#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

This guy! Brewed up some Irish red. Finally got the mill working! One question though, does anyone else have a driven mill? The mill has three rollers and one on the top is driven, but the other is coupled with gears. For some reason when I turn the mill on and dump the grain in, the motor seizes up. Now I have a 1 HOP motor on this thing. It's got plenty of ass. When I turn off the motor and turn the pulley a little, then turn on the motor again it runs just fine. I wonder if we shouldn't load the hopper then turn on the mill. Also, I think I need a cast iron pulley for the mill to give it some more inertia. That might help.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

I have a motorized 2 roller mill with a pulley/belt. Mine always seizes up unless I slow feed the hopper with grain until it gets going. Once it's milling  I can fill the hopper. 

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

I have a beefy bodine motor on my malt mill and I have to have the mill running before I dump the grain in.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

I brewed a Red Lager on Friday night... pilsner, some munich, special b and an ounce of dehusked carafe special. Perle, Brewer's Gold, Hallertau Select and Tettnanger for the hops and Wyeast 2005 Mexican Lager yeast. I have a 2-roller Barley Crusher that has been working just fine for me. I have never changed the gap on it and I use a drill on the lowest setting. I fill the hopper first & then I just hit the trigger on the drill and giddy up. No trouble even with wheat in the grist. Seems to work for me. Cheers.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Helped a neighbor brew a Honey Ale.  He has a friend who did some work for a local farmer, and said local farmer also keeps some bees.  Apparently he's got 50 gallons of honey he is having a hard time getting rid of (Sounds like he's not trying too hard), but gave a bunch to the friend, who in turn gave 3 pounds to my neighbor.  Tastes pretty good.  Came from bees that work an alfalfa field.  So... question.

The honey is raw.  My buddy did not add it to the kettle, but will heat it up with water and add it to the primary in a few days.  What temp does he need to get it to and for how long to kill anything?

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

Probably most mead guys would agree that you don't need to heat it at all. I have added room temp honey to fermenting cider before. It sort of sits on the bottom of the fermenter but with a swirl or two a day, the yeast will eventually eat it.

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Probably most mead guys would agree that you don't need to heat it at all. I have added room temp honey to fermenting cider before. It sort of sits on the bottom of the fermenter but with a swirl or two a day, the yeast will eventually eat it.

Even for raw honey?  AFAIK, this has not been pasteurized or anything.  I thought there were risks of introducing something nasty with raw honey.  Or perhaps I'm wrong.

#8 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Even for raw honey?  AFAIK, this has not been pasteurized or anything.  I thought there were risks of introducing something nasty with raw honey.  Or perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm no expert. Hopefully some mead makers will weigh in. I was under the impression that they didn't like heating honey under any conditions.

#9 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

I hope to knock a 5 gallon IPA out tomorrow. Going to try an All Columbus IPA. With a nice base of malts.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

The honey went straight into the fermenter last Friday.

https://www.brews-br...ting/?p=1827342

I've seen mead made several times - it was just added to the fermenter.  I've head you lose aromatics if it's heated or boiled.  I'm no expert though.

#11 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Brewed on Sunday a 4Hands Single Speed clone.  It's their blonde ale brewed with Jasmine flower.  Really nice session blonde with floral and fruit notes.  The Jasmine flower smelled delightful in the kettle!

#12 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

I hope to knock a 5 gallon IPA out tomorrow. Going to try an All Columbus IPA. With a nice base of malts.

I did one of these awhile back.  I caught a hint of onion/garlic but that was when it was super young.  It turned out real nice. 

Here's the link : https://www.brews-br...hl=columbus ipa

#13 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

I brewed up 10gal of a version of CWG's Pumpkin Square recipe. Wort tasted amazing!

#14 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Put an American Brown Ale to bed earlier.  Pils, Munich, C-60, chocolate malt, and roasted barley to an OG of ~1.062, and Columbus (bittering), Tettnanger (flavor) and Cascade (flavor/aroma) to ~44 IBUs.

A fresh slurry of US-05 will handle the heavy lifting in the primary.

Tomorrow morning, a Foreign Extra Stout is on deck.

#15 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

I have a motorized 2 roller mill with a pulley/belt. Mine always seizes up unless I slow feed the hopper with grain until it gets going. Once it's milling  I can fill the hopper. 

Same for me on my Schmidling

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:26 PM

Same for me on my Schmidling

Ha! Mine's a Schmidling too. :cheers: 

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

Ha! Mine's a Schmidling too. :cheers: 

as is mine. 

#18 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Doing a mid-week brew tomorrow. Brewing 5 gal of Kölsch.

#19 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hump Day Brew Day!!! 

10 gallons of Pale ale.  1045 OG 44 IBU  Big dose of Cascade and Simcoe Late.

Just mashed in and its hanging out at 151dF

Time to pour myself a pint.

#20 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

Mine's in the fermenter. 8.5lb pilsner, 1lb wheat, and a little acid malt. I was going to add a few ounces of carahell or carapils but I forgot :( About 1.047 OG, hopped to about 25-30 IBU. Using a cake of WYeast 1007.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users