#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

I talked with the owner of Copper Tail Brewing in Tampa, Kent Bailey (they have been great in reaching out to local homebrewers) about doing some sort of brewing contest where the winner gets to brew with Casey, their head brewer, and get their beer sold on tap at the tasting room. If the beer is really good then they might invite the winner back to brew it on the 50bbl system, or just to brew a production beer on the 50 bbl.

Well, after getting Kent drunk at a beer fests and a Copper Tail tasting he agreed to do a contest. Casey came up with the idea of doing War Of The Worts! Casey would mash in make an ass load of wort, then whoever wanted to from my club could come by and get up to 20 gallons of wort to turn into beer. We can use whatever hop combinations and yeast we want. The idea is to make a bunch of different beers. Then we bring the beers to Copper Tail and do a tasting/judging and decide the best beer as well as show how different the beers can turn out with different techniques all from the same wort. The winner gets their beer brewed on the pilot system for the tasting room and possibly the big system for distribution if Kent deems it worthy enough. We'd never assume to make them do anything that effected their business.

So, come December or so we're gonna get some wort! Hopefully we can come up with 40 or so beers to make out of it. I'm gonna aim for 4 different beers. I don't know what the wort will be yet.

Cheers!

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

This is a fun idea.  I think BlKtRe was part of something like this with Boulevard.

#3 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

Just your club?

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

A local brewery just did this exact concept just a couple weeks ago.

#5 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wish they'd do something like that around here.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

neat concept

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Just your club?

Yup.

We've been supporting them through tastings and events since they started. Basically, we've been their cheer leaders. They are members of the club, but aren't really active if you can imagine why. When they had a grand opening tour and went to our local bar we had about 35 people there in club shirts doing our beer chant modified for Coppertail...

"What do we want?...BEER!"

"What do we brew?...BEER!"

"Why are we here?...COPPERTAIL!"

The third time we did it the whole bar joined in. You could tell Kent (President) was a little teary eyed when we did it. So this was their way of saying thank you. A bunch of great guys/girls at that brewery and they are going to make waves in the regional beer scene very fast.

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:37 AM

Bells has done this for around 5 years now i believe. Never having picked any up myself, they give 5 gallons of wert out . And i believe they give around 300 gallons out last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users