at least 24 hours. But I know my budding will want to get into them sooner. We are staying at the house where the wedding will take place, so he is there now with kegerator waiting.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

I like tapper's suggestions. 

For the wedding they will settle for at least 24 hours. But I know my budding will want to get into them sooner. We are staying at the house where the wedding will take place, so he is there now with kegerator waiting.

That is good they will have some time to settle.  The are bound to get a big cloudy from the ride.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:08 AM

You could certainly slightly undercarb them if you think the extra bouncing would cause a problem. Would you have a CO2 tank with you to serve the beer? If so, you could always slightly undercarb (30 psi for 40 hours? Grabbing at straws) and then hit them again for an hour each before serving or whatever. I occasionally carb a beer for less time (like an English Ale, etc) and 40 hours is noticeably less-carbed than 48. Good luck and have fun. Nice of you to brew for the wedding Matt.

Yeah of course I will have a co2 tank to serve. I will have one with me for the drive as well. The thing is I don't have a long period of time that they will be sitting undisturbed. They are still in carboys now and I will keg tonight probably around 6pm. Then I am getting on the road around 3am. After a 10hr drive with a few stops I will arrive early afternoon. After that I would like them to sit still as much as possible to settle. The ideal thing is that they be fairly close to carbed when I get there. I wonder if I leave them at 30 psi the whole ride they would be overcarbed?

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

I like tapper's suggestions. 

I'm not sure what the point of dropping the pressure in the headspace is.  It seems like he'll need the car ride to fully carbonate - especially if the beer is a littler warmer during that period.  the bouncing around could help more CO2 get into the beer but it's a pretty small headspace.

this is all assuming that the CO2 tank isn't hooked up for the car ride.  I probably wouldn't want to risk that.

Yeah of course I will have a co2 tank to serve. I will have one with me for the drive as well. The thing is I don't have a long period of time that they will be sitting undisturbed. They are still in carboys now and I will keg tonight probably around 6pm. Then I am getting on the road around 3am. After a 10hr drive with a few stops I will arrive early afternoon. After that I would like them to sit still as much as possible to settle. The ideal thing is that they be fairly close to carbed when I get there. I wonder if I leave them at 30 psi the whole ride they would be overcarbed?

not if you disconnect the CO2 tank.

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

I would carb as you usually do (30 psi), then vent all CO2 before you load into the car. For the car ride, I would set the pressure at your desired final carbonation level. Keep it cold and all that bouncing on the drive should have you really close.You can always do a quick high pressure push and shake when you arrive if undercarbed.

If you mean carb as usuall at 30 psi for 48 hrs I don't have the time for that.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

I'm not sure what the point of dropping the pressure in the headspace is. It seems like he'll need the car ride to fully carbonate - especially if the beer is a littler warmer during that period. the bouncing around could help more CO2 get into the beer but it's a pretty small headspace.this is all assuming that the CO2 tank isn't hooked up for the car ride. I probably wouldn't want to risk that.not if you disconnect the CO2 tank.

Well I was planning on keeping them hooked up, would would be the risk here? Everything will be secure of tipping. And I hope to keep the beer as cold as possible. They will be in a big tub of ice and I will probably add along the way.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Well I was planning on keeping them hooked up, would would be the risk here? Everything will be secure of tipping. And I hope to keep the beer as cold as possible. They will be in a big tub of ice and I will probably add along the way.

I just get nervous with high pressure tanks being hooked up to things in cars.  I'm probably being paranoid.

If you plan on leaving it hooked up I would just try to follow the schedule you normally use.  I don't think the rocking around is going to be significant factor unless you really need to have your tires rebalanced or something.  most of the time the beer probably isn't particularly agitated while you are driving around.  the slightly warmer temperatures will also slow the absorption of the CO2 which could make any increased rate of absoprtion from movement kind of a wash.

if you are really scared you could sample the beer as you go to make sure it's not getting overcarbed.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Thinking about this a bit more my gut says to set it at 20-25psi and leave it at that the entire time.  I have no reason to back that up other than a gut feeling.  I think the movement in the car is going to help get the CO2 into solution faster but I have just guessing here.

ETA:  I typically like my beers carbonated a bit lower than normal.  I think TheGuv will back that up.

Edited by drez77, 28 August 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

Good points. I will probably just do that, just keep it set at 30psi and let it go. Will bring a picnic tap with to sample along the way. No officer no open containers in here!

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

I think 24 hours (ish) is a pretty good amount of time for them to settle. Personally I would secure the kegs well, try to keep them as cold as possible and carb them for the 40-48 hours regardless if they're riding in the car or not. When the carb time is over, disconnect, clear head space, sample and go from there. Keep the kegs as cold as possible from start-of-carb to serving time. I don't see a risk of using the tank to carb during the ride. The tank is going to be in the car anyway.

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thinking about this a bit more my gut says to set it at 20-25psi and leave it at that the entire time. I have no reason to back that up other than a gut feeling. I think the movement in the car is going to help get the CO2 into solution faster but I have just guessing here.

But do you think a whole 24 hours or more faster? I don't want to screw this up, this is Holiday Hug we are talking about!

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

But do you think a whole 24 hours or more faster? I don't want to screw this up, this is Holiday Hug we are talking about!

For me it would be 24-36 hours.  I would start to "sample" after 24 hours and evaluate from there.

let me know how the reaction to that beer is!

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

A couple of comments:

1.  I've been on the wrong end of a tank that tipped over and broke the regulator.  I still have a dime size patch of discoloration on my wrist from the "burn" as I was trying to turn off the CO-2.  If the valve is open, you had better be 110% certain that there is zero chance it will get knocked over.

2.  As a former DUI/OWI attorney, I highly  HIGHLY advise you to not even drain a gram of beer through a cobra tap while en-route.  Trust me on this one... you do not even want to go there.  This is Labor Day weekend.  Cops will be out in full force and enforcing any infraction they can.  Miss using your turn signal and they will stop you.  Then all hell breaks loose.  If they find the keg, they will ask what it is.  You say beer.  Then they ask if you have had any.  If you say "No" and beer is found in the line to the tap, you are in a world of hurt. When it is in your car, it is in the car for transportation only.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

I do not.  Especially with the slight increase in temp.  plus I just gave you an excuse for beer sampling on the way.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

2.  As a former DUI/OWI attorney, I highly  HIGHLY advise you to not even drain a gram of beer through a cobra tap while en-route.  Trust me on this one... you do not even want to go there.  This is Labor Day weekend.  Cops will be out in full force and enforcing any infraction they can.  Miss using your turn signal and they will stop you.  Then all hell breaks loose.  If they find the keg, they will ask what it is.  You say beer.  Then they ask if you have had any.  If you say "No" and beer is found in the line to the tap, you are in a world of hurt. When it is in your car, it is in the car for transportation only.

I wouldn't leave it hooked up while driving around.  I'd wait until I was at a pit stop and I could do it discretely.  he's not going to be drinking enough to be impaired (hopefully) - just enough to check the carb level.  after he's done, empty the line, put it away, and drive off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users