#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

I have the fall pack from SNBC. Pale Ale, Tumbler, Oktoberfest, and Vienna Lager. Pale ale is good as ever. Tumbler is damn tasty. Oktoberfest isn't as good as I'd like, there's something there that isn't quite right, may be hoppier (noble) than I'd expect.

That brings me to the Vienna Lager. Woah. That is the best lager I've ever had in my life. It's a really damn good beer. I'm going to have to reproduce it. It's one of those beers that when you take that first sip, something clicks in your head and you have an oh shit moment, but in a good way. I've been working my way through this 12 pack this week and I'm saving the Vienna as a treat and drinking it last.

I'm going to have to bug Basser about the recipe for this one.

Cheers!

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I agree with the Oktoberfest being a let down. It's too big, too sweet. I didn't care for it at all.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

I miss tumble, I am going to have to look for this pack on the way home.  Sadly, I am still working through Beer Camp too.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

The beer camp beers were pretty good. First Belgian Pale Ale I've really liked.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53921 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

The beer camp beers were pretty good. First Belgian Pale Ale I've really liked.

I haven' tried the Vienna but if Dr. Basser is willing to share any information on it, it would be great. This is a style I make fairly often and what I really like about it (other than that it can be delicious) is that it's not really made in Vienna any longer and many American breweries don't make it properly. So it's the perfect beer to try to make as a homebrewer because it's hard to find a good one. Rich, can you take a pic of it and/or give us a verbal description of it? Smooth, hoppy, dark, amber, what kind of yeast (if you can tell), etc?

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I miss tumble, I am going to have to look for this pack on the way home.  Sadly, I am still working through Beer Camp too.

drezz, what were a couple of your fav's?

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

A good Vienna lager is something special, IMO.  It tastes like what beer should taste like.  I'll have to try the SNBC version, I didn't know they were making one.

#8 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

I had a few of the Beer Camp beers at a brewfest in VT recently and the Russian River, Allagash, and New Glarus brews were my favorites...outstanding!

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

drezz, what were a couple of your fav's?

I had a few of the Beer Camp beers at a brewfest in VT recently and the Russian River, Allagash, and New Glarus brews were my favorites...outstanding!

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I have only had 3-4 of them but my favorite so far wast Yvan the Great from Russian River.  I was disappointed in any of the hoppy offerings.[/font]

#10 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]I have only had 3-4 of them but my favorite so far wast Yvan the Great from Russian River.  I was disappointed in any of the hoppy offerings.[/font]

I preferred the allagash belgian pale ale to yvan the great but that was my second favorite

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

I preferred the allagash belgian pale ale to yvan the great but that was my second favorite

Have yet to get to that one.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Definitely want to try the new Vienna Lager based on Schwan's description. Sounds fantastic.Re; Beer Camp, you all know I really enjoyed the Tater Ridge and I thought Ivan was pretty awesome. I too was not impressed with the hoppier styles t'all.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

I didn't care for the Tumbler either but a lot of Brothers love it. So it goes.... And why would they add Pale Ale when it's always available?

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

I didn't care for the Tumbler either but a lot of Brothers love it. So it goes.... And why would they add Pale Ale when it's always available?

Declining sales of Pale? Trying to get people to buy it again? I have not had it in quite some time. Did pick up the Fall pack today. Real curious about this Vienna. I made Jamil's Vienna back at the beginning of August and kegged it last week. Taste did not impress me going into the keg but I don't think that means much.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Brother Basser?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53921 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Brother Basser?

He's been a little scarce here. I can't imagine that he would be able to share much. The Vienna intrigues me because making a good one is tough and many people want to add crystal or something to it which is not correct. Most American breweries probably want to hop it up more than it should be as well. Jamil's Vienna is very nice but I sometimes want to bring it down a little bit and make it more like a Mexican Vienna (smaller beer, possibly lighter in color, etc). I may go hit the local bottle shop and see if I can find the Fall Pack and try it myself.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Sierra Nevada Vienna Lager

From their website...

ABV 5.3%

12.6º plato

2.7º plato

IBU 28

Hops/Bittering-Mandarina, Bravo

Hops/Finishing- Mandarina, Crystal

Malts-Vienna, Munich, CaraRed

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53921 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sierra Nevada Vienna LagerFrom their website...ABV 5.3%12.6º plato2.7º platoIBU 28Hops/Bittering-Mandarina, BravoHops/Finishing- Mandarina, CrystalMalts-Vienna, Munich, CaraRed

Mandarino? See, every time I turn around there is some hop I have never heard of.I will say this, American breweries typically use hops that probably would not be used in an authentic version of the style. One local brewery here makes a kolsch with Nugget and Santiam. It's actually a very nice beer but an unusual hop choice as I would also call this one. The Crystal hops make some amount of sense as a finishing hop. Now I need to go look up Mandarina.EDIT: I see that Mandarina is the daughter of Cascade and has a pleasant tangerine and citrus character. Listed as an aroma hop.

Edited by KenLenard, 19 September 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16612 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

Just had a sip of my wife's. Nice beer. More hop character than I would have guessed from style descriptions. "Reminds" me of Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Little less hoppy though and more bready. Clearly different but similar if that makes any sense at all.

ETA: Maybe I am crazy but I would swear there is a house character to Sierra Nevada's beers. Not an unpleasant one but something that I get in just about every one of their beers. Anyone else get this?

Edited by nettles, 19 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

Mandarino? See, every time I turn around there is some hop I have never heard of.I will say this, American breweries typically use hops that probably would not be used in an authentic version of the style. One local brewery here makes a kolsch with Nugget and Santiam. It's actually a very nice beer but an unusual hop choice as I would also call this one. The Crystal hops make some amount of sense as a finishing hop. Now I need to go look up Mandarina.EDIT: I see that Mandarina is the daughter of Cascade and has a pleasant tangerine and citrus character. Listed as an aroma hop.

My kolsch and alt is bittered with nugget. Very nice smooth bittering hop IMO. I finish with nobles though like tett, hallertau or saaz.

I have one vienna left. I'll have to try it tonight or tomorrow night and take a picture. 

Someone said eariler it's what you expect beer to taste like. That's a pretty damn good description. It's not often that the flavor/aroma match your expectations in your minds eye, but that vienna does it in spades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users