#1 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

My very good friend and brewing partner got married last night in a beautiful ceremony. Last year he asked if we could brew the beer for his wedding. Of course I said. No brainer. Well we brewed a saison, amber, blonde and our basil pale ale. I had no idea how stressfull this would be on me. Brewing beer for personal consumption or for friends is one thing but something as important as a wedding was a lot. The beers all turned out great and very few hiccups as far as pouring and logistics were concerned. It was a lot of BMC drinkers so we tailored the styles for that. The saison blew quickly and was our favorite recipe. It's one of my favorite styles and it turned out very nice. Blonde had a little left and I think I am going to keep that in my cycle. Very simple recipe that would definitely make the BMC crowd happy and the craft fans. This was my first experience with "large scale" brewing and so glad it all worked out. We had a very positive response from the crowd which I do think was more than people being polite. Had some homebrewers in the crowd that gave good constructive criticism. Also, as a wedding present his groomsman got him a 10g barrel from Dark Horse distillery that we will use for a barrel aged beer!!

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

We brought down a lot of kegs for drewseslu's wedding in Dallas.  And he had a lot brewed also.  Rehearsal party and the wedding.  Of course we had some BMC and wine available too.  It was fun.  Setup and getting stuff pouring was probably the worst since we went from the rehearsal straight to the party.  Went smoother after the wedding. Glad I took tools.  That's the most I've ever seen drinking stuff I brewed.

#3 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

We brought down a lot of kegs for drewseslu's wedding in Dallas. And he had a lot brewed also. Rehearsal party and the wedding. Of course we had some BMC and wine available too. It was fun. Setup and getting stuff pouring was probably the worst since we went from the rehearsal straight to the party. Went smoother after the wedding. Glad I took tools. That's the most I've ever seen drinking stuff I brewed.

recently? Congrats on the wedding! Hope Drew is doing well. It was cool seeing all that beer of ours being drank

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Nice work! I have had the pleasure to brew for a few weddings now, including my own, and it always a great time!

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

recently? Congrats on the wedding! Hope Drew is doing well. It was cool seeing all that beer of ours being drank

It'll be 5 years 11/28 ( I think ) since the wedding.  We'll be grandparents probably before November gets here.

Braindead Brewpub is getting closer to brewing.

#6 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28298 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Did 50gal for my wedding (5beers) good times.:)That was draft, had a dozen more kinds of beer/mead in bottles.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

My very good friend and brewing partner got married last night in a beautiful ceremony. Last year he asked if we could brew the beer for his wedding. Of course I said. No brainer. Well we brewed a saison, amber, blonde and our basil pale ale. I had no idea how stressfull this would be on me. Brewing beer for personal consumption or for friends is one thing but something as important as a wedding was a lot. The beers all turned out great and very few hiccups as far as pouring and logistics were concerned. It was a lot of BMC drinkers so we tailored the styles for that. The saison blew quickly and was our favorite recipe. It's one of my favorite styles and it turned out very nice. Blonde had a little left and I think I am going to keep that in my cycle. Very simple recipe that would definitely make the BMC crowd happy and the craft fans. This was my first experience with "large scale" brewing and so glad it all worked out. We had a very positive response from the crowd which I do think was more than people being polite. Had some homebrewers in the crowd that gave good constructive criticism. Also, as a wedding present his groomsman got him a 10g barrel from Dark Horse distillery that we will use for a barrel aged beer!!

Nice work! I have had the pleasure to brew for a few weddings now, including my own, and it always a great time!

Did 50gal for my wedding (5beers) good times. :)That was draft, had a dozen more kinds of beer/mead in bottles.

Pretty cool thing to do when most of the people attending get it at least a little bit.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

I won't be allowed to serve my brew at my wedding. I'm a little pissed about that. 

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I won't be allowed to serve my brew at my wedding. I'm a little pissed about that.

Refuse to get married then.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Refuse to get married then.

Yeah, that might not fly so well.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

I could see some places saying that you can't have your own stuff poured at the wedding... which sucks.I have not brewed for anything like that yet. I did go to a NYE party a couple years ago and the host invited us about a month before and said, "You need to bring your beer though!". I considered bottling a bunch of stuff but eventually just brought 2 kegs and left them out on the deck since it was so cold. Most everyday beer drinkers wince at the idea of homebrew and most of these people were just that. I had a blonde ale and an EPA/ESB. Both of them came out nicely. I brought one CO2 tank split for both kegs and 2 picnic taps. I had a lot of compliments on both beers and at some point I looked around the kitchen and everyone was drinking my beer. The host kept pointing to me, "The guy who made it is over there!". I can only imagine the stress for a bigger event like a wedding. Big ups to Corbin for doing his friend such a big solid and for coming through it with cheering beer fans. :P

#12 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

I could see some places saying that you can't have your own stuff poured at the wedding... which sucks.I have not brewed for anything like that yet. I did go to a NYE party a couple years ago and the host invited us about a month before and said, "You need to bring your beer though!". I considered bottling a bunch of stuff but eventually just brought 2 kegs and left them out on the deck since it was so cold. Most everyday beer drinkers wince at the idea of homebrew and most of these people were just that. I had a blonde ale and an EPA/ESB. Both of them came out nicely. I brought one CO2 tank split for both kegs and 2 picnic taps. I had a lot of compliments on both beers and at some point I looked around the kitchen and everyone was drinking my beer. The host kept pointing to me, "The guy who made it is over there!". I can only imagine the stress for a bigger event like a wedding. Big ups to Corbin for doing his friend such a big solid and for coming through it with cheering beer fans. :P

Looking around and seeing people (captive audience of course :) ) lined up to drink your product is pretty cool. We did the same thing with cornies and picnic taps. Kegs were moved to location 24 hours prior but they still had some pouring issues for the first half hour. We had them bleed the kegs and after that they poured really well.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I keep telling people to throw a party and I'll bring beer.  No takers.  Or no one wants me at their house.  I don't seem to have a short supply of takers when the invitation is to my house though <_<

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

I keep telling people to throw a party and I'll bring beer.  No takers.  Or no one wants me at their house.  I don't seem to have a short supply of takers when the invitation is to my house though <_<

Easier to serve it at home so just go with it. Or, how about this: GUV, you're invited to my house for a big party. Could you come and also bring a bunch of your beer? :P

Looking around and seeing people (captive audience of course :) ) lined up to drink your product is pretty cool. We did the same thing with cornies and picnic taps. Kegs were moved to location 24 hours prior but they still had some pouring issues for the first half hour. We had them bleed the kegs and after that they poured really well.

Yes, I had a little bit of that but it didn't last long. I forgot to mention that these beers ended up being very clear and very good so any hesitation that 'standard beer drinkers' would have originally had disappeared. If homebrew is relatively polished-looking, that's step 1. Clearly it has to smell and taste good as well but there is something about cloudy beer that gets your everyday beer drinkers all reluctant to drink it.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

Easier to serve it at home so just go with it. Or, how about this: GUV, you're invited to my house for a big party. Could you come and also bring a bunch of your beer? :P

I'm not sure I'm willing to cross that many state lines with a keg in the car :lol:

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

I had 13 beers on tap at my 40th last year. Also I had 5 gallons of barrel aged Manhattan Cocktail and a keg of ginger beer for dark and stormies. One guest asked where the "real beer" was. I told him it was homebrew or the highway. He left and hung out with his relatives in the neighborhood until his wife was ready to go home. Everyone else had a great time.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

I had 13 beers on tap at my 40th last year. Also I had 5 gallons of barrel aged Manhattan Cocktail and a keg of ginger beer for dark and stormies. One guest asked where the "real beer" was. I told him it was homebrew or the highway. He left and hung out with his relatives in the neighborhood until his wife was ready to go home. Everyone else had a great time.

he wouldn't even try a beer?  or have a dark n stormy?  or a manhattan?

#18 Corbin

Corbin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10630 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

he wouldn't even try a beer?  or have a dark n stormy?  or a manhattan?

yeah, lame.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

yeah, lame.

I sometimes wonder if people had a really bad experience with homebrew when they act like this.

#20 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

All he drinks is Old Style. No biggie. I didn't have any commercial beer. The only pro stuff is cool bottles that friends brought to share. A couple of guys did a sweet goze tasting and my BIL brought several RR sours to share. Fun times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users