#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

Hi All, back in the Moteuka Saison thread, we got off topic discussing the dry yeast Belle Saison.  Well, 20 days after brew day I can tell you I went from 1.060 to 1.002 with one envelope.  I pitched in the early 70's and let the batch of my Dirty Penny Saison ferment at room temp (75).  The majority of turbulent activity with the dropping of the K happened in the first week.  This yeast tore through my batch.  Last evening I took my reading (1.002) and gave this beer a non-carbed taste test and much to my delight it has the same characteristics of my first batch of Dirty Penny; light, clean, slightly DuPont'y fruity/spicy/sour.  WLP565 is my go to for Saisons and never had a problem with stuck ferments etc...  Belle Saison yielded something very comparable and I intend on keeping a couple in the fridge going forward.  I'll provide a pic of this delicious beer post keg and carb :)

Cheers, Mike

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 29 August 2014 - 05:48 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thank you for the update. I was just reading that thread yesterday wondering about this yeast.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yea, my next batch will be spilt with this yeast thanks to this post. Thanks. I'm still a little hesitant using dry.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

porque?

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

I've not tried it, but I've enjoyed saisons brewed with it. I intend on making one soon though.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Schwanz, remember that rum you took a snort of at Hanahpu?  I took the zest of 2 nice tangerines and added that to 8 ounces of Atlantico rum, which gets strained and added to the keg of this batch. 

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Yea, my next batch will be spilt with this yeast thanks to this post. Thanks. I'm still a little hesitant using dry.

Thinking of trying it in that saison I pm'd you about out.  One will be ready faster and the other can age out and get the fruit.

#8 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

I brewed a batch using Belle Saison.  Pitched at ~68F (rehydrated in water) and fermented at 65F and it got down from 1.060 to 1.005.  I did do a two day "d-rest" at about 75F (moved the fermentor out of the freezer into the living room), crash cooled then kegged.  It's tasty. 

#9 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

Mine with Belle Saison ended up at 1.002 and tasted fantastic.  After that I really have no reason to try any liquid yeast.  You know what they say... once you go bla... I mean, once you try dry, you never... go back(!?).

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

I'm anxious to taste this batch carbed. To me that will determine if I stay 'dry' with my Saisons. I'm hoping it is spot on with my 565 version. If so, I probably won't go back :)

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

I just noticed that I have a pack of the belle Saison in my fridge.  I'm not a huge saison fan, but what the hell...

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

I just noticed that I have a pack of the belle Saison in my fridge.  I'm not a huge saison fan, but what the hell...

I have yet to have one that says "please sir may I have another?" don't get teh attraction

maybe I just need better examplars

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

I have yet to have one that says "please sir may I have another?" don't get teh attraction

A couple guys in the club make really outstanding saisons (and kolsch, too).  But every time I brew either of those, I end up dumping about 2/3 of the keg becasue even though I can appreciate well made examples I just don't care for them enough to have 5 gal. around.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Denny, unless you haven't tried or are not a big fan of DuPont's Moinette, why not fashion a big Saison in Tripel fashion?  That just might get you through a keg :)

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Denny, unless you haven't tried or are not a big fan of DuPont's Moinette, why not fashion a big Saison in Tripel fashion?  That just might get you through a keg :)

No, I like that one a lot.  Although I only usually drink it at Thanksgiving since it goes so well with turkey.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

Saison and it's variants is one of my top 3 styles. Couldn't imagine my stable without one.

#17 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

I never really liked saison either until I brewed my own and we had a Saison Clone War competition in my homebrew club.  All the same recipe with one secret ingredient each.  All were quite different, and all excellent.  I was astounded at how much I loved these saisons.  All used the Belle Saison yeast and all turned out wonderful.  I keep saying "all".... I think there were about 7 or 8 of us who brewed.  Mine took 2nd place I think.  The one that won used agave nectar for the simple sugar addition to assist with dryness... not that this yeast really needs much simple sugar to bring it down.  Beautiful mild Belgiany character, with peppery spice, and a sort of lemony citrus character that is not from the hops.  Very nice.  They all got this.  The top brewers including myself pitched in mid-60s and allowed to rise into mid-70s towards the end of fermentation.  That really seems to work best.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

I never really liked saison either until I brewed my own and we had a Saison Clone War competition in my homebrew club.  All the same recipe with one secret ingredient each.  All were quite different, and all excellent.  I was astounded at how much I loved these saisons.  All used the Belle Saison yeast and all turned out wonderful.  I keep saying "all".... I think there were about 7 or 8 of us who brewed.  Mine took 2nd place I think.  The one that won used agave nectar for the simple sugar addition to assist with dryness... not that this yeast really needs much simple sugar to bring it down.  Beautiful mild Belgiany character, with peppery spice, and a sort of lemony citrus character that is not from the hops.  Very nice.  They all got this.  The top brewers including myself pitched in mid-60s and allowed to rise into mid-70s towards the end of fermentation.  That really seems to work best.

Your description of it makes it sound a lot like what I get from 3711. Even my ferm temp schedule is very similar.

Edited by ettels4, 02 September 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Saison and it's variants is one of my top 3 styles. Couldn't imagine my stable without one.

This says it all.  I get engrossed in the book FA.  I love the fact that a Saison or Farmhouse Ale is a family affair or a collective affair of several farms.  I think that's why the style has so many interpretations.  That's the intriguing part for me personally.  Btw I also like to keep one on hand as consistently as possible. 

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

question

How is the clarity coming out for these?

I made two batches last year with it and niether one would come totally clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users