#21 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

I wouldn't leave it hooked up while driving around. I'd wait until I was at a pit stop and I could do it discretely. he's not going to be drinking enough to be impaired (hopefully) - just enough to check the carb level. after he's done, empty the line, put it away, and drive off.

Yeah this would be the plan. To be honest I don't even need to drink it. I can tell by the sample how the carb is coming along, then just have my wife drink it.

#22 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

I wouldn't leave the tank connected if it's going to be in a closed car (instead of having it in the back of a pickup). If the line gets tugged and starts leaking, the car will fill with CO2 and you'll be dead without ever knowing what happened. It's also probably against DOT regulations, which might add to the time you'll spend in jail, if you survive.

#23 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Gee I guess I better just stay home.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Lulz.I understand all the cautionary tales here but I think that if it were done properly, you could do it with no issues. I also hear the idea that beer in the line could get your arrested, etc... I totally get that. But you're not going to be DRUNK if you're pulled over and they think that there has been drinking going on. Plus... where is it that you're driving to? You're in the middle of NC so isn't it just Barney Fife with the one bullet in his shirt pocket overseeing the whole route you're taking??!! :P Enjoy the wedding.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

I wouldn't leave the tank connected if it's going to be in a closed car (instead of having it in the back of a pickup). If the line gets tugged and starts leaking, the car will fill with CO2 and you'll be dead without ever knowing what happened. It's also probably against DOT regulations, which might add to the time you'll spend in jail, if you survive.

have you ever breathed in CO2?  it's burns immediately - I have to think you'd know before you passed out.

#26 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Lulz.I understand all the cautionary tales here but I think that if it were done properly, you could do it with no issues. I also hear the idea that beer in the line could get your arrested, etc... I totally get that. But you're not going to be DRUNK if you're pulled over and they think that there has been drinking going on. Plus... where is it that you're driving to? You're in the middle of NC so isn't it just Barney Fife with the one bullet in his shirt pocket overseeing the whole route you're taking??!! :P Enjoy the wedding.

It's a 10 hour drive if I recall the OP correctly.  

I'm sorry, but having the keg in the car with a line that has any trace of beer in it can be construed by any police officer as an open container.  I seriously would not risk tapping the keg at any point during transportation... especially on a major holiday weekend going through multiple jurisdictions.  You really don't want to be the first one to argue this.  Even if you are "right" they will arrest you first and have you go through the legal process.  

The advice is this... have a clean, dry line for your tap the entire trip.  

have you ever breathed in CO2?  it's burns immediately - I have to think you'd know before you passed out.

From what I hear, plenty of ID10Ts have passed out in their chest freezers from the fermentation.

You know... if you had a truck you could drive and put it all in the bed, it would be better all around.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

It's a 10 hour drive if I recall the OP correctly.  

I'm sorry, but having the keg in the car with a line that has any trace of beer in it can be construed by any police officer as an open container.  I seriously would not risk tapping the keg at any point during transportation... especially on a major holiday weekend going through multiple jurisdictions.  You really don't want to be the first one to argue this.  Even if you are "right" they will arrest you first and have you go through the legal process.  

The advice is this... have a clean, dry line for your tap the entire trip.  

From what I hear, plenty of ID10Ts have passed out in their chest freezers from the fermentation.

You know... if you had a truck you could drive and put it all in the bed, it would be better all around.

from your line of reasoning he shouldn't even have the keg in the car period.  when is a line really dry?  what if he rinsed it out before he left his house and it had water or sanitizer in it?  my hand tap beer lines never fully dry out inside.  there is always a little bit of condensation in there even after a week of hanging up and the tap disassembled.  also - once they see the kegs are they going to search the car?  if they can I'd say it's already gone too far.

I've caught the edge of the CO2 blanket in my chest freezer.  It would not make you immediately pass out.  just burns a little.

#28 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

from your line of reasoning he shouldn't even have the keg in the car period.  when is a line really dry?  what if he rinsed it out before he left his house and it had water or sanitizer in it?  my hand tap beer lines never fully dry out inside.  there is always a little bit of condensation in there even after a week of hanging up and the tap disassembled.  also - once they see the kegs are they going to search the car?  if they can I'd say it's already gone too far.

I've caught the edge of the CO2 blanket in my chest freezer.  It would not make you immediately pass out.  just burns a little.

C'mon... you know very well that dry means the absence of beer in this context.

Clean and dry your line before you leave and pack it away.  

If a cop wanted to inspect the car, right or wrong, it is settled later on at a Probable Cause Hearing.  I think any cop that pulls him over would question the kegs... and if that happens you want to provide proof that the liquid inside them were not accessed at any point during the trip.  

A keg that has gas hooked up to it and a "wet" tap with beer in it will be presumed to be open container.  A keg that is not hooked up with the line stowed away will not be presumed to be an open container.

But by all means, go ahead and suggest that it is acceptable to even tap the line in the car.  After all, what does the guy who used to defend these types of cases know?  As for the chest freezer... yeah... the burn.  I know its not safe, but I like inhaling it anyways.  I've never passed out... just heard about it.  I did get light headed cleaning it out one time after a Hefe blowout.  I quickly learned to use the leaf blower to get the CO2 out first.

:cheers:

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

C'mon... you know very well that dry means the absence of beer in this context.

Clean and dry your line before you leave and pack it away.  

If a cop wanted to inspect the car, right or wrong, it is settled later on at a Probable Cause Hearing.  I think any cop that pulls him over would question the kegs... and if that happens you want to provide proof that the liquid inside them were not accessed at any point during the trip.  

A keg that has gas hooked up to it and a "wet" tap with beer in it will be presumed to be open container.  A keg that is not hooked up with the line stowed away will not be presumed to be an open container.

But by all means, go ahead and suggest that it is acceptable to even tap the line in the car.  After all, what does the guy who used to defend these types of cases know?  As for the chest freezer... yeah... the burn.  I know its not safe, but I like inhaling it anyways.  I've never passed out... just heard about it.  I did get light headed cleaning it out one time after a Hefe blowout.  I quickly learned to use the leaf blower to get the CO2 out first.

:cheers:

I really thought you meant wet - b/c I'd have a bottle of water with me to rinse out the line prior to getting back on the road if I was so paranoid. the more likely reality is I'd just stash the line somewhere hard to get to and out of sight.

I just hold my breath before I stick my head in there (if needed).

#30 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I really thought you meant wet - b/c I'd have a bottle of water with me to rinse out the line prior to getting back on the road if I was so paranoid. the more likely reality is I'd just stash the line somewhere hard to get to and out of sight.

I just hold my breath before I stick my head in there (if needed).

Best practices would be to travel with a line that is nearly as dry as possible without the trace of alcohol in it.  Stowed away and out of sight... absolutely.  I'd just stay away from the temptation.

Have you ever had to clean up a hefe blowout?  Them are a bitch to clean!  I now use a blowoff tube, but even that isn't foolproof if you are putting upwards of 6 gallons in the fermenter.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Best practices would be to travel with a line that is nearly as dry as possible without the trace of alcohol in it.  Stowed away and out of sight... absolutely.  I'd just stay away from the temptation.

Have you ever had to clean up a hefe blowout?  Them are a bitch to clean!  I now use a blowoff tube, but even that isn't foolproof if you are putting upwards of 6 gallons in the fermenter.

I have but I caught it early so it was really just a series of smaller clean ups so not too bad.  this was pre-fermentation chamber.

#32 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Why not just use the "shake method" immediately after kegging to get to your desired CO2 level?  10 minutes or so of rocking/shaking the keg at 25 ish psi should get you around 2 - 3 volumes of CO2.

Let it sit for an hour or 2 and pull a sample.  Good enough?  Leave it.  Too high?  Vent off.  Too little?  Shake and repeat.

Then you avoid having a keg hooked to CO2 during your trip (my original suggestion was to have it all hooked up as you drove).

#33 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Why not just use the "shake method" immediately after kegging to get to your desired CO2 level?  10 minutes or so of rocking/shaking the keg at 25 ish psi should get you around 2 - 3 volumes of CO2.

Let it sit for an hour or 2 and pull a sample.  Good enough?  Leave it.  Too high?  Vent off.  Too little?  Shake and repeat.

Then you avoid having a keg hooked to CO2 during your trip (my original suggestion was to have it all hooked up as you drove).

I know this isn't the preferred method of most on the board but I've had good results with it.  Gets the beer to the taps.

#34 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

That's a bit much. I just wouldn't leave the keg connected with the valve open. I'm probably overcautious, but I try to avoid situations where one thing that can easily go wrong might kill me. 

I work over 400 # dry ice bins, quite often. I've never noticed a burn. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't think I'd notice if my car was slowly filling up with CO2.  I have found myself light headed a number of times, when I lifted my head. I wouldn't have wanted to be driving, at the time. I'd worry that it would be like when you're over tired and your head starts bobbing: you're determined to stay awake, then, suddenly, you're asleep.

Again, I know I'm probably overcautious, but I work with dangerous stuff and I'm used to anticipating where things can go wrong.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I think the CO2 turns into carbonic acid in your nose or something.  it burns for sure.  i've noticed it immediately many times when doing stuff in the fermentation chamber (freezer).

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

so what happened here?  how was the beer?

#37 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

Well, I was kinda avoiding this thread after the direction it took haha. But as long as I don't get scolded here goes. I kegged them Thursday about 7pm and set the reg to 35psi. 3am loaded them up in the car in a big bin with 40lbs. of ice. Left them connected with the tank open the entire ride at 35psi. Along the way I added ice and checked everything a couple times, the beer stayed really cold. I never did pull a sample, just let them be. Got there around 2pm. Bleed the pressure off and had them in my buddies kegerator set at 9psi by 2:01pm. Took a pull and I tell you it what it was the most magnificent pour I have ever seen. Perfect carb, perfect head, nice and cold and all around a delicious beer (drez's Holiday Hug). So set at 35psi for 19 hours with a 10 hour car ride works out perfect. Plus I didn't die.

And drez everyone at the wedding loved the beer! The first keg kicked pretty kick the second made it the rest of the night but not much left. The other beers offered were Southern Tier Live and Pumking, both with plenty left.

#38 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Love success!It has been awhile since I have quick carbed or done anything different than just hook upnto 10 psi, and start pouring in a few weeks, while drinking a different keg at the same pressure. Years ago I did all kinds of techniques, carbing through the dip tube, shaking and rolling for a quick carb...etc...However I actually have a similar situation, I brewed an amber ale for a neighbor who picked the style, and said to just let him know when it was done. I am keeping a keg, and bottlegunning him a full keg to bottles. Now he wants it before the Pats home opener for a party next sunday. So luckily it is already dryhopped and gelatined, so I would like to quick carb it then bottle it midweek. So is 30 psi a pretty standard way to get a solid carb that will bottle well? I just set that up, and I maybe able to bottle in 48 hours, but if I cant- is it OK to just bleed off the head pressure, let stabilize a few hours, then hook back up to 10psi and bottle when I can, 24-72 hours later?I would think so, my concern is having a good absorption that will bottle OK.

#39 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Love success!It has been awhile since I have quick carbed or done anything different than just hook upnto 10 psi, and start pouring in a few weeks, while drinking a different keg at the same pressure. Years ago I did all kinds of techniques, carbing through the dip tube, shaking and rolling for a quick carb...etc...However I actually have a similar situation, I brewed an amber ale for a neighbor who picked the style, and said to just let him know when it was done. I am keeping a keg, and bottlegunning him a full keg to bottles. Now he wants it before the Pats home opener for a party next sunday. So luckily it is already dryhopped and gelatined, so I would like to quick carb it then bottle it midweek.So is 30 psi a pretty standard way to get a solid carb that will bottle well? I just set that up, and I maybe able to bottle in 48 hours, but if I cant- is it OK to just bleed off the head pressure, let stabilize a few hours, then hook back up to 10psi and bottle when I can, 24-72 hours later?I would think so, my concern is having a good absorption that will bottle OK.

that should work

you could speed it up by rocking the keg for a half hour with 30 psi hooked up to it

#40 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

that should work you could speed it up by rocking the keg for a half hour with 30 psi hooked up to it

Cool. I'll check after 48 hours, just may not have the time at that point in my week to bottle then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users