#21 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

I don't have any problems with gunky lines. My procedure is to break down a keg after it blows, fill it with hot Oxiclean, soak everything in it, including the broken down tap line(I have all picnic taps) then siphon it thru the beer line.I figure 5 gallons of hot Oxiclean thru the line outa get anything left in there. My taps all hang inside my kegerator and get dunked in starsan after each pour so that keeps the taps from sticking and getting gunky.

#22 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

I have pretty horrible line maintenance. I haven't replaced my lines in years. I haven't noticed anything, but that doesn't say much as my palate is not that sensitive. I don't notice any gunk though, so I guess that's a plus.

What I really want to do is put john guest fittings on the back of the shank so that I can remove and replace  line easily.

Part of the problem for me is that I have 14 taps, and just knowing that it is a big job, and not cheap! I put 10 ft of line per tap, so that is 140 ft of line I need to have.

If I had the money for it, I would do a wholesale replacement using the barrier tubing, just so that I would never have to replace it again.

#23 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

If I had the money for it, I would do a wholesale replacement using the barrier tubing, just so that I would never have to replace it again.

I switched all my lines to icemaker tubing 1.5 yrs ago. I did the research and found it is polyethelene, foodsafe and non-reactive to alcohol. Does not have that plasticy smell like vinyl beerline. Costs me $3 for 20 ft at the hardware store to make (3) 8'4" lines which give a great pour. I stub the ends with pvc beerline to allow plugging on to barbs by soaking the vinyl in boiling water and slipping it on then securing with zip ties. If I change lines I will switch to John Guest 1/4 barb to 1/4 push fittings to make it easier.Posted Image

#24 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've found that when the lines become hard to flex due to built up junk, it's time to clean them.

Important safety tip!

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53800 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

I had two kegs go down over the weekend so I am doing this today. Cleaning & sanitizing both kegs, refilling them and sending the 5 gallons of hot Oxi solution and then Starsan solution through all 4 lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users