#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hey All, I'm working up a sort of Wee Heavy and I've had a pound of smoked cherry malt sitting around for about 6 months (stored correctly). Adding the whole pound would total 5% of the grist. Would this amount show through, get lost in the crowd or show through prominently? I've never used it so I have no baseline. Thanks, Mike

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

it's really hard to predict without having used that particularly batch of smoked malt.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

I agree with studs .. er Theguv .. er ... Evil_Morty that it is hard to say but my gut tells me 5% will not be overpowering in that beer and will be in the background.  I use 2#'s of 13% in my smoked brown and it is smokey but not overpowering IMO.  I say go for it!

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

I agree with studs .. er Theguv .. er ... Evil_Morty that it is hard to say but my gut tells me 5% will not be overpowering in that beer and will be in the background.  I use 2#'s of 13% in my smoked brown and it is smokey but not overpowering IMO.  I say go for it!

You forgot J_Mashley_Williams.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

if I knew nothing I would tend to agree.  when I've used smoked malt I generally wish I had used a little more.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

NO smoke in a wee heavy!  For the love of God, don't do it!

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't understand why the hell that was ever included in the guidelines. I don't think there's any scotch ale in scotland that uses smoked malt or smoked peat in the mash or anything like that. It has nothing to do with smoky scotches (liquor).

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

I don't see a problem if he isn't entering it into a comp or something.  If he likes that style with some smoked malt I say brew it up!

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

I don't understand why the hell that was ever included in the guidelines. I don't think there's any scotch ale in scotland that uses smoked malt or smoked peat in the mash or anything like that. It has nothing to do with smoky scotches (liquor).

The guidelines have been altered to remove it.  I have never tasted a wee heavy (other than homebrews) that tasted smoky.

I don't see a problem if he isn't entering it into a comp or something.  If he likes that style with some smoked malt I say brew it up!

Sure, you could even put peanut butter in it!  ;)

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm laughing. Feeling like I'm between brothers arguing and in a sense it's very comforting. Smoke no smoke what's a guy to do?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

I don't see a problem if he isn't entering it into a comp or something. If he likes that style with some smoked malt I say brew it up!

Got to agree,brew what you want to drink.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

Got to agree,brew what you want to drink.

I'm not saying don't use it, I'm saying it's not traditional to use and don't use smoked malt on a scotch ale because you think it ought to have peat/smoke flavor/aroma to be in the bjcp style. Use it because that is the flavor you want in the beer. I don't put anything in my beer that isn't there for flavor/aroma/mouthfeel/color. That doesn't mean I don't go outside the bjcp guidelines, either. 

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 22 September 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

This batch, like all to date is being designed for me not for comp. but I always listen to you guys. A lot of time I find myself editing a batch because of y'all's input. This particular batch seems to have room for a mere 5% smoke. I've been warned.

#14 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

This batch, like all to date is being designed for me not for comp. but I always listen to you guys. A lot of time I find myself editing a batch because of y'all's input. This particular batch seems to have room for a mere 5% smoke. I've been warned.

Go for it.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

I'm laughing. Feeling like I'm between brothers arguing and in a sense it's very comforting. Smoke no smoke what's a guy to do?

Do what you like to drink.  But if you care to drink something like a real wee heavy, leave it out.  If you like smoked beers, use it.

BTW, keep in mind that I'm the guy who puts mushrooms in my wee heavy!  :)

Edited by denny, 23 September 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

Do what you like to drink.  But if you care to drink something like a real wee heavy, leave it out.  If you like smoked beers, use it.   BTW, keep in mind that I'm the guy who puts mushrooms in my wee heavy!  :)

Haha, don't think I wasn't thinking that.  Cheers!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users