#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

Sounds pretty easy right?  Just don't rehydrate it.  Well how about best practices?  For instance, when I do rehydrate I generally let the yeast come up to room temp before putting it into the water.  Should I do this for dry pitching?  Should I swirl the dry yeast in or just let it sit on top and slowly fall in on it's own?  Give me the deets non-rehydrators!

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 September 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

In the very rare instance I would use dry yeast and not rehydrate, I would have the wort in the primary and have it oxygenated and hopefully in the low 60s or something and I would just sprinkle it over the top of the wort, seal up the primary and get it to a spot where the temp would be maintained. I don't think I would swirl the carboy but once activity started, I think you could treat it like any other yeast. When I did rehydrate it, it was in room temp wort which some here have said was a no-no. Oopshie.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

should i let the packet warm up before pitching it into the wort?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

My guess is that it won't make that much difference, but yeah might as well.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Agreed. I would probably take it out of the fridge at the beginning of the brewday and by the time it was ready to pitch it, no worries. In the times I used dry yeast, I can't say I really noticed anything different than using the liquid counterpart (which in most cases would have been 1056 because US-05 was used more than any other dry yeast). Cheers.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Dry yeast package is on the bench during brew day. After wort is in the carboy and had some time to settle I snip the sanitized package with sanitized scissors, dump contents into the carboy, attach airlock or cover with foil. At this point I throw the remaining package out and continue with my day.Don't over think this!

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Dry yeast package is on the bench during brew day. After wort is in the carboy and had some time to settle I snip the sanitized package with sanitized scissors, dump contents into the carboy, attach airlock or cover with foil. At this point I throw the remaining package out and continue with my day.Don't over think this!

Would you give it a gentle swirl at all to get it all covered with wort? I pitched dry yeast once and came back the next day to check activity and there was still the pile of dry yeast just sitting there right in the middle!

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Would you give it a gentle swirl at all to get it all covered with wort? I pitched dry yeast once and came back the next day to check activity and there was still the pile of dry yeast just sitting there right in the middle!

yes, swirl

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

yes, swirl

Or sprinkle it so that there isn't a "pile" of yeast. If it was distributed evenly, I think it would have got into suspension on it's own.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:42 AM

What they said!  I gently swirl to disperse the yeast on the top of the wort.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

Or sprinkle it so that there isn't a "pile" of yeast. If it was distributed evenly, I think it would have got into suspension on it's own.

Well that's hard to do in a carboy.But yeah figured everyone had to be swirling to some effect to get it to absorb. So what would the difference be if you just poured it in first and racked on top? Will also aerating with the yeast in.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

Well that's hard to do in a carboy.But yeah figured everyone had to be swirling to some effect to get it to absorb. So what would the difference be if you just poured it in first and racked on top? Will also aerating with the yeast in.

I do it in a carboy.  I guess evenly may have been the wrong word and not in a pile would have been better.  I just make sure to try and make sure none ( or on a small amount) of the yeast gets stuck on the side of the carboy.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:20 AM

so I ferment in buckets or similar containers.  I can pretty easily sprinkle the yeast around the surface to avoid any big piles in one spot.  seems like I should just do this and no swirly swirls?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

so I ferment in buckets or similar containers.  I can pretty easily sprinkle the yeast around the surface to avoid any big piles in one spot.  seems like I should just do this and no swirly swirls?

If I use the "red top" fermenters I do just as you indicated.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

If I use the "red top" fermenters I do just as you indicated.

word up.  this batch coming up is getting split into 2 5 gallon buckets but pretty much same deal.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

word up.  this batch coming up is getting split into 2 5 gallon buckets but pretty much same deal.

Indeed it is.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Makes absolutely no difference AFAIK.  With liquid, it's preferable to pitch the starter right out of the fridge, without letting it warm up.  With dry, the yeast is in "suspended animation" so it shouldn't matter.  I've pitched without rehydration by just sprinkling it on top and letting it sit there.  I never aerate when I use dry yeast because it isn't necessary IMO.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Makes absolutely no difference AFAIK.  With liquid, it's preferable to pitch the starter right out of the fridge, without letting it warm up.  With dry, the yeast is in "suspended animation" so it shouldn't matter.  I've pitched without rehydration by just sprinkling it on top and letting it sit there.  I never aerate when I use dry yeast because it isn't necessary IMO.

I forgot to mention that, although my steps outlined it, I do not oxygenate the wort.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

so i followed the general advice.  the wort got some oxygen from flying down from the first floor of my house to the basement via silicone hose (it was movin!).  the yeast packets sat on the counter in the kitchen for about an hour or so before pitching.  I sprinkled them evenly over the surface of the wort and then closed the buckets up and left them alone.

so far no activity.  it's been about 21.5 hours since pitching.  i know lag isn't a huge deal but it always scares me.  every.  freakin'.  time.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 27 September 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:15 AM

I usually have positive pressure in that time and full activity by hour 36.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users