Photo
- - - - -

Amber or Pale.......Pale or Amber.... Who cares right!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

This guy is chilling as I type:

9.25 # of Cargill 2 row

6.75 # of CMC Pale Ale Malt

2 # C60

4 oz Briess Black Malt

Mashed at 151dF

Hops:

1 oz Columbus 14.6% AA FWH

.5 oz Columbus 14.6%AA 60 min

2 oz Simcoe 13% AA 5 min

2 oz Cascade 5.6%AA 5 min

2 oz Simcoe 13% AA Whirlpool

2 oz Cascade 5.6%AA Whirlpool

TG: 1.045

IBU 44

Ferment this with 1272.

I overshot the preboil volume by an extra gallon or so... not sure what happened there so it ended up being a 120 min boil. Not sure how those FWH are going to be in this senario.  The color is nice.  Redish brown.  Can't wait for this one.!!!

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Love the hop bill. Grain bill is a little crystal heavy for me but that is just how I roll,I could be convinced to give it a try though.

#3 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

American Amber then!!!  It loves the crystal....  I had an increase in my normal efficiency and came in at 1.050.  Not mad about it... just something to take in.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16601 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Same percentage of crystal as Sierra Nevada Celebration. Same color crystal too. I'd hit it. You've put together a couple of real nice looking hoppy ales lately.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Same percentage of crystal as Sierra Nevada Celebration. Same color crystal too. I'd hit it. You've put together a couple of real nice looking hoppy ales lately.

That's what I've been doing best!!!  Still haven't had the H2O at the new place tested but the water likes hoppiness!!!  LOL Seriously.  Hoppy beers are all i have wanted lately... same goes for the neighbors or the LHBC... Funny thing is I brewed this so I could brew a lager or two next and still had something to driink.

missed this but LOVEME SOME CELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by johnpreuss, 17 September 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

For some reason it did not click in my head this was for 10G.  11% C-60 makes sense in this beer.

#7 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

For some reason it did not click in my head this was for 10G.  11% C-60 makes sense in this beer.

So.... I just looked at the OP and I guess I never stated this was for a 10 gallon batch.  Well it is.  I think a 5 gallong batch with that many late addtions would end up being vegetal.  Or not but I'd rather not try and be right.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:57 PM

So.... I just looked at the OP and I guess I never stated this was for a 10 gallon batch. Well it is. I think a 5 gallong batch with that many late addtions would end up being vegetal. Or not but I'd rather not try and be right.

Nah, I've put that much or more in a 5 gal batch no problem.

#9 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

Nah, I've put that much or more in a 5 gal batch no problem.

You're probably right, HOWEVER, I bet you end up with Cat pee with 4 oz of Simcoe  late in a 5 gallon batch. 

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

You're probably right, HOWEVER, I bet you end up with Cat pee with 4 oz of Simcoe late in a 5 gallon batch.

Could be, I've never brewed with Simcoe for that reason.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:20 AM

You're probably right, HOWEVER, I bet you end up with Cat pee with 4 oz of Simcoe  late in a 5 gallon batch. 

Nope ...I do not think you would.  At least I have not from my experience.  All of the 100% Simcoe beers I have done have never tasted like cat pee.  The cat pee flavor, from what i have read, is really dependent on where it is grown and where it is picked.  But I love Simoce.. YCR-14 for life!!

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

So.... I just looked at the OP and I guess I never stated this was for a 10 gallon batch.  Well it is.  I think a 5 gallong batch with that many late addtions would end up being vegetal.  Or not but I'd rather not try and be right.

I did just look at the American Amber recipe I have been toying with and I am up at 9% crystal and I could see getting close to 11%.  So I retract my crystal statement.

#13 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

I've never gotten cat pee out of them either.  Must only be Basser.  The only weird flavor / aroma I have ever had was from Columbus being oniony/garlicy and that was only VERY VERY young and that passed.

#14 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

Matt you were right... no problems here..  No vegetal/cat pee/off flavors of any sort.  It's just kegged and carbed.. Resiny/piney ... Cascade is taking a back seat I think to the simcoe that or it's a kick a$$ combination on the hop bill.  Once the crud all settles out ( I gelled it and I still have some floaters ) I'll get a pic of this one.  Nice dark red/reddish brown color.  Glad I brewed 10 gallons of this stuff.  Oh yeah it finished up at 1.012 putting it at 5% which is right where I wanted it.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

Nice! Look forward to the pic. I plan on ordering Simcoe this year and brewing with it for the first time.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Nice! Look forward to the pic. I plan on ordering Simcoe this year and brewing with it for the first time.

Try my simcoe APA, everyone that has had that beer really likes it.

#17 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image

I wish it was a better pic but it's snowing and raining here so no shot with the sun to show how clear this thing got.  1272 and gel... it's a winner.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Snowing!

#19 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

Snowing!

Yes... it was snowing... :crazy:

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16601 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

John that beer looks awesome. Love the color and the thick sticky head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users