#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hi All,I’m setting up for a 10 gallon batch that will be split into 2 fermenters (I typically do 5 gal batches). I know what gravity I need to hit based on my equipment and comfort level of having a 9.5 gallon boil to yield ~ 8 gallons post boil. I will be topping off both fermenters.Half will turn into a Saison and the other half will head toward an APA. I want/need some crystal in my APA and I’m thinking about steeping XX amount on the stove and then rendering it down, chilling and pitching into the APA fermenter. Also after I cut the boil on the crystal, I want to steep additional hops for that APA flavor. I’ve only made one 10 gallon batch before and it was all the same. This one will have differences obviously. Am I thinking this through logically? Is this a good way to incorporate some crystal into a batch? Any suggestions?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:51 AM

I think your idea about incorporating the crystal makes sense.  I guess I'd make sure your grain to water ratio for the crystal and your boil off rate for the crystal only wort is the vicinity of normal.

I think you are in a tough spot on the hops.  if you put them into the crystal wort I'd guess you wouldn't get as much out of them as if you put them in a larger amount of liquid.  I think I'd probably just rely on dry hopping for the APA to get where you want to be.

Edited by TheGuv, 18 September 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the response Guv Baby. I'm thinking that whatever wort I generate from the crystal will also add to compensate for my topping off the batch. I'm going to remain realistic that the gravity of both batches will probably not be 100% accurate from this one experiment too. I like the idea of gaining a bunch of flavor by dry hopping.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for the response Guv Baby. I'm thinking that whatever wort I generate from the crystal will also add to compensate for my topping off the batch. I'm going to remain realistic that the gravity of both batches will probably not be 100% accurate from this one experiment too. I like the idea of gaining a bunch of flavor by dry hopping.

yeah - there will be some variables here for sure.  you could always put the crystal only wort into a bucket and then top it off with the other wort.  whatever is left gets to be saison.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

True. I've got a little time as this batch is second in line. I was turned on to a very cool calculator here that helped me find my gravity; the second calculator https://www.brewersf...ity-calculator/

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

True. I've got a little time as this batch is second in line. I was turned on to a very cool calculator here that helped me find my gravity; the second calculator https://www.brewersf...ity-calculator/

i typically just make some assumptions about how my brew day will go and just have at it.  i figure any way you slice it I end up with beer unless something goes horribly wrong.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

That's nice to hear. While just about every beer I make begins with Beersmith, there have been a few occasions that an unexpected brew day comes up and I jot down some notes and just make a beer and then back that information into the program. It's fun to see what you get simply based on your knowledge of ingredients and your own brew rig. Not many guys sign up to that.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

That's nice to hear. While just about every beer I make begins with Beersmith, there have been a few occasions that an unexpected brew day comes up and I jot down some notes and just make a beer and then back that information into the program. It's fun to see what you get simply based on your knowledge of ingredients and your own brew rig. Not many guys sign up to that.

I still use some tools to formulate the recipes and estimate what I expect my gravities to be but if I end up more/less efficient than planned it's not that big of a deal for me usually.

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi All,I’m setting up for a 10 gallon batch that will be split into 2 fermenters (I typically do 5 gal batches). I know what gravity I need to hit based on my equipment and comfort level of having a 9.5 gallon boil to yield ~ 8 gallons post boil. I will be topping off both fermenters.Half will turn into a Saison and the other half will head toward an APA. I want/need some crystal in my APA and I’m thinking about steeping XX amount on the stove and then rendering it down, chilling and pitching into the APA fermenter. Also after I cut the boil on the crystal, I want to steep additional hops for that APA flavor. I’ve only made one 10 gallon batch before and it was all the same. This one will have differences obviously. Am I thinking this through logically? Is this a good way to incorporate some crystal into a batch? Any suggestions?

How do you chill? Splitting this batch would be easier with a plate or counterflow. At the end of boil, fill saison fermenter with half of wort. Then add caramel malt solution and bunch o'hops to hot kettle. Steep for 20 minutes then fill second fermenter with APA,

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I have the luxury of an immersion chiller. It's all going to get chilled. Or maybe I can rack off 5 gallons into my water kettle... hmmm...

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have the luxury of an immersion chiller. It's all going to get chilled. Or maybe I can rack off 5 gallons into my water kettle... hmmm...

not a bad option.  why not try to boil as much as you can in that kettle anyway?  no one told me about this other kettle!!!

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yep, rack off half into the hlt then doctor up the other half with hops and caramel malt.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

This is all very good input, thanks fellas.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Why not just do 2 seperate back to back 5 gallon batches?

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Time. I am trying to maximize my brew day in the same timeframe. Or close to it as possible. Of course there's quality over quantity.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users