#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hi All, I'm building up a Amber for this Saturday and it might end up being a Red instead. Pretty simple recipe but with a few twists. I want to hit a decent and deep color and took the idea from Brother Ken's HRR. It has an ample amount of crystal that I know some of you don't care for but I think that with the hop combo and yeast choice it should make for a very interesting and fun drinking ale - spicy/fruity. Not sure how the Mosaic and Cascade will play together, any thoughts on that? I'm half leaning toward taking out the Cascade and replacing with some Amarillo but I've got an Amarillo pale on tap right now... Plus I haven't used Cascade in a while. Input is welcome. Belgian Amber/Red 10# - 85% Kolsch Pils (on hand & needs to be used) .75# - 7% Munich .5# - 4% Special B .5# - 4% 120 1 ounce NB at 45 - 22 IBU 1 ounce Saaz at 10 - 5.5 IBU 1.5 ounce Mosaic at 1 - 3 IBU 1 ounce Cascade at 1 - 1 IBU WLP500 Chimay Est OG 1.056 ~ 6%abv 1 hour mash ~ 148 to try and keep it thin - 60 min rolling boil

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

Based on the overwhelming round of indifference from all my Brew Bros, I'm changing my Sunday brew plan. So, did that recipe suck that hard?

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Nope. Stick with it. I am not totally on board with the anti-crystal dogma so if you think you will like those flavors I say go with it. The difference between C120 and Special B might be pretty subtle or not depending on who the maltsers are.  Also, cascade seems to be overlooked maybe because it is so familiar to people at this point. My guess is that it will play nicely with the Mosaic. Saaz will probably fit in well there too but may not come through all that much when paired with the others, dunno. I have never used the Chimay yeast so I have no idea if the hops will clash or complement it.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thanks kindly (n)ettles! Feelin loved

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

I guess it's difficult to comment. I seems sort of like an APA/American Amber but with Belgian yeast. I haven't used wlp500 in a while so I'm not sure what esters it throws. I'd hate for it to go banana/circus peanut. If it's more pear or bubblegum, it should be ok. The Saaz is also throwing me off. It's very distinctive and I haven't had it with American style hops. Mashing low is a good idea. That kolsch malt seems more like Marris Otter than pils. With the Munich and 1# of crystal you could really end up with a full malty and sweet beer if your mash temp gets away from you.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

I get what you mean, I'm all over with this one.  I've actually changed up my Sunday with a pretty traditional Tripel.  I've never used 500 and from what I read I should ferment low temps.  CWG, I like your comment, "banana/circus peanut."  I don't care for that flavor and I'm afraid of clowns most of the time too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users