BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

A couple of pics of my Chinook Pale ale. I have been enjoying. :frank:

Attached File  004.JPG   98.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  005.JPG   63.52KB   0 downloads

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

Excellent work.  Here's hoping the keg doesn't run dry too soon. :frank:

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

Excellent work.  Here's hoping the keg doesn't run dry too soon. :frank:

Thanks. Not too worry, i have 5 gallons of this i have not tapped yet!

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I had always been afraid of Chinook from early on but recently I had a Chinook IPA from a local place and fell in love with it. Shortly after I brewed up a Chinook/Citra apa, man I was wrong about Chinook!

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

I had always been afraid of Chinook from early on but recently I had a Chinook IPA from a local place and fell in love with it. Shortly after I brewed up a Chinook/Citra apa, man I was wrong about Chinook!

great hop, can be a little rough edged, but properly balanced it's nice

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

great hop, can be a little rough edged, but properly balanced it's nice

I agree now, a year ago though I wouldn't have believed you.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hmm. Drez, I am SO with you on that... that is that I have been afraid of it. I had a 'bad experience' with it and haven't used it in 12 years I bet. It was so unbelievably coarse. Maybe I should try it again?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Hmm. Drez, I am SO with you on that... that is that I have been afraid of it. I had a 'bad experience' with it and haven't used it in 12 years I bet. It was so unbelievably coarse. Maybe I should try it again?

Give it a try. I went 2:1 Chinook/Citra at 15 and whirlpool. Very nice beer

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Drezz any initial bittering?

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 16 September 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Give it a try. I went 2:1 Chinook/Citra at 15 and whirlpool. Very nice beer

what was your malt bill, and gravity?

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I wanted a bit of a coarse bittering in my Chinook Black IPA but it was completely smooth. Chinook is a great hop but don't tell anyone. You can still get it at  a reasonable price.

#12 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

I wanted a bit of a coarse bittering in my Chinook Black IPA but it was completely smooth. Chinook is a great hop but don't tell anyone. You can still get it at  a reasonable price.

Coarse bittering... Just use good ol' Cascade.  That guy is a rough bittering hop.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

Here is the Chinook/Citra beer ,sorry for any formatting issues I am posting this from my phone.6g post boil- Mash temp 148Grist72% ( 9#) Pils24% (3#) Marris Otter4% (.5#) CaravienneHops14g Chinook @9028g Chinook @ 1014g Citra @1056g Chinook @whirlpool28g Citra @whirlpool28g Chinook @DH28g Citra @DH56g Falconers flight @ DH (wanted to use it up)Dry Hopping done at 65* for about 6 daysYeastS-05 ( non-rehydrated The HORROR!!!)WaterCalcium – 103Sulfate – 160Chloride – 56quote name="miccullen" post="1830211" timestamp="1410919033"]what was your malt bill, and gravity?[/quote]

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

drez - did you do the 90 min boil b/c of the pils?  My plan is to make something similar to this beer as one of my next brews (transatlantic pale ale test batch and this beer).  I probably won't use pils though.  So maybe just use slightly more chinook at 60 mins?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

drez - did you do the 90 min boil b/c of the pils?  My plan is to make something similar to this beer as one of my next brews (transatlantic pale ale test batch and this beer).  I probably won't use pils though.  So maybe just use slightly more chinook at 60 mins?

yes that is why.  If I was to do this with 2-row I would also adjust and do a 60 minute boil.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53823 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

My brief history with Chinook was a group brew/community brew on a board I was on many years ago. Someone suggested "American Wheat" and they were putting the recipe together and someone said "Half an ounce of Chinook at 60 and that's it". Sounded reasonable to me because I hadn't used them before. Plus... everyone's AA% on the Chinook could have been different too. Anyway, I don't think the application was correct in this case and the beer did not turn out well. I may have still been brewing with extract at the time and I was able to create some decent gold beers back then but not this one.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

My brief history with Chinook was a group brew/community brew on a board I was on many years ago. Someone suggested "American Wheat" and they were putting the recipe together and someone said "Half an ounce of Chinook at 60 and that's it". Sounded reasonable to me because I hadn't used them before. Plus... everyone's AA% on the Chinook could have been different too. Anyway, I don't think the application was correct in this case and the beer did not turn out well. I may have still been brewing with extract at the time and I was able to create some decent gold beers back then but not this one.

i can't imagine a half oz of chinook at 60 minutes would seem so awful to you.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

i can't imagine a half oz of chinook at 60 minutes would seem so awful to you.

Could have been the crop too. Hops change from year to year and the chinook we use today might not be much like the chinook used 10 years ago.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Could have been the crop too. Hops change from year to year and the chinook we use today might not be much like the chinook used 10 years ago.

I think this is a very good point. 

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

i actually have a tough time imagining any hop (assuming it hadn't "gone bad" or something) could contribute enough at that hopping rate for me to really like or dislike it.  I might be able to detect some subtle differences but nothing enough for me to go "bbbllleeeccchhhh"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users